PDA

View Full Version : Lower cost propane

Bisjoe
05-24-2018, 03:51 AM
With one of my tanks getting low, I was looking for a place to refill well in advance, and happened to need one for the BBQ grill. Normally I do the exchange, which cost $19.95-22 locally. With the TT having 7 gallon tanks, that won’t work, so I stopped by the nearby 76 gas station which sells LP. It was over $5/gallon so I passed. Then while going to Costco I saw a sign that said “LP refills here” at a welding supply, so brought in the tank and found their price was just $2.75. Filled it for $14 and change. Now I know where to go when the 7 gallon runs out.

jsmith948
05-24-2018, 04:23 AM
Yeah - $5 is just crazy. We do the exchange thing for the 5 gal grill tank. More expensive, but, convenient and we always have a recently certified tank.
We always try to fill the 7gal camper tanks at the local propane distributor - usually pay under $3 a gallon.

Robert Foust
05-24-2018, 04:48 AM
We visited family in North Carolina in March. Although unintentional, we were camping in snow, sleet and ice for one week! I became an expert on exchanging tanks for the furnace. For a quick turnaround, we discovered that Walmart/Walmart Market exchanges for $15. Propane is rarely a good deal, but using one tank every 1.5 days made exchanges a necessity. BTW, we have just returned this week from the same location, and the weather was awesome - only propane used was for BBQ!

Eastham
05-24-2018, 05:42 AM
The only trouble with a rhino tank exchange is you only get 15lbs of propane you can take that same tank to a regular propane place and they put 20 lbs for about the same price as rhino exchange

JRTJH
05-24-2018, 05:46 AM
Most Tractor Supply locations also sell propane and are usually on the extreme low end of local sales prices. Here, TS sells propane for $2.35/gal. That's less than $10 for a 5 gallon tank (actually with the 20% valve, it's 4.2 gal). Also, Amerigas and the local propane distributors fill small propane containers at their "main location". They are usually competitive with TS pricing.

There is no need to pay "outrageous" prices unless you get caught with empty tanks in a remote area on a Sunday night ("emergency situations")

wiredgeorge
05-24-2018, 06:12 AM
Some U-Haul places carry propane a lot cheaper than $5 a gallon as well.

66joej
05-24-2018, 06:15 AM
Last winter in Bullhead City AZ ( not a large city). Filled up 30#ers twice. First time got stung at a gas station/propane refueler (Jeff's Propane) $28 ea. Second time after talking to some locals filled them at a plumbing/heating company (Mesa Pipe and Supply) $13 ea. It pays to ask and shop around. The draw with the first one was that MHs can get in and out with no problem but for portable tanks no need for a big lot dealer.

xrated
05-24-2018, 07:36 AM
I just had a 30 lb. tank filled a month or so ago at a local propane dealer.....$2.39 gallon.

Dave W
05-24-2018, 07:52 AM
The guy that I've been using for years just went out of sight with $4.35/gallon. I checked at Tractor Supply a few days ago and it was about $2.75/gallon. Sorry, old friend but you gotta talk to your supplier as even one of the local guys where we spend much of the summer was a bunch less ($2.65) and in the boonies.

It never ceases to amaze me that propane is so expensive as it is really a waste product from the crude oil distillation process with much of it being flared off with the other waste gasses at every refinery

kjohn
05-30-2018, 07:45 PM
I just had two 20 lb. tanks filled at our local tire shop - $50. I started a farm tractor salvage yard back in 1974. We used propane for cutting up scrap iron. We paid $2 for 20 lb. and $12 for 100 lb.. Oh well, my pay wasn't very high for a couple of years either!

Pull Toy
05-31-2018, 03:12 AM
Usually the only time I use exchange tanks is when my current tank is set to expire, and needs recertification. I try to pick an available tank with the longest expiration date. Lots cheaper than a brand new tank, even at Wally world.

I've never had a vendor refuse to refill a Rhino tank, unless the expiration date has arrived. Check your local shopper mailers for coupons. The local Agway usually has a coupon once or twice a month for an $8 refill for an empty 20#er.

Good Luck,

Gegrad
05-31-2018, 05:05 AM
Yeah, if you are a Costco member they definitely have inexpensive propane. Can usually fill a 20 lb tank for $10-12, depending on propane prices. Seems to be the best deal around here by a decent amount.

rdemore
06-07-2018, 07:54 AM
We always use TSC to fill our tanks at about the same $2.35 / gal. Another advantage is that the tanks are filled 100% full. Due to DOT regulations, tanks that are exchanged are only 80% full.

TSC is the only way to go

bfisher003
06-07-2018, 08:14 AM
We always get our tanks refilled and have found good, low prices at propane dealers, U-Haul, Tractor Supply and many other places.

rogeru
06-07-2018, 09:34 AM
I found that you have to watch out if you are trading out tanks, such as Amerigas or Rhino. The 20 tank I was about to buy was out of certification! Good thing I checked. That's not to say that either of those companies did this....I don't even remember what brand. Just needed it for the BBQ grill.

MattE303
06-07-2018, 11:09 AM
Just in case this is relevant for anyone, if you are on propane at home, most delivery services will fill small tanks (BBQ, RV, etc) if you leave them next to your residential tank.

Whitewolf
06-07-2018, 04:35 PM
A couple of weeks ago we camped for our first outing this season. We chose a KOA about an hour away. I needed to fill a 30 pounder. They filled tanks there and I didn't feel like driving around looking for a deal. Good thing because I think I got a deal.

They filled the tank old school. No scale. He opened the overflow screw and when gas came out he closed the screw and shut down the pump.

Cost me $20. I was a very happy camper. :bdance:

gearhead
06-07-2018, 06:02 PM
Exports, exports, exports. Mostly to Asia. Same thing with diesel.
Supply and demand, the old capitalism bugaboo.
The refinery I worked at for 35 years you better not be flaring propane, or anything else for that matter. $$$ up in smoke.

66joej
06-07-2018, 06:29 PM
Exports, exports, exports. Mostly to Asia. Same thing with diesel.
Supply and demand, the old capitalism bugaboo.
The refinery I worked at for 35 years you better not be flaring propane, or anything else for that matter. $$$ up in smoke.

Worked in the oil patch in the 60s/70s. Seemed every gas well in southern Alberta had a 24 hr. flare. Ah the good old days no budgets just spend. I guess it is catching up to us.

gearhead
06-08-2018, 06:07 AM
Worked in the oil patch in the 60s/70s. Seemed every gas well in southern Alberta had a 24 hr. flare. Ah the good old days no budgets just spend. I guess it is catching up to us.
Yep. After 35 years downstream in a petrochemical complex where it was "BUDGET BUDGET BUDGET" I retired and then went back contract. I did about 2 years in the EagleFord Shale near Laredo, some time on the doomed Arctic drilling project, and work for eastern shale nat gas compressor stations. Those it was "WHAT BUDGET?"

gearhead
06-08-2018, 06:13 AM
Yep. After 35 years downstream in a petrochemical complex where it was "BUDGET BUDGET BUDGET" I retired and then went back contract. I did about 2 years in the EagleFord Shale near Laredo, some time on the doomed Arctic drilling project, and work for eastern shale nat gas compressor stations. Those it was "WHAT BUDGET?"
You might find this site interesting...a new post every few days...
https://rbnenergy.com/

johnlewis
06-11-2018, 06:40 PM
When we were full-timing, we found Tractor Supply to almost always to be the cheapest price around. Unfortunately, the price has gone up, but the Tractor Supply in Green Valley, AZ, where we last filled up, was $2.45/gal.

wh1t3man
06-12-2018, 07:48 AM
We use a local residential supplier. Their lot is big enough to pull our TT through, and fill em right on the trailer. Last trip we filled up a whole 30#, and part of another for $21. Locally owned!

All American Propane in the Mottman industrial park, Olympia, WA. (No affiliation)

Or TSC if its after 5.

Dave W
06-12-2018, 08:38 AM
About 15 minutes ago - Tractor Supply $2.99/gallon (plus 7% tax or $3.20/gallon). Supplier is Amerigas and their tank was being filled as I checked

Ductape
06-12-2018, 08:38 AM
We now use the local BJs Wholesale Club for our propane fills. Eleven dollars and 25 cents for a 20lb fill.

I'm not even going to publicly admit we filled at the Aubuchon Hardware @ eighteen dollars for a 20 pounder for several years before we realized BJs sells propane.

:banghead:

SummitPond
08-02-2018, 05:10 AM
Seed and Feed stores also (usually) have good prices on LP.

And CW is (I believe) still running a one day a week special with a steep discount if you are a GS member.

cavediver
08-02-2018, 06:26 AM
If they have one in your area a welding supply house might have it. Ours is about $2 cheaper then propane dealers around here. For a 20lb tank.

byrdr1
08-02-2018, 07:35 AM
Local propane shop. and sells high grills, green eggs type things.
$10 for 20 lb tank. $17 for the 30 lb tank.
I get on him telling him, he ripping me on the 30lb tank that it should not be over $15 and he tells me I got to make a living..
we are good friends now..
he feeds off those high end grills every Friday from 11-2pm..
sales promotion, he wants me to buy a grill and I just cant seem to spend over $2k on a grill.

randy