PDA

View Full Version : Cougar 5th wheel water leak in underbelly

Howie
05-22-2018, 08:12 PM
I just purchased a 303rls and upon hooking up from previous owner I noticed water running out of the underbelly weather proofing indicating a water leak somewhere under the main floor. I disconnected city water and turned pump on to supply holding tank water. I did not hear the pump turning on and off as I expected if I had a fresh water line leak. I am wondering if I have a grey or black water line leak but don't know how to investigate.

Any ideas on where to start and how to remove the underbelly seal/covering to get to look at suspected areas?

flybouy
05-23-2018, 03:52 AM
I would think your sense of smell would alert you to a black or gray water leak. Easiest way to tell if a fresh water leak is to turn on city water and purge air from faucets. Then turn water off at spigot but leave hose connected. Wait about 10 min and then open an inside faucet. There should still be pressure when you open the faucet for a second if the system is not leaking. Water leaks can be challenging to track down as the water can run in any direction before escaping. Typically the cloroplast underbelly is fastened with self tapping screws that like to break when you go to remove them.

Howie
05-23-2018, 04:45 AM
thanks for the suggestion on using the city water to test lines, I had only used the tank and pump method. I will give it a try. IF I have to remove the underbelly, I gather from your comment on the self tapping screws that you just get new ones and insert next to the old holes with the broken screws.

flybouy
05-23-2018, 10:16 AM
thanks for the suggestion on using the city water to test lines, I had only used the tank and pump method. I will give it a try. IF I have to remove the underbelly, I gather from your comment on the self tapping screws that you just get new ones and insert next to the old holes with the broken screws.

yes that's correct on the screws. Get stainless steel screws and washers and replace them all if you can, reduces issues later.

Firelime
05-23-2018, 09:06 PM
I had 2 water leaks in my 2016 Cougar that I actually just got fixed tonight. Both were on the fresh water tank pump supply and drain. The factory did not use sealant or Teflon tape on the fittings going into the tank and one of the fittings was loose.

My underbelly was attached using a combination of self tapping screws and Ramset nails. The Ramset nails have a 1/4" hex head on them that if you use a nut driver in a drill you can loosen them and get a wonder bar under them to pop them out easy.

Howie
05-25-2018, 05:40 PM
Update everyone... I found a tiny pinhole leak in the freshwater tank about 2 inches above the bottom that you can't even see. I found a drop of water forms on the spot and then runs down to the bottom and then deposits itself on the underbelly which eventually leaks out. I called the local Keystone dealer and explained problem. He said "I am not supposed to tell you this because our formal response is that you need to replace the tank, but get some Flex Tape (like advertised on TV) and patch it because it works". Bought some and put it over the tiny leak. Will fill the tank tomorrow to check before I put all the underbelly back together.

chuckster57
05-25-2018, 05:44 PM
If it’s under warranty make the dealer change it.

Howie
05-27-2018, 04:20 PM
Flex Tape worked like a champ but also found exact same problem as Firelime above, no teflon on connections. Fixed them, all is good finally

DOWva
05-27-2018, 07:01 PM
Congrats I like the method of repair great idea

Lee
05-28-2018, 07:07 AM
Hi,

If the Flex tape does not provide a long term solution, Google "plastic weld". Lots of videos on Youtube.

Lee

Howie
05-28-2018, 07:19 AM
Lee, thanks for the suggestion. I will keep it in mind should I need further repairs

hfhf
06-03-2018, 02:04 PM
I also had a leak in my 2013 cougar. I removed under belly and found a crack near top of the gray tank.Are used fibreglass and spray on sealant. We’ll see how this holds up this summer.

sourdough
06-03-2018, 02:13 PM
Just to piggyback on a previous post; you said you had just purchased it. Looks like it is a 2015. Did you get it from a dealer? Did they give you any kind of warranty? The tape may do the job, but, if the dealer gave you a warranty a new tank would be better.

johnlewis
06-03-2018, 04:40 PM
Used Seal All to repair a crack in my Galley tank. Love this stuff. Cheaper than Flex Seal.

lmf580
06-03-2018, 05:49 PM
There is a good product called Plasti-mend for permanent fix. Google it. I used it on my gray water tank. The belly panels are a pane to remove.