PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous Information

spade117
05-22-2018, 05:38 AM
Hello all,

Just looking for suggestions/info on multiple situations.

I have recently upgraded from a 24’ hybrid camper with 3 canvas foldouts. This was used mostly for sleeping and storage (it allowed us to bring more stuff). The majority of the time, we did not have any hookups (dry, boon-docking, etc.) We used the toilet and sink when electric/water was available, but never the shower. Never had the need to use the hot water heater either. Fridge/heat was always on propane. All cooking was done outdoors, so the oven/stove was never used either.

Upgraded TV and RV can be seen in signature below.

Our typical camping trips are usually 2-3 hours away and last 2-3 nights with some 5-7 day trips that may be up to 5 hrs away from home. We have four children ranging in age from 10-23 yrs old. Other than sleeping, all of our time is spent outside of the camper. Kayaking, biking, hiking, cooking, drinking, games, etc.

I would like to take as much advantage of the new camper as possible. Since most of our trips don’t have hookups, I would like to know if adding a second battery has much benefit and what I can expect to be able to use on one battery vs. having two batteries. Would hooking the vehicle back up help charge the battery if needed? Will the power jacks/slide outs/awning work off the battery? If I were to purchase a generator, would the 2nd battery be pointless? Generator suggestions? I would prefer to use propane instead of gas, but it is not mandatory.

On the shorter trips, I have never worried about having to empty any tanks during the middle of the trip, but if we are using the shower/bathroom more, I think some type of portable waste container may be needed. Suggestions?

I have been towing 15-25’ trailers for over 20 yrs, but this will be the longest/heaviest trailer. Any tips or info that I should be mindful of?

If any other info is needed, let me know.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

5J's
05-22-2018, 07:08 AM
Two batteries will not let you run more stuff but will let you run on battery for longer. If you don't have connections or s generator you will be limited on what will work. For instance, no A/C. In NY that may be fine all year how ever here in TX we don't want to RV in mid August without A/C. It mostly comes down to how you prefer to camp, more "luxurious" or more "primitive". As for generator recommendations, I don't own one so I don't count my input on that topic valuable. Good luck.

Canonman
05-22-2018, 07:14 AM
We also primarily dry camp since we prefer the Forest Service, State Park or National Park campgrounds over the usual RV Parks. So here is our 2 cents worth:
Second battery absolutely yes. Even with a generator to recharge. If your running the furnace overnight you'll want 2 batteries.
You can charge the battery with the Ram but that's hugely inefficient. Think emergency situation only.
Yes, the slides, jacks, awning all 12v accessories work off the battery. About the only things that don't are the A/C, microwave and the 110v plugs.
We have an inverter type generator (low noise) that we use mostly to recharge the batteries. Couple of hours a day is about all we need. That said, we just bought a portable solar unit (NO noise!). We use it now instead of the genny to recharge the batteries unless it's cloudy and raining..
Waste water is not really a problem for us. We often go a week to 10 days without dumping. Sometimes our galley tank will start to fill. When that happens I use a bucket and simply "distribute" the grey water around the area trees. As for the black tank, guys use the outside facilities gals have indoor privileges. Really never had the black tank get full before we were ready to leave.
We have 2, 5 gal plastic water cans that I use to refill the fresh water tank. I keep the inline water filter handy when going for water so I can somewhat filter the water going into the cans.
In short, use the amenities you bought and paid for. You are going to love the hard side camping difference.

Gary-n-Liz
05-22-2018, 08:39 AM
2015 Outback came with one battery. Even though water levels were checked often, it was always going dead. Eventually got two batteries in Boise that were appropriately joined together (2016). Haven't had a problem at all and only had to add water once in all this time. We don't dry camp much, but two batteries have made our life easier.

captbozy
05-22-2018, 08:58 AM
Lighting upgraded to all LED will save many amp hours. Solar charging system to extend battery life without generator noise.

oldmanbill
05-22-2018, 11:34 AM
I will give you some info you probably don't need to know and will irritate some but is realism. In the 1950's soap had phosphates which killed vegetation. So governments made strict laws regarding gray water and how it is disposed. A few years later phosphates were nationally outlawed. But in most areas the laws are still there. But many areas it is encouraged and in some areas required to use your gray water for your lawn in dry areas. Gray water has no negative affect and enhances vegetation growth. Many areas put wash water separate from septic systems to help the septic tanks. Gray water, 10 gallons for a shower and much less for a hand shower, 2 gallons to wash dishes, let out on the ground, no negative effects, not even seen. In a primitive camping hook a 5/8 piece of hose to the drain, it will trickle out till the gray water tank is empty. Nothing unsanitary about it. Not black water though, nasty stuff. If you have a large boat the gray water runs out the side of the hull, not regulated. Your ac puts 10 times the water on the ground.

Wxman
05-22-2018, 11:44 AM
Airplanes too, at least what I flew. When refueling knew when someone in the tanker washed their hands, dumped the coffee pot , etc. Drained right out the bottom of the plane. As above, not the toilet. It was tanked and emptied on the ground.

Steve/
05-22-2018, 04:52 PM
Please do not dump gray water in camp site, all food parts that went down the sink drain brings in the bugs. Also in bear country they claim it brings in the bears, do to smells.

spade117
05-24-2018, 04:28 AM
Another thing I forgot to mention was that I would like to install a shutoff for the battery. I did some searching and I see it mentioned quite a bit, but does anyone have a good website of youtube channel that shows good details on how to install yourself?

JRTJH
05-24-2018, 06:00 AM
Another thing I forgot to mention was that I would like to install a shutoff for the battery. I did some searching and I see it mentioned quite a bit, but does anyone have a good website of youtube channel that shows good details on how to install yourself?

All you need to do is install a switch on either the positive or the negative battery connection. It can be as simple as one of the first picture for $5 or more complex as the second picture $10-35. Both accomplish the same "end result" of disconnecting the cable to which they are wired.

There are other brands of switches that do get much more complex in wiring or installation, but the act of simply removing one of the battery cables (at the battery) does the same thing as installing a "big dollar" switch. The main difference is convenience of use.

tomd
05-29-2018, 09:06 PM
The battery you have is probably 12 v, and adding a second 12 v battery will of course double your capacity.
An even better approach is to use golf cart batteries, you can get 2 6V deep cycle 6 volt batteries that will fit in same space. You must wire them in series. They are taller and heavier but fit in existing battery holder. They will provide more capacity due to extra lead/size and Ah capacity. Trojan T105 are good example. I use these for both RV and electric boat, golf cart stores will carry them and help you connect correctly.

GM partsman
05-30-2018, 04:12 AM
Battery cut off should be installed on the negative cable only.

chuckster57
05-30-2018, 04:21 AM
Battery cut off should be installed on the negative cable only.

Factory installed cutoffs are always on the positive side.

This is a topic that can get just as heated as what’s the best truck.

spade117
05-30-2018, 04:22 AM
Thanks for all the info so far.

We did our first 3 night trip this past weekend with no electric. Battery held up fine. Ran the fridge and water heater off propane, so pretty much only the lights and radio were using the battery.

GM partsman
05-30-2018, 04:58 AM
I can see that if the switch is enclosed. I've seen too many tools fried by inexperienced techs. Military is 24 volts. Saw what happens when 24 volts is grounded against a ring.

chuckster57
05-30-2018, 05:04 AM
I can see that if the switch is enclosed. I've seen too many tools fried by inexperienced techs. Military is 24 volts. Saw what happens when 24 volts is grounded against a ring.

24V is double what an RV is. Even exterior mounted are on the positive side.