PDA

View Full Version : Questions about renting to snowbirds

BoulderCity
05-20-2018, 07:59 AM
Hi all,

We bought a lake view RV lot near Las Vegas and want to rent it out when we are not using it... especially during the winter months.

My question is that, typically, how long of a period of time do snowbirds want to rent RV lots? 3 months? 6 months?

Also, what type of improvements to the lot or amenities are most desirable to snowbirds? i.e. outdoor furniture, shed, trees, garden etc?

Thank you for the help.

Frank G
05-20-2018, 02:52 PM
We are part of the Florida Snowbirds and have no idea of the western snowbird requirements. Advertise what you have and see what happens.

sourdough
05-20-2018, 03:22 PM
We go to FL as well but have been out and about in the west/southwest. As far as what amenities.....to me it depends on the pricing/location etc. What do you plan on offering? What CAN you afford to offer? For $300 a month I don't expect much. For $1500 I want a lot more.

As far as the lot; in the desert it would be nice to have a tree(s) somewhere. At a minimum I like a picnic table. Some kind of greenery, shrubs. I've seen places with sheds but have no use for one nor want to pay for it - others I'm sure feel differently.

As far as how long "snowbirds" want to stay.....I think that's all over the map. Some travel all winter and spend a couple of weeks to 6 weeks and move on. Others come in and spend 1/2 the winter in one place then move to another, still others come in and stay months at a time. We stay 3-5 months then get restless. I would guess that at the park we stay at in the winter the majority of the "long term" snowbirds stay 5-6 months. But, that is in FL and the majority of those come from up north; primarily Michigan, Canada, Maine etc. so they can't go back very early unless they want to go home and shovel snow:facepalm: I don't know where the snowbirds in NV come from so..... There are several on here I think that do spend a lot of time in the AZ area so they will be more informed.

66joej
05-20-2018, 05:23 PM
Hi all,

We bought a lake view RV lot near Las Vegas and want to rent it out when we are not using it... especially during the winter months.

My question is that, typically, how long of a period of time do snowbirds want to rent RV lots? 3 months? 6 months?

Also, what type of improvements to the lot or amenities are most desirable to snowbirds? i.e. outdoor furniture, shed, trees, garden etc?

Thank you for the help.

We are staying in Bullhead City AZ. at Colorado River Oasis RV park this winter. We pay $450/month plus electric. Check out their website to see what amenities they have. May give you an idea as to pricing your site.

Cbrez
05-21-2018, 04:00 PM
Many RV parks I contacted in Florida start out with minimum 90 day stays. Once reservations fall off, they drop the minimum stay to 30 days.

Alpine
05-21-2018, 09:01 PM
Here is an idea of what the prices and pictures of lots for rent at the resort where Jan & I own. Located 18 miles east of Temecula, California. About 60 miles west of Palm Springs, California. We choose not to lease out our lot.

https://www.ranchorvresort.com/for-rent-by-owner

And an over all look of the resort and what you would get for your money.

Watch the video....

https://www.ranchorvresort.com/

Cbrez
05-22-2018, 01:56 AM
It looks like a beautiful resort. Congratulations.

Hodgy
05-22-2018, 06:02 AM

Those monthly rates look good for what you get. In a place like that there must be some restrictive covenants on what type of RV you can park on one of those rented lots.

JRTJH
05-22-2018, 07:39 AM

Those monthly rates look good for what you get. In a place like that there must be some restrictive covenants on what type of RV you can park on one of those rented lots. .

There are restrictions, they're located in the FAQ section of the website. Essentially, as to the type of unit, here's what they say:

"What type of RVs are allowed at Rancho California?

Your rig must be no more than 10 years old, at least 30 feet in length, and either a Class A motor coach or a fifth-wheel trailer. No Class B or C, toy-haulers, or camper-trailers. No park models."

More and more "exclusive" RV communities are being developed. There are several in the Florida keys that restrict membership to luxury motorhomes (those costing over $500K). There are "Airstream resorts", luxury resorts, and even religious resorts.

Restrictions on many resorts aren't that "onerous" but there are some "very, VERY exclusive" resorts (you'd never call them a campground) that simply don't allow "trailer trash" on the property.....

Gone are the days of "6 hippies in a flower painted VW van" and also, gone are the days of "just any RV is welcome" in some places.

mazboy
05-22-2018, 12:01 PM
a lot of it depends on the park. ask the park what goes on and what the restrictions are.

you should be able to get a pretty good idea about rates and expectations.

what are the rules of renting? does the park want to be involved? such things like that.