PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling fan blades breaking off on new Alpine

Stanbro
05-17-2018, 08:43 AM
I have a new 2018 Keystone Alpine with a four-blade ceiling fan. Two of the blades have broken off as the metal arms that connect the blades to the fan motor have cracked.

Has anyone else had this problem?

At first I thought that the slides where hitting the blades when I closed the trailer up. That is not the problem. It seems that the blade arms are just too flimsy and are breaking under the weight of the blades due to road shock.

Just another thing I am disappointed about with this new Alpine. Honestly, for a so called luxury brand, there have been a lot of issues with the build quality and things breaking after just a few days of travels.

CaptnJohn
05-17-2018, 08:54 AM
Probably the same as in my Montana, will be looking at mine. So far no problems noted.

goducks
05-18-2018, 06:52 AM
Easy fix. Drive to your nearest Home Depot/Lowes and buy a better ceiling fan. I don't know what brand is in my 5er but we're heading into our 6th season with it and it still has all the blades and works like new.

Stanbro
05-18-2018, 07:41 AM
Easy fix. Drive to your nearest Home Depot/Lowes and buy a better ceiling fan. I don't know what brand is in my 5er but we're heading into our 6th season with it and it still has all the blades and works like new.
Yes, out-right replacement of the fan is certainly one option and maybe the final one. For now, I ordered replacement blade arms that are made by a different manufacturer. Hopefully they hold up to the stress better than the original ones.

As the unit is only three weeks old, and one blade arm broke the first time I towed it, I am disappointed with the quality of some of the equipment installed in this so-called "luxury" trailer. My reason for posting was to see if there are other Alpine/Montana owners that have experienced the same failure. If so, feedback to Keystone would be appropriate.

This is only one of MANY issues with this rig and I have fixed all of them myself as I know that it will take weeks if I go through a dealer.

CaptnJohn
05-18-2018, 08:15 AM
Checked those on my 2017 Montana, gave each a good tug, no indication of weakness noticed.

Alpine
05-18-2018, 09:25 AM
So sorry of your many ongoing issues and repairs! After having looked at several Alpine fifthwheels since purchasing our 2012, we have noticed many changes in workmanship and quality! To mention one... Alpine is using in my opinion way to much painted "beadboard" in place of actual solid wood cabinet doors. And have "open" areas instead of cupboards.

Just an overall lack of as you state "Luxury" look to the newer models.

To end on a positive note... good for you for doing your own repairs and making it a learning experience!

Sad to say that this is an RV problem across the board of all makes and models. Our friends just purchased a 2018 Nashville Mobile Suites $150.000 plus.... woke up to the kitchen floor partially flooded... the water drain pipe was two different sizes that did not match-up, so they were held together with small dose of "Duct Tape."