PDA

View Full Version : What about those mattresses

Salsaman1a
05-15-2018, 03:07 PM
My 2016 Cougar X-LITE 30RLI came with this god awful mattress that couldn't support a cat. So I threw it out and bought a queen size blow up mattress that seems to do the trick for the time being. I just ignore the 5" of space on either side.
I ripped off the tag (Michiana Mattress, evergreen) said it was a king size 70"x74" which isn't a king and not a queen but a hybrid between the two. This is crazy. Am I the only one with this problem? I don't feel like spending $700+ for a custom mattress...............any ideas that wont break the bank?

sourdough
05-15-2018, 03:39 PM
Lots of the folks on here have chosen different ways to replace their inferior OEM mattresses. I know you say you don't have time to spend the money or a custom mattress, but, we just didn't have the time to spend restless nights and then drag all day. For us the solution was to purchase a new residential mattress that has made a WONDERFUL difference. Ours is a standard 60x80 queen so we had lots of choices.

KeithInUpstateNY
05-15-2018, 08:55 PM
I replaced my "camper" queen (60x75) mattress with a standard full (54x75) foam mattress that had great recommendations on Amazon for less than $200. I gave up 6 inches of width, but off the shelf sheets fit, I can still get by the foot of the bed and access both sides, and the mattress is far superior in comfort to the mattress that came with the camper.

notanlines
05-16-2018, 12:26 AM
Salsa, I'm afraid I don't have much in good news for you. Your "bought a queen size blow up mattress that seems to do the trick for the time being" statement probably set the old, feeble, bad-back, or just plain fussy people back ten years. Most of us would look at a blow-up mattress and immediately be on the phone with Holiday Inn Express.
I can assure you that more than half the RV's you see in parks and on the highway have a mattress that is inferior and an odd size.
And the news gets worse. Where would you ever find a custom size king/queen mattress for $700? There are camping people who doctor up their crappy mattresses with toppers and have some luck, but you threw yours away so you have nowhere to start. We shopped at a custom mattress factory in West Palm Beach and the top of the line for our RV (king) was $2100. Nope, you are correct, we are still sleeping on the piece of junk from the factory.
See? I told you I had no good news. And once you do find a solution you'll log back on here whining about buying sheets!:eek: God, how I love RV'ing!

MarcS
05-16-2018, 01:22 AM
I googled short queen mattress once. Found a great deal on Overstock for an 8" memory foam mattress. Tossed our old one.

Duramike
05-16-2018, 07:02 AM
I googled short queen mattress once. Found a great deal on Overstock for an 8" memory foam mattress. Tossed our old one.

Marc you are correct that RV sized mattresses are available online. Try overstock, Amazon, etc. We picked our RV mattress at Sam’s Club, if you are a member. The OP is right that most mattresses supplied in RV’s are not comfortable with some unusable! Good luck in your search and happy camping.

KeithBook
05-16-2018, 07:10 AM
If you have a oddball sized mattress, I believe The Original Mattress Factory will make one to size for a small extra charge. www.originalmattress.com

For our Cougar 321RES, the mattress was lousy. We put a 3" memory foam topper on it and we like the combination.

DOWva
05-16-2018, 10:04 AM
I got rid of the rv queen mattress that came with our 5th wheel and replaced it with a memory gel foam residential full size queen which is a 60X80 and we really enjoy sleeping on it.

dstave01
05-21-2018, 06:59 AM
My wife and I just replaced our camper King size mattress with a regular Queen size. We shopped around and ended up going with a foam Zinus off of Amazon and so far we think it's absolutely one the best decisions we made for our trailer. I cut down 6" from each side of the base that it lays on since the camper King was a little bigger. I think we made a good decision on this one. Here is a link to what we bought:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006L9VANK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Alpine
05-21-2018, 12:11 PM
We did this about two years ago and couldn't be happier!

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70307426/

rsv4pilot
05-21-2018, 03:28 PM
www.mattressinsider.com

Ordered ours the other day. Will update once We get it...

Gegrad
05-21-2018, 03:51 PM
I replaced ours with the pillow top of an extra queen mattress we had. It fit amazingly in our old passport. I swapped the old RV mattress back into it before I sold it and put the same pillow top in our Premier. It is a little long for the space in the Premier, so shimmying by the end is a little tighter, but it is well worth the it for the comfort. The plywood support underneath is just as good as it being on a box spring. I actually built a slight longer support and replaced the original support to provide slight more support, but otherwise it has been a godsend.

rogeru
05-21-2018, 04:34 PM
We just purchased a "short queen" mattress from Original Mattress Factory for a great price of $360., tax and all !! It's a regular firm, and feels great to both of us. The $360 figure includes making a "custom" size, (which is $50 more). Also, if you request it, they will make it a "hinged" type of mattress that is easier to get into the camper. Just an FYI from an older couple who quickly got tired of what seemed like just sleeping on the board part of the bed!

Eastham
05-21-2018, 06:22 PM
Does keystone use different quality mattress in the xlite I have a 2016 cougar and the mattress is very comfortable it is about 6 inches thick.they call it a king size but I am not sure of that size.plenty big enough for us.

KeithInUpstateNY
05-22-2018, 05:48 AM
The mattress I bought on Amazon was the Best Price 10" memory foam mattress. Currently about $201 for the full and $210 for the queen.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GTCL2FU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_s4bbBbD3HJVAYI replaced my "camper" queen (60x75) mattress with a standard full (54x75) foam mattress that had great recommendations on Amazon for less than $200. I gave up 6 inches of width, but off the shelf sheets fit, I can still get by the foot of the bed and access both sides, and the mattress is far superior in comfort to the mattress that came with the camper.

ImTravis
05-22-2018, 07:41 AM
Just ordered a Serene Mattress (10-inch memory foam) from CW for $150. They're having a crazy clearance sale on some of their mattresses (last years model).

LuvsPalmTrees
05-22-2018, 08:08 AM
We were lucky to have a standard queen in our TT. The first thing we did was to go to Sams and buy a new Gel Foam mattress. Just like in the house. Threw the old one in the dumpster, put the new one in the TT and off we went.

Stanbro
05-24-2018, 07:25 AM
www.mattressinsider.com

I ordered from here as well. Great customer service on the phone and the price for a 72" x 80" x 8" (narrow King) Park Meadow Pocketed Coil RV Mattress II was $582. We received the mattress in about 10 days and it is really comfortable.

Do check out this company before buying any size mattress. Good prices and fast service. Plus they have a 120 day money-back guarantee. In most cases, you don't even have to ship it back to them if you are unhappy with their product. Just donate the mattress to a shelter or other charity and send them the proof of donation.

doxiluvr
05-24-2018, 07:28 AM
We did about the same as you did, except we did buy a regular innerspring mattress on closeout. We had the so-called RV queen and went with a regular full-size mattress, as we needed the 75" length and did not want to spend $300+ on one. I had full-size sheets to use, but do use queen size also. Since we are not huge people, it has been fine. We had the original mattress for at least 10 years though (Sprinter 300FKBS) and it was comfortable, but after 10 years, it was getting too thin and hard. We are happy with our choice anyway. Might try a foam topper on it next year.

Glenda Clark
05-24-2018, 07:42 AM
Gave my new plastic covered mattress to the dealer. Went and bought a queen pillow top. Had them put it in New Trailer I was picking up that morning.
The mattress that came with it was hard as cement , and wouldn't even be suitable for an inmate on death row.

bbells
05-24-2018, 07:53 AM
We just replaced ours with 2 layers of foam. One memory the other heavy regular foam. My wife than sewed 2 sheets together to make a bag type cover for the mattress. Comfortable, works fine, light enough to open the storage, and the bag is washable.

xrated
05-24-2018, 09:27 AM
Probably not an option you want to hear, but we moved or 20+ year old Sleep Number mattress from the house to the trailer.....then bought a new Sleep Number bed for the house. At home or away, we sleep very comfortably either place.....and is exactly the same both places. Life's too short for a bad night's sleep!

pitman44
05-24-2018, 09:35 AM
We replaced our short queen mattress with one we bought from CW. I believe the price was about $400, but this was about 4 years ago. Very comfortable. Frankly I was surprised it was that inexpensive, but it had a number of high reviews.

Just traded that RV in, but the new one has a full size queen. I suspect we'll be getting a new one for that one in the not too distance future. Personally we go to the camper to relax. Leaving with an aching back isn't very relaxing so we're more than willing to spend the bucks for a good mattress.

Amazon has a number of RV sized mattresses. You might check there.

Golgotha
05-24-2018, 09:58 AM
We also have a 2016 30RLI, our solution was to buy a 4 inch memory foam mattress topper at Walmart, it was about $150. It made the bed that much higher, but it’s very comfortable.

Number 4
05-24-2018, 10:02 AM
We just replaced ours with 2 layers of foam. One memory the other heavy regular foam. My wife than sewed 2 sheets together to make a bag type cover for the mattress. Comfortable, works fine, light enough to open the storage, and the bag is washable.

We have a similar setup after tossing the poor excuse for a mattress in our Hideout. Back when we were tenting it the DW sewed canvas around a set of re-purposed couch cushions and we had two "foam burritos" side by side under our zipped-together sleeping bags. Now they live in the trailer with a 2-inch memory foam topper and we're comfy as can be inside our flannel-lined Coleman sleeping bag!

rubydoodle
05-24-2018, 11:08 AM
We ordered one from Costco that was $100 off of $499.99. It came in a box to our door. It is a Novaform Grande and so comfortable we ordered another for home. When you take it out of the box and cut the wrap, it expands beautifully. My husband has a bad back and also loves this mattress.

Alsbar
05-24-2018, 12:52 PM
We ordered one from Costco that was $100 off of $499.99. It came in a box to our door. It is a Novaform Grande and so comfortable we ordered another for home. When you take it out of the box and cut the wrap, it expands beautifully. My husband has a bad back and also loves this mattress.

I second this. We love ours.

Carmenmvasquez32
05-24-2018, 05:45 PM
We have remedied this two different ways, and have been happy with both. Keep the nasty RV mattress, and get a 3 inch memory foam topper with a mattress pad, the ultra firm RV mattress is a great base for the memory foam. Supper comfy!
Second way is to order a memory foam mattress on Amazon. We have purchase Best Mattress 10 inch memory foam mattresses for our master bedroom and loved it, when I found that there was a short queen I was super excited! Best mattresses have thousands of 5 star reviews, and are a couple hundred dollars. We are sold, and recommend them to everyone!
(have at least 24 hours for them to fluff, and unwrap them as soon as you get them.)

sstedman
05-25-2018, 03:24 AM
We are in the same situation as you. We have a 2017 30RLI and not only is the mattress a hybrid, the sheets are also. Keystone advertises this as a king size mattress, but it obviously is not. They should be held accountable under the truth and advertising laws.

kfennell1
05-25-2018, 07:28 AM
I got a quote for a custom olympic queen mattress from Discount Mattress in Durant, Ok for $599. I believe it was a Corsicanna Mattress.

tomd
05-29-2018, 08:56 PM
Our Keystone Sprinter had THE worst most uncomfortable mattress we ever slept in. So bad that while visiting family last year we bought a new mattrass, nice pillow top dense foam at local mattress store, fortunately standard queen size was correct fit. It was a few inches thicker, so I needed to also lower the bed platform. Turns out the bed platform was raised by Keystone to make the thinner mattress fit, so all I had to do was remove the 5 ½ inch x 2 inch header beams they added and then made a 2 inch header. Bed is now wonderful and comfy, and the perfect height!! Just a lot of detail work to cut paneling around the bed and re-assemble. When I removed the paneling the staples holes didn't matter, since I cut 4 inches off the panels before re-installing.
The old mattress made a great backing for the backyard archery range; catches arrows very well, grand kids love that mattress, we like the new one in the 5th wheel. Shame on keystone for selling us such junk.

rsv4pilot
06-02-2018, 10:49 PM
www.mattressinsider.com

UPDATE:

Got our mattress the other day. Looks great and is very comfortable.

RickBetterley
06-03-2018, 03:36 AM
First night on the mattress that came with our Cougar, but we added a memory foam topper. Quite comfy.

flybouy
06-03-2018, 03:43 AM
UPDATE:

Got our mattress the other day. Looks great and is very comfortable.

We bought our Queen 60 X 80 8" thick memory foam from them a few years ago and am very pleased with how it feels and how it's holding up. DW and I both have back issues and IMHO that mattress compares to the one in our S&B that cost about 5x more. Like your fav drink, vehicle, or friend, just because someone else loves it doesn't mean you will. Let us know your experience after you try it out!

memilanuk
06-03-2018, 10:26 PM
We are buying a 28 RLSWE that is advertised with a 'king' bed. It looked a bit small, but then we sleep on a California King at home (I'm 6'4"), so I didn't sweat it. I'd read that RV king beds were 72x80 instead of 76x80, and could live with that no problem - still bigger than a regular 'full' queen, so... Yay!

Then we started shopping for sheets... and saw some RV 'king' mattresses were 72x75... not cool!

Then I read the published specs for either this model, or some other Keystone that came with the RV king mattress, and saw it listed as 70x74. Ain't gonna lie, I said some bad words at that point.

On our last trailer we swapped the POS OEM 'RV queen' mattress for a residential queen. It just cleared the slider, but it worked. Putting a longer mattress in this one may not be feasible as there wouldn't be enough room to get by the bed - it'd be touching the wall.

Kind of a bummer start to what otherwise seems to be an awesome trailer...

Cardcathrn
06-15-2018, 04:39 AM
I bought a topper and cut it down to match. Works better than nothing. I also have used king size sheets now and they are ok

Glenda Clark
06-15-2018, 05:46 AM
I got rid of my "death row prison cell" mattress that came with my new camper , and purchased a pillow top queen mattress.
What an amazing difference. It's so comfortable . Even sitting on the one that came with it originally was like a block of cement.

Why do they install poor quality mattresses in these trailers , when they know they will be discarded to purchase a better quality one ?

That is a waste of product , in my opinion.

rickyrock
06-23-2018, 05:09 PM
We bought an 8 inch memory foam off amazon and my husband cut the 4 inches off the end. Works like a charm. Much better than the skinny mattress that came with the camper. Oh it was a king size mattress.