PDA

View Full Version : Awning C Channel

jbryant
05-15-2018, 06:28 AM
I have a 2016 Laredo and the awning Channel screws started coming out about 6 months ago. It was fixed by dealer. Screws are coming out on opposite end. Any ideas how to fix now that warranty has expired.

JRTJH
05-15-2018, 07:43 AM
If the awning channel (aluminum extrusion) is not leaking, is in good condition and not pulling away from the trailer sidewall, I'd pull each screw, one at a time, inject Sikaflex sealant in the hole, reinstall the screw (if the hole is not stripped and the screw "bites" the sides of the hole). If the holes are stripped, I'd go to the next larger size screw, drill out the aluminum awning channel (not the structure behind the channel) and install "thicker" not "longer" screws in the holes, also using Sikaflex sealant.

If there are leaks, if the awning channel is pulled away from the sidewall and/or if there is any question about whether the putty tape behind the awning channel is leaking or defective, then I'd just "bit the bullet", pull the entire awning down, remove the entire awning rail, reapply new butyl putty tape, reinstall it properly, with new screws and "know it's done right, this time"....

Weekender 1
05-15-2018, 02:18 PM
I have a brand new Hideout5th wheel that the same thing is allready happening on.
I contacted Lippert because Keystone's answer was similar to above which didn't make much sense.
Lippert tried to stay neutral but I got the gist Manufacturer don't bother with what installation instructions tell them.
OK, I will ***/u/me your RV is a laminate outside wall.
Why I say this is because a aluminum sided one has a header to which most all awnings are connected to, but not the case of laminate. Manufacturers assume the laminate is strong enough to hold a awning. Guess what!!!
What they told me to do is to buy Marine3/16 deep grip trifold rivets made to hold onto walls of 1/16-1/2 inchthick. Drill to 3/16, pop them in with a rivet gun and the expansion of the rivet will secure it to laminate walls.
Going bigger in screw size on a laminate wall will eventually strip out.
Another suggestion they made was to get a couple of the same type rivets to go up to 3/4 inch in wall thickness and put them into the rail where the fabric runs at the end of the fabric. That way the rail will not pull upas hard which can be another reason the screws pull out.

I found on my 2 month old Hideout 5 of 42 screws actually hit a aluminum stud and are staying tight. That's 37 of those rivets I put in plus the 2 end ones and everything now is fine.