PDA

View Full Version : Dimming lights

Lost
05-13-2018, 07:58 AM
Took the 5th wheel to our camp site this weekend and the 12v lights were dimming to the point they went out at times. I replaced the 8 year old battery and they are still dimming on and off. Is the convertor going out?

PARAPTOR
05-13-2018, 08:17 AM
Since you had changed the battery have you checked to make sure the battery connections are tight? Is it all the lights dimming or just some? Remember you basically have two 12 V sources , light(s) dim on both? Ie Battery only ( no shore power) or Converter (shore power connected). Battery disconnect switch positioned to disconnect battery.

Lost
05-13-2018, 09:26 AM
Battery terminals are clean and tight. All the 12v lights will be on very bright for about 35 seconds and then dim for about the same time. Did the same thing when I disconnected the battery.

sourdough
05-13-2018, 11:46 AM
Have you disconnected from shore power and ran on batteries only? Then shore power using the converter to see if there is a difference? I did not see where you had disconnected from AC so the converter would always be in play.

Almost sounds like the converter if I'm understanding the situation correctly. Do you have incandescent lights or LEDs?

ken56
05-13-2018, 11:55 AM
Are they the LED type? I had all of my interior ceiling lights replaced because they were defective and dimmed with no rhyme or reason to it. Under warranty so I was glad it showed up to know there was a problem.