PDA

View Full Version : Where's the leak coming from?

rsthomis
05-11-2018, 01:21 PM
Greetings! We have a 2012 Bullet 26BHPR that we bought from an individual. Twice, in heavy rain, we have found water on the floor under the front right window. We have caulked the roof seams and around that window, and still have a leak. The front right storage area had water on the floor, but the sides are dry. The wall under the window is dry, so the water is traveling from somewhere else. Someone has suggested we check the awning screws, but we haven't had time to try that yet. Any ideas? Thanks!!

flybouy
05-11-2018, 03:23 PM
When you heavy rain was the water intrusion noticed after towing or did it rain when the unit was in storage or set up?

Steveo57
05-11-2018, 06:57 PM
Crawl inside the storage area and have someone spray water on the wall. Ours was leaking thru the access hatches where they were screwed in. The water then ran out onto the floor by the bed.

Ken / Claudia
05-11-2018, 09:16 PM
What I have found water always comes from above unless your in a boat. It could be traveling inside the wall before seen on the floor (Many times it is). Leaks are not easy to find, it could be from any nearby door, window, corner, hatch,roof, awning. Sorry no easy fix or find. I start with the lowest closest likely cause and spray with water from outside for minutes and go in and see. Wait a day or so and move the spray to the next spot. That's after looking over every inch of the stuff I listed.

slow
05-12-2018, 04:01 AM
Please post a picture of your window.

Does it have vertical mullion(s)? If so, the seal at the bottom of the mullion may have degraded and is now leaking. I had this problem with a previous trailer.

On our current trailer, one of the window mounting screws was broken on installation and a second screw was installed next to it. The broken screw prevented the frame from being clamped tight to the wall. It took 2 seasons to find the issue because it was in a bottom corner of the window and only leaked under certain wind/rain conditions when travelling down the road, never when stationary. Once I removed the broken screw and clamped the frame to the walls we have not had any issues.

flookk
05-12-2018, 05:08 AM
Water can travel a long way from where it entered to where it exits. Finding out where it is getting in can be extremely frustrating. I had a very tiny slow leak in the roof seam on my hybrid that only manifested during heavy downpours or presumably when the snow melted off the roof. The floor kept getting softer and softer and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. It traveled along a curtain channel and dropped to the floor in the middle of the hitch end.

A common diagnostic method here is to pressurize the trailer and spray it with a soapy solution and watch for bubbles; much like repairing a tire puncture. Your dealer should be equipped to perform that. It cost me $250.00 for the test and the roof repair but was well worth it.

rsthomis
05-12-2018, 06:54 AM
I know that one time when this happened, we had been driving in rain and set up in rain. Thanks for all the great answers! Happy trails!!

slow
05-12-2018, 11:13 AM
A common diagnostic method here is to pressurize the trailer and spray it with a soapy solution and watch for bubbles; much like repairing a tire puncture. Your dealer should be equipped to perform that. It cost me $250.00 for the test and the roof repair but was well worth it.

You can also pressurize your trailer if your vent fan has a reverse feature. I check my trailer for leaks with soap water since I installed a MaxFan Deluxe 7500K.