PDA

View Full Version : Sanitize FW Tank

TheGriz
05-11-2018, 07:09 AM
OK...now that I'm wearing a half gallon of bleach all over me and my clothes, how do I open the check valve on the city/tank inlet to allow the bleach to go into tank???

Canonman
05-11-2018, 08:17 AM
I sanitize the H/W tank with the rest of the system. I put a 1/2 cup bleach into the F/W tank with about 1/3 full (20 gal) of water. Then use that water via the pump to purge the system of all the pink anti-freeze. (Note, the H/W tank is in bypass mode since being winterized.)
Once all the faucets run clear with the bleach solution, I change over the bypass valve and fill the H/W tank with the bleach solution. Leave it all sit overnight and then drain both the F/W and H/W tanks then rinse, drain, rinse, drain and rinse until I cannot smell any bleach.
I use this water tank filler tube like a funnel to add the bleach from the measuring cup. No muss no fuss:)
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Water-Tank-Filler-with-Shutoff-Valve/23500597

cynjon
05-11-2018, 08:17 AM
I pour the bleach right into the hose, then connect it to the water source and fill the FW tank. Another option would be to purchase one of the winterization pumps designed to pump RV antifreeze past check valves: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Antifreeze-Waterlines-Winterizing-36003/dp/B0006IX7YW

I use one on my black water flush line since there is a check valve on that and I want to make sure it doesn't freeze, especially at the air gap back flow preventer.

Canonman
05-11-2018, 08:29 AM
OK...now that I'm wearing a half gallon of bleach all over me and my clothes, how do I open the check valve on the city/tank inlet to allow the bleach to go into tank???

Sorry Griz, I didn't have my "readers" on when I read your question. I thought you were trying to sanitize the hot water tank.
Obviously, I don't know anything about a check valve since I have a separate fresh water fill on the Cougar.

MerlinB
05-11-2018, 10:45 AM

Look at that small screened vent opening just to the left of your fresh water hose connection. That is a screen washer like you would put in a hose connection and you can use a pointed pick or small screwdriver and pluck that washer out of the opening. Then you will have a large enough opening that you can pour your bleach directly into the fresh water tank. Just attach a short piece of plastic tubing to a funnel and insert into the opening. Don't forget to replace the screen when you are finished. Keep the bugs out of your fresh water tank.

TheGriz
05-11-2018, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the help guys! Got it done. Merlin...yes I saw that vent port after I posted my question here. So that's exactly what I did. All is good...got a cup+ of bleach into FW tank. Leaving bleach in tank and lines over night and will drain tomorrow, and subsequently flush.

BTW...service manager at dealer instructed to suck bleach into tank via the winterization hose on pump inlet, leaving the city water/FW tank file lever in the tank position. Seems that would only put bleach into plumbing going to faucets, and not into tank. Am I missing something???

DW and I are trying to get away for a short trip next week sometime for about six days. Any suggestions for some nice CGs in and around NE PA...within 150 miles or so???

chuckster57
05-11-2018, 06:48 PM
BTW...service manager at dealer instructed to suck bleach into tank via the winterization hose on pump inlet, leaving the city water/FW tank file lever in the tank position. Seems that would only put bleach into plumbing going to faucets, and not into tank. Am I missing something???

Nope, service mgr is LOL.

TheGriz
05-11-2018, 08:11 PM
Nope, service mgr is LOL.

:lol::lol::lol: Thanks Chuck. Needed a good laugh.

Btw...the good part of today after I ended up with a half gallon of bleach all over me, it turned my $17 Wrangler blue jeans into a really nice pair of randomly faded $100 designer jeans :D.