View Full Version : 2005 keystone 29 rkp

buddy
07-07-2011, 05:52 AM
does anyone have any pros and cons for this camper
2005 keystone challenger 29rkp
thanks

hankpage
07-07-2011, 03:59 PM
The floor-plan and size is very similar to my Cougar. I think the Challenger was up a notch in options and standards over the Cougar. If it has been maintained it should be a good trailer if the price is right. Welcome to the forum, Hank

Jimbeau
08-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Just joined and saw this. I'm sure you ayready know the rear kitchen gets thrown around pretty bad. Just be cautious putting thingas on the floor in the cabinets. We store canned goods and cans of soda in 24" by 16" plastic bins so if something does break it stays in the plastic bin. We are also very careful storing glass jars. my friend (who has the same 5th wheel, just a year older) made a liquor bottle holder in one of the top back cabinets and had a bottle of some red Liquore bust right through the cabinet door and break all over the floor. The red stuff got all theway into his carpet and badly stained it.

Ron
08-25-2012, 07:58 PM
As mentioned above the rear kitchen takes some what of a beating, we had a 04 29rkp and we also broke some dishes etc. , other than that, great trailer and pulls like a dream with my f350, probably over kill but oh well. Happy Campin.............Ron

Jimbeau
08-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Do your refrigerator shelves collapse too?? Have to do a combination balancing and juggling act when we open it when we arrive at out destinations.
Do you have the 235 X 85 r16 tires also? I went to a tougher 14 ply (load range G) tire a couple of years ago and just had a blowout last time out in June. Did over $4000 damage!! I guess the initial force even busted (bad crack where outlet starts) my kitchen Holding tank too. Funny thing too was that I always thought my wife used too much water when she did dishes because the grey tank used to seem to fill up quickly. Well, when I had to replace the tank, what the original new dealer had said was a 40 gallon tank turned out to be a 32 gallon!! The original brochure only says it has 75 gallon grey tank storage so that would make the other one 43??
Just curious about your tires and what pressure you have them at. When I got my new tires 3 years (the G load ones), he said to keep them at 85psi (the max on the tire is 110psi). Now I'm tring to figure if 85 was too low and may have contributed to the blowout, which was strange too because I had just run over a large jackrabbit when the tire blew!! Dont know now whether it was a coincidence or what!!
But overall this is a great RV!!

Festus2
08-26-2012, 07:08 AM
buddy & Jimbeau -
We have a rear kitchen and, with careful planning and some minor adjustments in the way we pack and store breakables, the rear kitchen hasn't proved to be a nuisance. In fact, the increased counter space is a bonus and we like that.
Our fridge isn't located at the very rear and we place 3 spring-loaded, adjustable bars that go from side-to-side across the fridge when we are on the road. This prevents stuff in the fridge from sliding forward and nothing falls out when you open the door. So far, the fridge shelves have remained intact.

(Since buddy's thread asked for comments about the "pros and cons" about his TT, hopefully we can keep the posts here on that topic and try to answer his question. Thank you.)

TZidar
04-06-2013, 02:44 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forum and haven't even hit the road yet. We just bought a very clean Challenger 29RKP. I'm silly with excitement. We had dinner with the previous owners tonight and they said that they zip tie the cupboards closed while traveling. I've never had a 5th wheel before so I will be learning alot from this forum. Thank you!

TZidar
10-18-2013, 07:44 AM
I posted back in April and have had about six short to long road trips in the 2004 29 RKP since posting. We have had some "learning opportunities", but overall have loved it! The kitchen is not an issue as I have small bungees that I tie each cupboard closed with before travel. All of my dishes, cups, etc are firmly installed in the cupboard behind the bungeed doors when we re on the road. I travel with food in an ice chest and big plastic tub(s) that I pack for travel. It makes getting out of dodge much quicker and assures that nothing breaks. It just takes a few minutes upon arrival to put everything away.

My one complaint about the Challenger is that it really only sleeps four comfortably, and that is a stretch. Any suggestions out there for a model that is roomy like the challenger, but has more efficient sleep space? Ours is perfect for three, ok for four, but we'd like the option of sleeping atleast six.

Thanks for your reply!

P.S. I can't afford a new luxury model. Ours is a pristine 2004, which works great. New/pricey models are out until I win the lotto!

rgn
02-24-2014, 09:01 PM
I HAVE A2005 MONTANA3295RK and no problem with brakeage..I only TOW 60-62 MPH