PDA

View Full Version : 5th wheel hitch

Bohdan
05-04-2018, 01:17 AM
Greetings, I just became a proud owner of a 2010 Fuzion M398. I have to pick it up in a couple of weeks. Looking at two hitches. B and. W companion and the Curt q20. Both have different adjustments in heights. Can’t find the design height of the king pin to see which one is best. I was told the height is 48 inches but the truck bed height is 38. Leaving 10 inches. Something doesn’t jive Any suggestions? Mighty obliged

Tinner12002
05-04-2018, 02:16 AM
First off welcome to the forum and congrats on your new to you RV.
In my truck, I have a B&W 25K hitch installed, truck bed sides are aprox 21" tall and the top of my hitch is aprox 5-6" below that, not sure where I set it but I think most hitches will take up more than 12". What is your tow rig? I know on newer trucks and toy haulers, most are matched fairly close in height but not sure about your 2010.

Bohdan
05-04-2018, 02:56 AM
Thanks. Yeah my bed height is 21 too. I got a 2016 gmc dually. The b and w has adjustments between 16 3/4 and 18 3/4. Tge curt has between 13 and 17. So before I buy a hitch I hope I get the right one. Mighty obliged. Never had a fifth wheel before. Hence the dumb questions.

Tinner12002
05-04-2018, 03:03 AM
Nope, it wasn't a dumb question...lots of great info on here amid a great bunch of people. I'm sure someone can narrow down an answer for your situation! Now's the best time to ask before you make your purchase.

Frank G
05-04-2018, 03:56 AM
Please tell us about your truck and does it have a factory puck system. Depending, you have many options. You only want to do this once so now is the time to get it right. I would be asking myself if I want a hitch system with air suspension? Does the pin on the trailer have any suspension? Do a lot of research.

Bohdan
05-04-2018, 09:29 AM
Thanks Frank. YEs it does have the GM puck system. No suspension anywhere. Solid to solid.

travelin texans
05-04-2018, 09:30 AM
Don't have any experience with the Curt hitch, but in my opinion you can't beat the B&W. The B&W is easy to install/remove by myself, which is a plus if you ever tow a gooseneck, & easily hooks/unhooks at any angle. My last hitch was a Reese & it was nearly always a 30 minute job to unhitch if it wasn't straight & nearly level, not so with the B&W.

rick-eureka
05-04-2018, 11:41 AM
Welcome. You can't beat the B&W.

Frank G
05-04-2018, 12:48 PM
If it were me I would take a good look at the "Reese Goose Box" Coupler system. It does a couple of things. 1) it eliminates the heavy 5th wheel hitch in the bed of your truck, you only need the 2 5/16 ball. It is easily removable for a clean bed. 2) Removes all chucking associated with 5th wheel hitches. 3) Incorporates an air bag suspension within the Goose Box for an easier ride for you and the trailer. 4) Approved by Lippert for use on there frames. 5) It is rated for 20K

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw7tJ4ZcvGM

Barbell
05-04-2018, 05:27 PM
I have about 2 years experience with a Curt 20K hitch and like it fine, but my only other hitch experience was with Reese; I strongly would discourage any consideration. The best thing I can say about Reese is that they will overnight you a new hitch when yours comes apart.

B&W is probably fine too; I just don't know anything about them.

Alpine
05-04-2018, 08:22 PM
May I speak of my own experience with the Reese 20,000k 4-way tilt head. Jan keeps immaculate records... so as to date we have stayed at 227 RV Sites, that would be approximately 454+ total hook-ups & un-hooks and still going strong! :D

Nlambert
05-07-2018, 10:49 AM
I have the B&W Companion slider hitch RVK3405 and love it. I only chose this one because I already had the B&W turnover ball in the bed, but I'm glad I did. Works flawlessly.

gearhead
05-07-2018, 11:08 AM
I've got a Curt Q20. No problems except 3 "failure to hitches" that were my fault from getting in a hurry.
I bought a PullRite SuperLite 2600 a couple months ago. I just pulled from Houston to Richmond VA. and back with no issues. It's light so I can remove it easily. With the funnel on the hitch you just have to get close and it will hitch up. Similar in function to an Andersen, except the PullRite is steel and has steel foot pads that are perpendicular to the truck bed corrugations.
http://www.pullrite.com/content/2600-superlite-features-benefits