PDA

View Full Version : Landing Gear-@#$$* Problem

kksfish
04-30-2018, 03:42 PM
Started to extend front “legs”this morning in preparation to hook up fifth wheel for trip home and they started to extend then just stopped! I began my troubleshooting routine and got to the fuse which was blown I then replaced it with a new 30 Amp fuse. Worked a few seconds and blew again....this went on four times till I was finally hooked up!

I then extended and retracted several times with “no load” on the legs and it worked fine.

I got home and extended the legs to disconnect the fifth wheel and guess what? It worked without blowing the fuse!

Any thoughts about what’s going on? Motor going bad?
If it is the motor how difficult is it to change?

Thanks!

JRTJH
04-30-2018, 04:01 PM
Were you dry camping? If so, probably a "almost discharged battery" caused your problem... As the voltage goes down the amount of amperage required to power the motor goes up. So, operating the motor on a fully charged battery might require 25 amps and on a "almost discharged battery" might require 35 amps to lift the same weight.

kksfish
04-30-2018, 04:58 PM
John, I was connected to the tow vehicle AND still connected to shore power! I thought of that as well......

JRTJH
04-30-2018, 05:53 PM
Then I'd guess a corroded or loose connection in the wiring. Keystone is NOTORIOUS for using twist and crimp connectors in the most gawdawful places. I'd start by checking the connectors at the motor wiring pigtail and work back to the battery from there.

kksfish
04-30-2018, 06:14 PM
Thanks John, I’ll give that a better look! I did the grab and pull test of the two wire nut connections at the motor.......