PDA

View Full Version : 22RBS Dish Receiver Install

BigTexRex
04-27-2018, 08:33 PM
We really like the 22RBS layout, but it lacks an area to setup the Dish receiver. I found out it sets nicely behind the TV. I used Command velcro strips for the power strip and satellite controller. The 211z rests on the shelf at an angle so the remote can communicate with it. The hard drive sits nicely on the shelf beside the receiver. When it's time to move, the TV moves back to its travel position and everything stays in place.

RagingRobert
04-28-2018, 03:31 AM
That's good to know in case I hook up a satellite. I'm a 22RBS owner anxiously waiting to take it camping the first time May 18th. Curious where your dish located...is it on a stand? I have an old dish and HD box I'm considering getting activated or is there a better way to go?

BigTexRex
04-28-2018, 11:49 AM
I have an older King Flex antenna that is equivalent to a Dish Tailgater. I either put in on the ground or on top of the slide, which ever gives the best reception. If you don't mind finding/tuning the satellites yourself, an old house Dish antenna and receiver can give you more options such as recording two programs at once. I've mostly read bad reviews on the Hopper for RV use.

RagingRobert
04-28-2018, 12:47 PM
Thanks for that...so what's the best way/dish to use? Recording stuff is not that important for us unless we're planning on moving into our RV :) I just want access to some sports/news/shows with a good picture on those rainy nights for long weekends and our planned two week trip later this summer. I heard about those helmut like looking dishes...man they're expensive and I'm assuming you need a monthly plan. I might have to get by with the roof antenna and a radio for news :)

BigTexRex
04-28-2018, 01:17 PM
If you have Dish at home, after buying the new equipment, it will only cost you an additional $7 per month. For only a two week trip, I agree the equipment is expensive. Not sure what antenna I would purchase today, but I know I would currently stay away from the Hopper receiver for RV use based on reviews. Most national/international news I get from phone apps.

RagingRobert
04-28-2018, 01:28 PM
We're in Canada so that's at least $28 per month + Hst :-)

MattE303
05-11-2018, 11:11 AM
Thanks for that...so what's the best way/dish to use? Recording stuff is not that important for us unless we're planning on moving into our RV :) I just want access to some sports/news/shows with a good picture on those rainy nights for long weekends and our planned two week trip later this summer. I heard about those helmut like looking dishes...man they're expensive and I'm assuming you need a monthly plan. I might have to get by with the roof antenna and a radio for news :)
You can get a portable dish and receiver bundle for about $300-500 depending on the dish you choose. These are the dishes that will find the satellites automatically once you place them on a level surface pointing approximately south. I just bought a Winegard Pathway X2 (supposed to be the best reception) and DISH Wally receiver from these guys: http://www.tvformyrv.com/portable-satellite/ based on lots of positive recommendations in RV forums. They're nice people and significantly cheaper than buying from the DISH affiliated "DISH For My RV" site.

For the programming you have the option of paying $7/month if you already have DISH service at home, or you can do a pay-as-you-go option. We have DISH at home, and when we're not on the road, the Wally will be connected to a fixed DISH antenna at the house, so the $7/mo made more sense for us.

The external hard drive not only gives you recording capability, but also allows the "pause live TV" ability that we're addicted to at home, so gotta have that :)