PDA

View Full Version : In need of direction

BIG KAHUNA
04-16-2018, 05:35 AM
I'm considering buying an RV specific GPS specifically the the Garmin 770 for help in routing our 5TH wheel. What have been everyone's experience with that unit or others?

flybouy
04-16-2018, 12:08 PM
I have the RV 770 LMT-S and love it. Replaced a Rand McNally RV gps that was terrible. In my experience the Garmin does a good job of routing and if you use the phone app the traffic and weather updates have been spot on. I like the setup for inputting the specs on the trailer and have found it very intuitive. Purchased mine on a site that sells refurbished units with full warranty for about 1/2 the price.

BIG KAHUNA
04-16-2018, 03:26 PM
Could you you please share the site you purchased your refurbished
GPS on?!

captcolour
04-16-2018, 05:46 PM
I bought the 770 last May when I first bought the 5th wheel. Worked OK initially, then it lost its own GPS. Kept showing me in lakes or on parallel roads to what I was on. Sent it back (maybe it got sold as refurbished!) and bought the 660. No problems with it. Reviews on Amazon showed better reviews for the 660 versus the 770 last year.

flybouy
04-16-2018, 07:18 PM
Could you you please share the site you purchased your refurbished
GPS on?!

https://gps.factoryoutletstore.com/ I bought mine about 2 years ago so can't relate recent activity.

DocP
04-17-2018, 02:31 AM
I like mine as well, especially the quality and size of the display. I also bought the Garmin digital traffic receiver that provides live traffic without relying on my cell phone. It, too, works well. Here's a link to the traffic cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NJJWVG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1jeep
04-17-2018, 05:51 AM
just a question what is the real difference between a RV GPS and the one that came in your vehicle, assuming the maps are up to date? My father has a RV GPS he purchased through good sams, it so far has sent him on the same routes my ford one does.

xrated
04-17-2018, 07:18 AM
just a question what is the real difference between a RV GPS and the one that came in your vehicle, assuming the maps are up to date? My father has a RV GPS he purchased through good sams, it so far has sent him on the same routes my ford one does.

Some of the differences involve you being able to input the size of your trailer or coach, especially the height of it, and the GPS NOT routing you on a road that would have bridges etc that would be too low for your camper to clear. There are also RV related places specifically installed on it....campgrounds, repair facilities, RV specific parts location, etc