PDA

View Full Version : Summer Trip

jsmith948
04-15-2018, 09:36 AM
The DW and I decided to make a summer trip this year in order to spend some time with our grandsons. We are in the process of finalizing our plans which were to include Mt. Rushmore/Badlands. Our schedule is such that we will travel through west central Washington. Spend a week with our oldest son and his familty at Riffe Lake then over to Spokane and on up to Glacier NP for a week. Then we'll head down to the Grand Tetons for another week. We wanted to head east from there and visit the Mt Rushmore/Badlands/Crazyhorse area.
Well, come to find out the the Sturgis motorcycle rally starts on August 3rd. Campgrounds are still available - at a higher price. Not sure we want to be involved with thousands or bikers out to have a good time...so, guess we'll put Mt. Rushmore back on the to do list. Instead we'll head to northeastern Nevada from the Tetons and visit my late brother's wife on our way home. It will still be a nice trip - just 5 or 6 days shorter.

Hodgy
04-15-2018, 09:40 AM

I have not been to Sturgis for 10 years but I understand it has gone from one week to three. There is the pre and after weeks that are almost as busy.

chuckster57
04-15-2018, 09:43 AM
We got lucky and got a space at the KOA in Spearfish just before the price hike. Its about 25 miles north so It might still be an option. We went to Deadwood, Rushmore and Crazy Horse using that as our base. If you go to Crazy Horse, You have to eat the Buffalo stew and Indian Fry bread at the restaurant :)

chuckster57
04-15-2018, 09:45 AM

I have not been to Sturgis for 10 years but I understand it has gone from one week to three. There is the pre and after weeks that are almost as busy.

We werre there for the first week in '09, It was a mad house AT Sturgis, but it was a blast. Lots of bad a$$ bikes. lots of pictures.

notanlines
04-15-2018, 12:30 PM
Jack, I have sent you a couple PM's. Don't give up on the South Dakota plans just yet.

busterbrown
04-15-2018, 05:52 PM
Probably a good choice to skip South Dakota at that time of year as the motorcycle and RV congestion may not make you a happy camper. The lines will be long, the trails packed, and roads a pain. I worked in west Nebraska years ago and the local folks said avoid it at all costs during and around Sturgis's "bike week". I got to do Mt Rushmore during the first week of September and it was a joy. Sturgis was a ghost town.

jsmith948
04-16-2018, 05:57 AM
Thanks to all for the responses and thanks, Jim, for the PMs. We are going to err on the side of caution and bypass SD this time around. We will probably incorporate the Mt. Rushmore area into an early fall trip we want to take along the top pf the U.S. (maybe go into Canada to go above the Great Lakes) then on to the New England states. DW and I lived in New Jersey the first 19 years of our lives but have never been to New England - definitely on or list of do's.

BTW, I realize that the majority of folks enjoying the motorcycle hobby/lifestyle are regular folks and do not fit into the common stereotype of "Biker". However, it's been my experience that some of the younger folks seem to have purchased an attitude along with their Harley. I guess I'm just too old to deal with that anymore - better to steer clear. As stated, the area will be much less crowded after the rally and after everyone's kids are back in school.:)

notanlines
04-17-2018, 07:46 AM
We have found in taking our large, west coast trip two years ago that leaving the second week of September and coming home the middle of November was a great idea. (Ever notice you only like your own grandchildren?:eek:) We only had one problem when we arrived in West Yellowstone on the 10th of November.

jsmith948
04-17-2018, 08:34 AM
We have found in taking our large, west coast trip two years ago that leaving the second week of September and coming home the middle of November was a great idea. (Ever notice you only like your own grandchildren?:eek:) We only had one problem when we arrived in West Yellowstone on the 10th of November.Yeah. A little white stuff, but quiet!