PDA

View Full Version : A Break for Spring - Sopchoppy Worm Gruntin'

sourdough
04-15-2018, 08:37 AM
Well, today is a sad day in my house. Yesterday was the annual Sopchoppy Worm Gruntin' Festival in Sopchoppy, FL. We try to make it each year but came back early this year. I couldn't speak of it yesterday because it's just so emotional. :)

When in that area of FL sometimes you have a yearning for something a "little more sophisticated". Something more "elevated". Enter "worm gruntin'". It seems to fill that void. So, if you're ever in the area and feel that urge, may I even suggest need, for something a little more "high brow" be sure and point yourself toward Sopchoppy; home of what we call the "Sopchoppers".:D

While there, after you've collected your worms, you can rig up a pole and drop them in the Sopchoppy river. No telling what you'll catch, but if you're not picky, you'll have some fine table fare for the evening grill most likely. For your enjoyment, and hopefully a little relief for those stuck in the blizzards, here are a couple of little clips of Sopchoppy and worm gruntin':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ILoGcSxCAY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-h-FvCqwQI

If you can make it down for this social extravaganza next year let me know. I'll probably be there....somewhere..:lol:

jsmith948
04-15-2018, 08:51 AM
Didn't know it had a name. When we were kids, we used to rub the shovel on a rock or limestone outcropping and watch the worms come to the surface - not as much fun as huntin' nightcrawlers with a flashlight - but either way got us a coffee can full of worms:)

ctbruce
04-15-2018, 09:19 AM
I am so going to learn how to do this! Thanks for sharing, I've learned something new today.

chuckster57
04-15-2018, 09:34 AM
I saw that on a Discovery channel a few years ago. Nice to know it's still goin on. Thanks for the videos.

Kayaker_Bill
07-04-2018, 09:19 PM
I have to thank you sourdough I was born and raised in Florida yes in St Pete but I have as a kid traveling all over Fla up to the Suwannee getting arrowheads from the river and exploring the Santa Fe rivers was cave diving at the age of 12 seeing the back roads of Fla (but never in a RV.) But never that I can remember hearing anything of this and have been to Sopchoppy very interesting.

Badbart56
07-05-2018, 03:21 AM
This is my hometown. I don't live there anymore but it's a very special place.

sourdough
07-05-2018, 06:50 AM
This is my hometown. I don't live there anymore but it's a very special place.

I couldn't agree with you more. It's so close to Tallahassee but like it's world's apart. We love it in that area.