PDA

View Full Version : Fridge Not Cooling

garroum
04-14-2018, 04:11 PM
Interesting problem with the fridge....the freezer is cooling just fine on both gas and electric however the fridge is not cooling on gas and electric. Tried resetting the power to the fridge and to the trailer. Any thoughts?

madmaxmutt
04-14-2018, 04:43 PM
Is this ongoing, or did you just turn it on?

ctbruce
04-14-2018, 04:45 PM
Are you on electric or gas? How long has it been on? Madmaxmutt is on the right track. More info needed.

Eastham
04-14-2018, 04:49 PM
Probably not the problem but mine was the same way a few yrs ago and the squirrel had it packed with leaves from the back of fridge to the roof vent.after we cleaned a barrel of leaves out and fixed a few wires it cooled fine.the squirrel had chewed under the screen on the roof vent to get in.

garroum
04-14-2018, 05:11 PM
Are you on electric or gas? How long has it been on? Madmaxmutt is on the right track. More info needed.
its been running for about four hours...first two on gas and the next two on electric.

JRTJH
04-14-2018, 05:34 PM
If this is the first time you've operated it this season, it may just take a while for all of the "juices" (ammonia, sulfur, chromate, etc) to get re-mixed and percolating properly in the cooling system.

I'd leave it alone tonight and see how it goes in the morning after having 8-10 hours of operation.

madmaxmutt
04-14-2018, 05:36 PM
If the freezer walls are freezing, the fridge will likely follow. The slats in the back of the fridge should be getting cold. You can verify airflow up the outside and make sure there are no squirrels or other items blocking that flow :)

Tinner12002
04-15-2018, 03:32 AM
If its a four door frig, you could be having the same issue I had with mine. The flap that's between the lower doors wouldn't always pop back into place thus not having a place for the frig doors to seal to and letting the frig not cool properly. Also as others have mentioned the freezer cools before the frig.

vampress_me
04-15-2018, 06:43 AM
If it’s a normal RV fridge, is the little temp thingie (thermistor?) on the cooling fin properly? Ours has slid out of the plastic slider in the past and when it was just hanging there the fridge wouldn’t cool down.

Duramike
04-15-2018, 08:31 AM
This is one of the first things we learned in our new RV. Turn the fridge on one day before needed. The freezer fins will cool first but the refrigerator takes several hours to reach proper temp. This is especially true in hot weather if the RV is not being used. Turn it on, check it tomorrow, it will be good to go. ��

wiredgeorge
04-17-2018, 03:42 PM
My thermistor was hanging down under the cooling fins and the regrigerator was freezing everything. Since the refrigerator has the automatic and doesn't have a "slide" holding the thermistor, I didn't even notice it until someone point me to the thermistor. I found the clip for the fin lying in a shelf and when I clipped it, it took a couple tries to find the sweetspot (not too cold or hot) and now all is well.

You might want to mention refrigerator brand and appx how old it is. Old brings on its own set of issues.

mskeyspirate
04-18-2018, 06:52 AM
Just had our camper in for some unrelated service. But my wife mentioned that the fridge was freezing everything put in it. Had the service manager take a look. Found that some wire to the thermostat was not hooked up, not letting us regulate temp at all. Stuck on "FREEZE". I realize that your issue is the opposite, maybe just a simple fix.

Lee
04-18-2018, 08:31 AM
Not meaning to Hi-jack this thread but I am curious.

1. What should the temp be with the Thermistor slide at the top of a cooling fin?

2. What should the temp be with the Thermistor slide at the bottom of a cooling fin?

In other words,.. What is the internal temp adjustable range of the fridge?

Tanks,

buvens
04-18-2018, 11:18 AM
Also curious where you could find on of those clips to hold the thermistor?
Ours is missing.

John&Genny
04-18-2018, 11:20 AM
Not meaning to Hi-jack this thread but I am curious.

1. What should the temp be with the Thermistor slide at the top of a cooling fin?

2. What should the temp be with the Thermistor slide at the bottom of a cooling fin?

In other words,.. What is the internal temp adjustable range of the fridge?

Tanks,

I think that depends on so many variables (model, brand, age, etc.) that it would be almost impossible to give a completely accurate answer. What I did on our old trailer was just use a refrigerator thermometer and then adjust the thermistor slide so that the internal refer temp was where it needed to be. It took a few tries to get it right, but once it was set I just marked it.

wiredgeorge
04-18-2018, 11:21 AM
Ours is missing.

The different brands of refrigerator use different clips. A quick google search for "DOMETIC THERMISTOR CLIP" turned up a number of sources.

buvens
04-18-2018, 11:27 AM
The different brands of refrigerator use different clips. A quick google search for "DOMETIC THERMISTOR CLIP" turned up a number of sources.

thanks So Much

John&Genny
04-18-2018, 11:28 AM
Ours is missing.

As I always advise when you are looking for something, Google It! :) Doing a Google search revealed several different clips that you can purchase. Amazon also had a few for Norcold refers.

buvens
04-18-2018, 11:40 AM
Had done a search but didn't use correct criteria.
Thanks again

rsv4pilot
06-02-2018, 10:44 PM
Found this on the Heartland forum:

"I had a very similar issue with my 2118 Norcold. Check the black hard plastic piece on the inside of the left-hand fridge door. This piece moves and is designed to make a seal inside between the doors when both doors are closed.

With mine, the bottom of the plastic bar was hanging up on the made in America sticker. The plastic piece would stick and it was like having the door not sealed in the middle. I removed the sticker and all has been well since. You can actually hear the piece click shut when it is functioning properly. Open both bottom fridge compartment doors and then close just the left ....if that black bar doesn't snap closed...that's the issue. My temps went from 42 to 32 in the fridge and my excessive condensation issue was also resolved!"

Went out and checked my fridge and sure enough the plastic bar that creates the seal between the double doors on the fridge was hung up on the "made in the USA sticker"!!!!!!! I could actually feel the cold air pouring out between the doors when I knelt down to look under the doors.

Peeled the sticker up and made sure the door seal closed and the temp has been dropping a degree every few minutes.

Explains why the freezer was working fine and the fridge wasn't!!!!!

rsv4pilot
06-04-2018, 06:41 PM
Found this on the Heartland forum:

"I had a very similar issue with my 2118 Norcold. Check the black hard plastic piece on the inside of the left-hand fridge door. This piece moves and is designed to make a seal inside between the doors when both doors are closed.

With mine, the bottom of the plastic bar was hanging up on the made in America sticker. The plastic piece would stick and it was like having the door not sealed in the middle. I removed the sticker and all has been well since. You can actually hear the piece click shut when it is functioning properly. Open both bottom fridge compartment doors and then close just the left ....if that black bar doesn't snap closed...that's the issue. My temps went from 42 to 32 in the fridge and my excessive condensation issue was also resolved!"

Went out and checked my fridge and sure enough the plastic bar that creates the seal between the double doors on the fridge was hung up on the "made in the USA sticker"!!!!!!! I could actually feel the cold air pouring out between the doors when I knelt down to look under the doors.

Peeled the sticker up and made sure the door seal closed and the temp has been dropping a degree every few minutes.

Explains why the freezer was working fine and the fridge wasn't!!!!!

UPDATE

Seal was still hanging up on the bottom of the fridge. Found a fairly thin washer and slipped it on the bottom hinge.

Closes every time now.