PDA

View Full Version : Blow out repair

Bebo
04-13-2018, 06:32 PM
Had a China bomb explode...no warnings....destroyed the wheel well skirt - an easy fix/replacement....ripped up aluminum skirting...again, a relative easy fix. Question is the material that protects the insulation is threaded and that wrap to the underside of the RV is loose with tears at screw sites....
With the underside wrap any harm in just relocating the screws - this would involve making new holes in the frame...dont want to really do that....other options?
Any tips on best way to replace fabric like material right over wheels?
BTW, new Sailuns are in the garage waiting to be installed next week

sourdough
04-13-2018, 06:51 PM
Sounds like you are talking about the coroplast that covers the underside of the trailer. In the wheel wells, if it is like mine, I have Darco fabric, sort of stranded as is coroplast. When mine blew up they completely covered the wheel well with new Darco, overlapped all over the place after filling voids with expanding foam. The coroplast, on the bottom, was only slapped a few places by the steel strands from the exploded tire. The insurance company replaced the entire underbelly. Do you have insurance on the trailer? Maybe they could take care of it.

There has been mention of a tape/fabric that is used over coroplast, and maybe Darco, that could be of assistance; I do not recall the name but I'm sure someone will chime in.

And the china bomb story rolls on........

Bebo
04-13-2018, 07:06 PM
I do have insurance, the initial response from the agent is damage from tire failure is not covered....had we crashed it would be....am awaiting response from different person at my agents office....Progressive....they were great when we needed roof fixed - replaced it, only cost me $100.
Tried to add pic, won't up load

sourdough
04-13-2018, 07:14 PM
This was talked about on another thread. Sounds like they are blaming you for the tire failure; improper maintenance, low pressure, driving too fast etc. I would take them to task. Unless they are different where you are, they should cover the damage from an accidental blowout. Tell them you're not sure but there could have been a large bolt in the road.....:D I don't lie or cheat but insurance companies have a propensity to find a reason to deny a claim....one of the reasons I dropped Progressive.

Bebo
04-13-2018, 07:18 PM
Yep, have few days off next week, gonna get a real good look at all the damage and price what it would cost me to fix vs leaving rig at repair shop for weeks on end with travel season upon us. Thanks

JRTJH
04-14-2018, 04:52 AM
We have Progressive insurance and they have stated that they will (do) cover damages caused by tire failure.

Essentially, the purpose of your comp/collision insurance is to protect the investment for the finance company. Just like your car/truck, if you finance the purchase, the finance company requires you to have insurance to repair the item so they don't lose money if you destroy it. Progressive, at least the policy we have, isn't the "final word" on what's approved and what's denied. Your state regulators, usually in the Attorney General's office, established the rules for all insurance companies that sell policies in the state. If Progressive continues to refuse the claim, you might want to contact the state insurance regulators and get their take on the situation. Now, if you refused some specific coverage, you might be "out there without coverage" but if you have the "broad based Progressive RV policy" it "should cover damage caused by tire failure" At least our policy covers it and we don't have any specific add on coverage, just the broad based RV policy for Michigan.

chuckster57
04-14-2018, 06:49 AM
That tape is called scrim tape. It sticks better than duct or gorilla tape.

sourdough
04-14-2018, 07:39 AM
That tape is called scrim tape. It sticks better than duct or gorilla tape.

Chuck, Is this the tape you're referring to? If so, I think I'm going to order a roll and just throw it in the trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/Surface-Shields-BP4180-Shield-Repair/dp/B002SSGAZG/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1523720229&sr=8-2&keywords=scrim+tape

JRTJH
04-14-2018, 08:02 AM
Danny,

That 4" x 108' roll of SCRIM tape is $70. The same thing is available (also on Amazon) for $29. https://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Belly-Bottom-Repair-Fix-Underbelly/dp/B00BJ5SPO8/ref=pd_sim_263_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00BJ5SPO8&pd_rd_r=RG7DQJRZZEJENJQJSQK0&pd_rd_w=BxZUo&pd_rd_wg=f8nTn&psc=1&refRID=RG7DQJRZZEJENJQJSQK0

The only problem I've seen with SCRIM tape is the adhesive deteriorates over time and more rapidly if in a hot, damp environment. So, it may not pay to keep a large quantity on hand for a long time. Chances are it'll be bad by the time you need it. Sort of like a roll of "cheap duct tape", if it sits in the sun, or in a hot truck box, it'll fall apart in your hands when you try to pull it off the roll.

sourdough
04-14-2018, 08:21 AM
Thanks John! That didn't come up on my search on Amazon but I did use "scrim tape" as the search criteria. That saves a considerable amount for sure. Like you said, I was worried about deterioration because I've had some of that duct tape that turned into a glue ball after it sat for a long period in hot weather. At this price it won't be so bad and I'll have it if I need it. Thanks again.

Bebo
04-14-2018, 10:40 AM
Thanks for the insurance info...will be talking to them again on Monday...had called agents office -long term client with other policies, may just call Progressive direct.
Gonna check the tape out as well.

Cowboyk428
04-18-2018, 08:37 AM
I had the same issue with my 332TS. I ended up going to home depot and purchased some window flashing tape to patch the fabric. Great product to have in the trailer for any emergencies.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GCP-Applied-Technologies-Vycor-Plus-9-in-x-75-ft-Roll-Fully-Adhered-Flashing-5003106/203057406

Wxman
04-18-2018, 02:33 PM
We have Progressive insurance and they have stated that they will (do) cover damages caused by tire failure.

Essentially, the purpose of your comp/collision insurance is to protect the investment for the finance company. Just like your car/truck, if you finance the purchase, the finance company requires you to have insurance to repair the item so they don't lose money if you destroy it. Progressive, at least the policy we have, isn't the "final word" on what's approved and what's denied. Your state regulators, usually in the Attorney General's office, established the rules for all insurance companies that sell policies in the state. If Progressive continues to refuse the claim, you might want to contact the state insurance regulators and get their take on the situation. Now, if you refused some specific coverage, you might be "out there without coverage" but if you have the "broad based Progressive RV policy" it "should cover damage caused by tire failure" At least our policy covers it and we don't have any specific add on coverage, just the broad based RV policy for Michigan.

We have a Progressive policy in IN. Damage due to tire failure from road hazard is specifically excluded.

JRTJH
04-18-2018, 03:32 PM
We have a Progressive policy in IN. Damage due to tire failure from road hazard is specifically excluded.

You may be absolutely correct, but based solely on what you posted, half the situation may have been "left for interpretation": What does your Indiana policy say about tire failure NOT from road hazard? There is much to consider in the way words are placed on paper, especially in a legal document. What a court or a lawyer interprets may not be anything like what a "quick first read by a layman" thinks it says.

Not arguing with you, I'm not at all familiar with Indiana insurance regulations, but just from what you posted, if you run over something and cut your tire, the policy probably wouldn't cover damage to the trailer, but if you have a blowout caused by a defective tire, that isn't a "road hazard" and damage may (or may not) be covered by your Progressive policy. What applies to my Michigan Progressive policy wouldn't be regulated by Indiana law and what applies to your policy wouldn't be regulated by Michigan law. It's for certain that laws differ from state to state. I'd suspect it's always advisable to check with the insurance agent who wrote the policy and if your not satisfied with the answer, rather to "just accept it" always follow up with legal advice from a professional, in the state insurance regulator's office and/or a private attorney who is familiar with insurance law.

Bebo
04-18-2018, 06:54 PM
Well, all on all, able to fix everything....except replacing tires for less than my deductible....finishing up hopefully this weekend when weather is warm enough....thanks for everyone's in put....btw, new Sailuns look nice on the rig

sourdough
04-18-2018, 07:26 PM
Well, all on all, able to fix everything....except replacing tires for less than my deductible....finishing up hopefully this weekend when weather is warm enough....thanks for everyone's in put....btw, new Sailuns look nice on the rig

How did the assessment from Progressive come out? Did they allow the damages? I'm all about Gieco. Had a blowout on my trailer; not a WORD about road hazard or anything else to me trying to deny the claim...although I saw, pointed out, and they saw the tread just peeled off the carcass. Gave me a VERY liberal adjustment; fixed all the damages, replaced the underbelly etc. etc. AND, in the end, CW did not charge me for 5 new Carlisle HD tires. Maybe I lived a charmed life....or my CW loves me, but it doesn't sound like your experience.

Bebo
04-18-2018, 07:37 PM
Progressive is willing to have a claims rep come out and look at it, after getting prices on materials to fix... total, not counting tires...tally less than my deductible and 2 afternoons of my time I elected to fix it my self. On plus side, it doesn't have to sit at rv shop for 2 months awaiting to get work done ....esp suing camping season. Last year Progressive was great when had issue with slide, shop did general inspection on rig, found several small holes in roof, got all new roof and antenna for almost nothing

DMK
04-21-2018, 06:20 PM
How did the assessment from Progressive come out? Did they allow the damages? I'm all about Gieco. Had a blowout on my trailer; not a WORD about road hazard or anything else to me trying to deny the claim...although I saw, pointed out, and they saw the tread just peeled off the carcass. Gave me a VERY liberal adjustment; fixed all the damages, replaced the underbelly etc. etc. AND, in the end, CW did not charge me for 5 new Carlisle HD tires. Maybe I lived a charmed life....or my CW loves me, but it doesn't sound like your experience.

I would advise taking those Carlisles off before you do more damage to your trailer. Look at my prior posts on these terrible tires! :banghead:

sourdough
04-21-2018, 07:31 PM
I would advise taking those Carlisles off before you do more damage to your trailer. Look at my prior posts on these terrible tires! :banghead:

A long time ago Carlisle's had a bad reptutation. Not now from what I can ascertain. So far the upgrade I made to the LRE tires has been fantastic. Having dealt with China bombs, I don't put these tires in that class, at all.

CaptnJohn
04-24-2018, 04:57 PM

I ran Carlisle tires many thousands of miles without a problem. Those 5ers came with 80# rims so I went with LR F tires at 87#. Sailun ever since though.

ctbruce
04-24-2018, 05:06 PM
For some reason I have the idea in the back of my mind that there were some counterfeit Carlisles in the market. Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

Blucaddy71
05-09-2018, 02:07 PM
I am interested on the fix you mentioned on your aluminum skirting---did you DIY or outside help? I had 2 blowouts, one on each side and am looking at possibly doing it myself-----any help?

Bebo
05-09-2018, 04:16 PM
Sent message earlier, does not appear to have gone through.....reused aluminum skirting after using rubber smaller to pound out crease and bigger dents. Took trim piece off at top of skirting then reinstalled skirt with the proximal/forward end slightly higher, installed new plastic wheel/fender skirt. Put new insulation in floor hoist space above wheel then installed new fabric/mesh. Still need to take some of sag out of choroplast but.otherwise looks decent....not perfect but is quite acceptable. Have difficulty uploading pics to this as it limits size.