PDA

View Full Version : Floor is creeking and soft

Danigirl
04-11-2018, 03:30 AM
Hello... I recently brought a Denali316 RES fifth wheel. I brought it into the General RV dealer in Tampa Florida because of a floor that creeks and feels soft when you walk on it. The creeking is in the living room and kitchen floor in front of the island and couch. The noise is so loud it wakes people up that are sleeping in the living room. The dealer has contacted Keystone and was told that it is a normal circumstance of this model due to a heater duct running along beneath the floor. Keystone said they would not cover this under the warranty. My coach has been in the shop for 7 weeks and it has been checked and fixed for other cosmetic issue but a serious problem such as a floor that creeks loudly has been a challenge to get fixed. I have walked in another same exact model that is on their lot and it does not make this noise or feel soft like this one. All the service advisor at the dealer have also stated that they feel this is not normal and have also walked in the other unit (on my request) and felt the difference between the two units. The dealer is offering to shim the floor for extra support but I feel there is more to the problem. I have contacted Keystone personally per dealer request and have been denied additional help to fix the problem we are having with the floor. They literally hung up the phone line on me! I told them the should stand behind there product warranty. I guess they didn’t like that. If anyone has any advice or suggestions please help. Thank you.

Dave W
04-11-2018, 04:34 AM
There is not much that holds the floors down on an RV but a few screws. These screws may have missed the cross member(s) in yours during construction. Your dealer can check this by pulling the under belly covering down and do a visual inspection. If he then sees a problem such as no screw holding it in place, then he can then make a case to Keystone that they had a quality problem.

One caution here - do NOT let that dealer do any cutting or slashing of that belly cover as most likely his repair of the inspection hole will not hold

Danigirl
04-11-2018, 07:22 AM
There is not much that holds the floors down on an RV but a few screws. These screws may have missed the cross member(s) in yours during construction. Your dealer can check this by pulling the under belly covering down and do a visual inspection. If he then sees a problem such as no screw holding it in place, then he can then make a case to Keystone that they had a quality problem.

One caution here - do NOT let that dealer do any cutting or slashing of that belly cover as most likely his repair of the inspection hole will not hold
Ok... I will look into that and run it by the service advisor. Is it fairly simple to look and see if the screws are not placed correctly as you say?Interestingly enough, when I spoke to Keystone they stated that the underbelly cover was removed and pictures were taken by the dealer. Then when I called the dealer yesterday the service advisor said he was not aware that they did that. He said that he would get back with me toda with confirmation. I did get a call from Keystone this morning stating that management is communicating with the dealer to further investigate the problem. I requested a video a couple days ago that would record the noise that is produced when you walk on the floor of the RV. This video will be sent to Keystone so they will have additional evidence. I asked for pictures and the video I requested to be sent to me.

Dave W
04-11-2018, 07:44 AM
Good luck and please let us know how you make out with the dealer and Keystone.

That ol' creaky (ahem) wheel will usually get you some satisfaction but maybe not as fast as you hope.

dcg9381
04-11-2018, 09:59 AM
Keystone and was told that it is a normal circumstance of this model due to a heater duct running along beneath the floor

That makes no sense.

Don_T
04-11-2018, 12:04 PM
A couple of years ago we had a different 5th wheel that has a horrible squeak in the bedroom floor. It turned out to be a screw that should have gone through the floor into a crossmember. The screw missed the crossmember but was close enough to touch and it rubbed with every step making the screeching noise. All we had to do was move the screw to where it belonged.

wiredgeorge
04-12-2018, 05:43 AM
That makes no sense.

It probably makes a lot of sense to the Keystone warranty department. :whistling:

Danigirl
04-12-2018, 07:36 AM
Thank you all for the advice I will be sure to let you know updates on what the Keystone and the dealer decide. I’m still waiting on pictures and videos from the dealer.

Danigirl
04-12-2018, 07:37 AM
Thank you I will run this information by the dealer and Keystone.