PDA

View Full Version : Microwave Oven - turntable issue

fixn2gocamp
04-10-2018, 07:58 AM
Is anyone else having any issue with their turntable on their Highpoint microwave? It works, it turns, microwave works, its the ring and plate relationship, I think. Seems like every time I use the oven, the plate pops off the ring. Its IMPOSSIBLE to reseat without a stepstool, several cuss words and microscopic adjustment to get the plate reseated on the ring. :banghead: Bad design? Probably. Cheap appliance? Assuredly. Any ideas for solutions?

Thanks!

ingram
04-10-2018, 08:15 AM
Those things are junk. I had the same problem the first 4 times I used mine. It wasn't an issue after that because it stopped working completely. I found a Magic Chef with the exact same dimensions at Wal-Mart. Swapped the outer shells so I would have the holes for the trim kit, installed. Perfect fit. No more problems.

fixn2gocamp
04-10-2018, 03:13 PM
Thanks Ingram....replacement might be an option. When you say you 'swapped the outer shells" did the Magic Chef come with one? Can you elaborate? I guess I'm a little luckier in that this one is working well enough, wish it had a "warmer" function, but its so frustrating to try and work with, that the option of replacement might be the best one.

SummitPond
04-10-2018, 05:30 PM
Is anyone else having any issue with their turntable on their Highpoint microwave? ...

We have had similar issues with the glass plate/turntable. It seemed to hop off during travel, so we constantly needed to get up on the stepstool to reseat it. Once it's set, it seemed to work fine until we broke camp and went elsewhere.

What we ended up doing is wrapping the glass plate in a dishtowel and turning it upside down in the microwave for travel. I was getting afraid that all that jiggling around might end up breaking something.

ingram
04-11-2018, 03:52 AM
The microwave has a metal "shell", case. The two were almost identical on the outside, except the Highpoint had a few holes in the top for the trim kit and some vents. I unscrewed the (top/shell) from both and swapped them. Now I have the Magic Chef with the holes and vents. I thought I might have to modify the bottom/frame by drilling some holes to take the trim kit, but the holes were already there. The whole process took about 10 minutes. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Magic-Chef-0-9-cu-ft-Microwave/22103109?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227015981929&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40345196792&wl4=pla-63477921785&wl5=9004058&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=22103109&wl13=&veh=sem

ingram
04-11-2018, 03:54 AM
pic installed

fixn2gocamp
04-11-2018, 05:52 AM
Looks great!! Thanks for the picture and the info.... this might have to be the solution!

jsmith948
04-11-2018, 06:22 AM
As already mentioned, just wrap the plate with a towel for transit.
Or, find a pillow that fits. Or carry your bread/pastries in the microwave while traveling. Or, go to the expense of replacing the microwave...which will probably still have a turntable and dish;)

ingram
04-11-2018, 06:30 AM
His issue wasn't that it comes off in transit. They all do that, we know. His issue was it comes off during use. Mine did the same thing until it died. There are several complaints all over the internet about Highpoint microwaves. Malfunction seems to be the norm.

flybouy
04-11-2018, 06:37 AM
Often happens to us on bumpy roads. Fortunately for me at 6'3" not a big deal. If it were, I'd try a Velcro dot in the center before replacing unless you just don't like the microwave. My guess though would be the replacement would have the same issue bouncing around.

wiredgeorge
04-12-2018, 06:12 AM
I have never been quite sure why some of the RV parts manufacturers made "RV MICROWAVES". We have a Dometic RV microwave and a similar unit on Amazon costs about $250. A very very similar size and wattage unit in Walmart is about $60 now.

If you buy a Walmart microwave of almost the same size, the outside shroud can be adapted by drilling a couple holes in the case of the microwave and using a few sheet metal screws. This doesn't hurt the integrity of the seal. Find the model you like and look at Amazon reviews.

Also, more expensive microwaves also double as a convection oven. My missus would much prefer using the oven under the burner tops on our 5ver. Does anyone actually use a convection oven and for what do you bake with it? How is it for broiling steaks (if that is possible)?

flybouy
04-12-2018, 06:53 AM
His issue wasn't that it comes off in transit. They all do that, we know. His issue was it comes off during use. Mine did the same thing until it died. There are several complaints all over the internet about Highpoint microwaves. Malfunction seems to be the norm.

No doubt they are cheap and die quickly but the turntable will come off any brand on a bumpy road. I know from our experience that when the DW puts the turntable back on it will jump off when she turns it on. She is short so she puts it on by feel where I put it on by visually alighting the spindle so when I place it on it stays.

flybouy
04-12-2018, 06:59 AM
I have never been quite sure why some of the RV parts manufacturers made "RV MICROWAVES". We have a Dometic RV microwave and a similar unit on Amazon costs about $250. A very very similar size and wattage unit in Walmart is about $60 now.

If you buy a Walmart microwave of almost the same size, the outside shroud can be adapted by drilling a couple holes in the case of the microwave and using a few sheet metal screws. This doesn't hurt the integrity of the seal. Find the model you like and look at Amazon reviews.

Also, more expensive microwaves also double as a convection oven. My missus would much prefer using the oven under the burner tops on our 5ver. Does anyone actually use a convection oven and for what do you bake with it? How is it for broiling steaks (if that is possible)?
The regular oven in our stick and brick house is convection. We upgraded to convection after using a stand alone countertop unit years ago. That just means that there is a fan inside that distributes the heat more evenly. The results are shorter cooking times and great baking results as you don't get the burned bottoms before the cookie, cake or bread is done.

fixn2gocamp
04-12-2018, 12:38 PM
We never have a problem with the plate moving when we're traveling, it stays right where it's supposed to. The problem comes in every time you use the microwave the plate wants to jump off the ring. I think the perhaps a better microwave is going to be the only option here. Appreciate all the suggestions.

jsmith948
04-12-2018, 12:56 PM
We never have a problem with the plate moving when we're traveling, it stays right where it's supposed to. The problem comes in every time you use the microwave the plate wants to jump off the ring. I think the perhaps a better microwave is going to be the only option here. Appreciate all the suggestions.The plate will tend to jump off of the ring until you get it centered on the ring.

pverrill
05-07-2018, 10:38 AM
My Microwave just died. It turns and the light comes on but it doesn't heat up. Any one have an idea what that might be? I flipped the circuit breaker but that still didn't help.

chuckster57
05-07-2018, 12:35 PM
My Microwave just died. It turns and the light comes on but it doesn't heat up. Any one have an idea what that might be? I flipped the circuit breaker but that still didn't help.

Yeah, the magnetron is toasted. Time for a new oven.

cynjon
05-07-2018, 02:39 PM
They are definitely cheap microwaves. Mine nearly burned my camper down, and possibly my house with it. I had one of those "splatter guards" (that you put over your food while heating it) in it this winter while plugged into shore power. Apparently, the extreme cold (it was around -25F here) caused the membrane switches in the touch pad to activate the microwave and it ran until the splatter guard caught on fire. Lots of smoke smell in the camper, embers in the microwave when I found it (I happened to hear the smoke alarm chirping when I was leaving my garage). According to Keystone, it was my fault for leaving something in the microwave (because no one EVER does that, right?). Lesson learned, I guess...now I leave the breaker off unless I'm actually camping. This was a High Pointe brand microwave...China's finest. Keystone replaced the microwave but said the smoke damage was my fault. Not sure I agree completely with that, but whatever.

fixn2gocamp
05-07-2018, 03:35 PM
You don't have to replace the oven if you're handy. Replace the magnetron. We did it on our convection oven a while back, did the thermal coupler at the same time. Go to https://www.repairclinic.com type in your model number and watch the video, order the parts, watch the video twice more....be sure to discharge the capacitor, twice...watch the video again and Poof. You're fixed for less than $100.

cpaulsen
05-07-2018, 03:57 PM
My HiPoint has never ad a problem with the turn table jumping off the ring. Did you try a little tiny piece of double face tape?

Frank G
05-07-2018, 04:47 PM

About once a year my wife treats me to one of her famous deep dish cherry pies. Well, on one of our outings she decided to try out the combination convection oven / microwave and it turned out to be the most perfect pie ever. :)

pverrill
05-17-2018, 06:21 AM
Thank you I will try this out

Pam

Carrottop
05-17-2018, 07:31 AM
We used to own a class a Holiday Rambler and it did not have the oven under the burner. just a larger convection microwave. My DW learned to use it for roasting and baking and it did a great job. Mine had elements behind the metal wall that did the baking and broiling and you could put tinfoil wrapped food in provided you were using the convection alone setting. We got so used to it we now miss it in our passport.