PDA

View Full Version : Cable slide maintenance

Johnny from Winnipeg
04-10-2018, 01:57 AM
What is your experience with the cables on a cable slide to prevent them from rusting. Was considering coating them with a dry lube, wd40, car wax, oil based lubricant?
THANKS

chuckster57
04-10-2018, 02:19 AM
Straight from Norco

http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/accuslide/accuslide_service-manual.pdf

I see no mention of lubrication of the cables. There is a contact number, maybe call them.

dcg9381
04-10-2018, 12:54 PM
i believe they are stainless. I've had my current setup "out" for a bit (building a house) and they've weathered well. If I was worried about it, I'd consider a wax or perhaps "chain wax" (as I have some).

sourdough
04-10-2018, 02:36 PM
We are beginning the 5th year of ownership on our trailer and I've never had an issue nor do they look like they need any maintenance. I do wipe them off occasionally if they look like they've go dust etc. on them. And, it sits opened for months at a time in FL thru heavy rains, tree leaves and pollen etc.

travelin texans
04-10-2018, 02:37 PM
The ONLY WD40 product I would use would be their silicone spray. The regular WD40 is for rusted bolts only in my opinion or getting tar off your hands or car paint & a very good dust/dirt magnet.
I have Schwintech slide mechanisms & when I bought the manufacturer as well as the factory techs recommended regularly lubrication with silicone lube & I've done so since new without any slide issues & will continue to do so, now they recommend NO lubrication at all, so take your pick. Personally I don't see what a shot of silicone spray would hurt a thing, but it's totally up to the rv owner.