PDA

View Full Version : 2018 239mlwe solar ready

Miller52
04-07-2018, 12:45 PM
My unit has a SAE solar ready plug behind the battery box. They picked a horrible place to install this plug.

I’m curious if this plug is reverse polarity like the zamp plugs. There is no sticker indicating that this is a zamp plug.

I’m wiring up a portable solar panel and I need to know if I need the reverse polarity accessory plug.

Thanks in advance.

grampscamper
04-24-2018, 01:50 PM
My understanding is that it is reverse polarity. I tried to meter it the other day to confirm but I couldn't get a reading on my voltmeter. I assume there is a diode installed between the battery and the plug.

Edit: I just noticed yours may not be a Zamp. I'm not sure about yours. Zamp I've been told are reverse polarity.

Maybe someone else will respond to confirm.

Bob

bill-e
04-24-2018, 03:47 PM
Time to invest in a voltmeter. ;) It is most likely Zamp. Other pre-wire installs are Go Power and Furrion, neither are SAE so hence my Zamp guess.

grampscamper, never heard a report of a diode in line.

Canonman
04-24-2018, 04:02 PM
The SAE plug on our Cougar was not reversed. Red was hot and black was ground. We use a Zamp 200w portable plugged directly into the prewired SAE connector without any issues.

bill-e
04-24-2018, 04:37 PM
The SAE plug on our Cougar was not reversed. Red was hot and black was ground. We use a Zamp 200w portable plugged directly into the prewired SAE connector without any issues.Actually it is reversed, it worked because you plugged in a Zamp panel.

The red wire (+) on a bulkhead Zamp connector is connected to the male pin. On an SAE connector the red (+) wire is connected to the female pin (see pic). Therefore if you had a solar panel wired in accordance with SAE specs the positive lead from the solar panel would be the male pin which when mated with the Zamp connector would be reverse polarity.

ZAMP
https://us.v-cdn.net/6030201/uploads/editor/t7/ipfvoin7d01i.jpg

SAE
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71yoaQId0eL._SL1500_.jpg

Canonman
04-24-2018, 05:00 PM
Don't know about SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) standards. Just know the red lead from the bulkhead was connected to the + battery distribution block when I traced it.
Made sense to me :whistling: