PDA

View Full Version : Toilet problems - maybe

Dave W
04-07-2018, 05:58 AM
I'm being proactive rather then reactive.

I've been reading some horror stories on a couple other forums that I frequent. The supplied Theford Aqua Magic ll toilets are failing and causing major flooding and damage. While we usually turn the water off when not at the RV, sometimes life happens and we forget. This is also toilet #3 with two being replaced virtually before the 5er had more then a few miles . The valve on this one is starting to not close without pulling the pedal up with a foot(yes, it's cleaned and lubed). Not a big deal, but .... is it? I really don't need to spend another 200 bucks this year with the other $$ projects I have for a Dometic but will if enough folks are having or have had a problem.

OK with that said, have some of you fine folks here experienced a valve failure and flooding? Did you replace it with a Dometic? with/without sprayer?

sourdough
04-07-2018, 08:29 AM
Our Thetford started leaking from the ball valve apparently but it ran down inside the pedestal then to the floor. It didn't flood the trailer and I don't turn the water off every time I go out the door - we don't ever leave for more than 6-7 hours when camping. The problem with the Thetford, among others, is the fact that they build the pedestal with large pockets in every corner of the base. Those pockets collect ANY stuff that leaks from the bowl and holds it until they overflow and get on the floor. The "stuff" in the pockets just sits and ferments and stinks to high heavens. Replaced with a Dometic 310, no sprayer, no leaks and problems solved....and no pockets in the base. Hopefully yours won't flood the trailer but I would be wary of it.

travelin texans
04-07-2018, 08:42 AM
Had the leaking problem, pedal falling off, expensive repair parts. Sorry, but I'd get rid of the POS Thetford as soon as possible, if they've already replaced it a couple times that should be some kind of hint.

wiredgeorge
04-10-2018, 05:35 AM
The Aqua Magic and male anatomy are somewhat at odds anyway. I will be going 320 when money allows. My old Auqa Magic has to be flushed with the lever on the bowl edge and bending over and looking into the bowl isn't all that tantalizing anyway.

Dave W
04-10-2018, 05:44 AM
I just put the Dometic 320 on the wish list for a little later this season - too many other things going on (including an income tax bill) like lousy weather for outdoor projects. I will put a Shark Bite shut off valve in the feed water line line though as a stopgap fix.