PDA

View Full Version : Reese Friction Sway Control and Backing

Cracker
04-06-2018, 05:40 AM
My tow vehicle is a GMC 3500 Diesel crew-cab dually with a long bed. As such, I’ve never experience any sway problems with my previous 30’ Trailers - but both came with the Reese dual-cam hitch. Truth be known, I only used 600 lb bars on both trailers simply to “cushion” the shock from the heavy dually damaging the trailers - especially the Airstream. The dually has also been “de-graded” to GM ambulance springs on the rear, again to soften the ride. There was never any reason to attempt distributing the 900 lb hitch load via the equalizer hitch as the dually can “dead-load” handle 1,500 lbs on the ball. The 29rls trailer I just purchased came with an EAZ-LIFT hitch and a Reese Friction Sway Control bar. I really don’t anticipate any sway problems - with or without the sway control bar and, once again, I’ll lightly load the hitch - even though it has 1,000 lb bars. That was a long build-up to a simple question. Aside from the binding potential when backing (two-blocking” in construction lingo) if I decide to try out the sway bar, why do so many people say that the bar friction should be turned off before backing? The Reese instruction sheet doesn’t mention it.

chuckster57
04-06-2018, 05:51 AM
We don’t tell people to “turn it off” ( unwind the tension), we tell them to remove it. Reason being is that the bar will only retract so far and if you continue to turn the trailer, either the bar or one of the balls will give up. The sway plate is just screwed into the frame and may pull out causing damage to the plate and probably the frame. Since I pull a fiver, I don’t have any personal experience so YMMV

Cracker
04-06-2018, 06:11 AM
We don’t tell people to “turn it off” ( unwind the tension), we tell them to remove it. Reason being is that the bar will only retract so far and if you continue to turn the trailer, either the bar or one of the balls will give up. The sway plate is just screwed into the frame and may pull out causing damage to the plate and probably the frame. Since I pull a fiver, I don’t have any personal experience so YMMV

Yep - I agree - but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve read where someone was saying to turn it off rather than remove it. If I had to turn it off every time I was forced to maneuver into place at an “automobile” diesel pump it would quickly be in a roadside ditch!

chuckster57
04-06-2018, 06:20 AM
If you spend enough time on the WWW you will find wrong information/advice abounds. It seems like more and more people want their stuff to “go viral” when in fact it’s just a virus that needs to be eliminated.

JMO but the people that have just turned it off, haven’t turned sharp enough to see what happens...they will only do it once :banghead:

XTeacher
04-08-2018, 05:29 PM
When we had a sway bar on a previous TT, we took it off when checking in at the office of the campground. That way, no problems backing into our site.

{tpc}
04-09-2018, 04:16 AM
I have two, one on each side. Maybe its overkill, but I've found towing to be much improved versus just having one. Ok that was a bit off-topic. Anyways, I always remove both before backing. I usually remove the spring bars as well, depending on the situation, but more often than not.

Pro tip, put them away after you remove them, not on the ground (even if at your campsite) lol. They hold up well to being run over, but not necessarily something you want to do hehe.

MarcS
04-09-2018, 04:49 AM
I usually take the sway control bar off when filling up with water.