PDA

View Full Version : Cant get drums!

Wags
04-04-2018, 09:05 PM
We took our 2011 Keystone Hornet in for brakes, actuators, repack bearings etc.
They called us yesterday to inform us that the manufacturer of our particular drums went out of business and sold off to another manufacturer. They ordered the drums from them twice and both times they were wrong. When called they said “those are the right ones.” NO your specs are wrong. Well sorry we can’t help you. You will have to either replace the spindles or axles. SAY WHAT? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME, THIS CAN NOT BE HAPPENING!
Please if anyone has a clue as to how the heck we find drums please do tell.
:banghead:

Tinner12002
04-05-2018, 02:49 AM
Check with Trekwood RV parts online and see if they might have some.

Dave W
04-05-2018, 04:07 AM
Lippert now owns Dexyer as well as AL-KO. Dexter purchased AL-KO then LCI bought everything though Dexter still maintains a separate entity.

You may need do some comparative research in that most towables have pretty much the same type spindles. Look on the Dexter website and do a download of the spindle dimensions then take a good set of measurements of your existing. There should be a dimensional comparison and a drum that fits - and it will probably not have the same part number. You may need to replace the backing plate as well

To me, it sounds as though your service people have no initiative to go beyond "The Book" and that part number.

Then, as long as any wear is not too bad on what you have, there is a maximum that your existing drums can be machined. Have your mechanics considered that?

ChuckS
04-05-2018, 07:24 AM
Interesting that a light weight 2011 trailer needs new drums... why?

Looking at Trekwood it appears three different weight axles were used.. all by Dexter..
3500, 4400, and 5200 lb axles listed..

Looking at Dexter, etrailer parts it appears all parts are available for those axles..

I’m just wondering why the drums need replacing... that light of a trailer should not have worn out the drums unless no maintenance was done in 7 years and the shoe lining wore out to the point where you had metal on metal...

Look here for starters...

https://shop.redneck-trailer.com/m-14-dexter.aspx#Filter=%5BEntityIDs=@(3)@*Sort=5*ava=0 %5D

Good luck with your repairs.

Wags
04-05-2018, 09:21 AM
We keep up with maintenance on our rig, we asked the same question on why would you replace the drums? It seems the pads were glazed and all drums had a small groove BUT there was still about 25 percent pad left ??

The shop said they have had to many returns on trailers when the drums were not replaced, their policy is break pads changed, drums get changed. That being said in MI where we live you will be hard pressed to find any auto mechanic NOT doing the exact thing.
They also replace all bearings with new, not reuse old. It’s their store policy, ok fine but? 🤨🧐
Then we did take your earlier information this am when we picked up the trailer, they did find drums for it however they were more expensive from the vendor at 143$ a piece. More than most would or should cost. That being said we would never have reused the drums that have been turned down IF THEY HAD ORDERED the right damned drums to begin with. Even at 143$ a pop, we would have paid it.

Wags
04-05-2018, 09:23 AM
I hope I don’t come off as rude, just frustrated beyond belief.

sourdough
04-05-2018, 09:43 AM
We keep up with maintenance on our rig, we asked the same question on why would you replace the drums? It seems the pads were glazed and all drums had a small groove BUT there was still about 25 percent pad left ??

The shop said they have had to many returns on trailers when the drums were not replaced, their policy is break pads changed, drums get changed. That being said in MI where we live you will be hard pressed to find any auto mechanic NOT doing the exact thing.
They also replace all bearings with new, not reuse old. It’s their store policy, ok fine but? ����
Then we did take your earlier information this am when we picked up the trailer, they did find drums for it however they were more expensive from the vendor at 143$ a piece. More than most would or should cost. That being said we would never have reused the drums that have been turned down IF THEY HAD ORDERED the right damned drums to begin with. Even at 143$ a pop, we would have paid it.

I don't know if I'm following this correctly but you're saying the shop tells you if they replace brake shoes they replace the drum?? Why won't they turn the drums? I've had many a drum turned without any issues. Seems rather silly to me. Can you pull the drums and take them to a shop to have them turned? As for the drum having a small groove, that's what turning is for I thought.

Dave W
04-05-2018, 09:59 AM
Wags, I would agree with the shop if you were talking about disc brake rotors on a motor vehicle. I cannot agree with that replacement criteria on a towed vehicle, especially one with drum brakes. There is a safe dimension to turn these drums to and is a process that has been done for many, many years on older cars and trucks. Then replacing wheel bearings - - that would be the last time that shop would ever see me or my trailer. If those bearings are cleaned, inspected for damage and relubed, there is no reason they wont last the life of the trailer. Of course, when you replace drums, you replace bearings.

IMO, the service outfit is ripping you off.

ChuckS
04-05-2018, 10:51 AM
45 years of auto and RV repair experience. I’ve never heard of such non sense with the drums.

However , if you can’t do the work yourself then you are at the mercy of the shop, jacked up parts cost, and labor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelin texans
04-05-2018, 01:59 PM
I replaced all 4 of the complete backing plates with shoes on mine for $75 each & had the drums turned for $25 each on 7k axles. So in my opinion your dealer or rv service just padded their pockets at your expense, but if it were me they would NEVER EVER get another dime from me.
Packing the bearings & changing brakes, easier & just as cheap to just buy complete backing plates, is not a difficult job with a couple jacks & common hand tools, if you don't mind getting your hands dirty, find someone to help you the 1st time & learn to do it yourself.

Wags
04-05-2018, 02:16 PM
Wags, I would agree with the shop if you were talking about disc brake rotors on a motor vehicle. I cannot agree with that replacement criteria on a towed vehicle, especially one with drum brakes. There is a safe dimension to turn these drums to and is a process that has been done for many, many years on older cars and trucks. Then replacing wheel bearings - - that would be the last time that shop would ever see me or my trailer. If those bearings are cleaned, inspected for damage and relubed, there is no reason they wont last the life of the trailer. Of course, when you replace drums, you replace bearings.

IMO, the service outfit is ripping you off.

Thank you, we are looking for another shop for future repairs, there are only three near us and not one of them is worth the powder to blow them to he**.

notanlines
04-05-2018, 02:36 PM
Wags, shops simply do not arbitrarily replace the drums with the shoes every time. And the idea that a shop would automatically replace all bearings with new, along with the seals? Simply preposterous. Might I ask what shop did you use?

Frank G
04-05-2018, 03:21 PM
It has been posted here before, there are 2 surplus shops in White Pigeon Michigan just north of Bristol IN. One is Johnson's Surplus they are on US 12 just west of SR131. They have Brake Parts, complete backer plates, Drums with and without bearings, everything. Not one or two but crates of them, new, not rusty or rejects. They also carry all suspension parts, springs and new complete axles.

I have no affiliation with them, NONE. After visiting them, they are my first source for parts.

www.trailerrvparts.com

Wags
04-05-2018, 09:59 PM
Wags, shops simply do not arbitrarily replace the drums with the shoes every time. And the idea that a shop would automatically replace all bearings with new, along with the seals? Simply preposterous. Might I ask what shop did you use?

Vicars in Taylor MI, the same place we bought the rig.
That’s exactly what they said and that’s why we will never return. They padded their pockets but unfortunately the work was done and we had to pay to get it out. We had never heard of that nonsense either hence why I jumped on this page. Since they couldn’t find the drums they had them turned down. Really WHY THE HELL DIDNT YOU DO THAT TO BEGIN WITH? Oh ahh we never turn them, it’s “our policy that everything gets replaced.” WTH. They had it torn apart, new bearings etc then couldn’t get the new drums. I’m no mechanic, I wish to heaven there were still honest folks out there not ripping people off.

notanlines
04-06-2018, 02:40 AM
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. Social media is your friend. Leave the bad news everywhere you can. I would start with BBB and go from there. Start a Facebook page just to inform the general public of the antics of this organization.
Now that we have that out of the way, don't be a stranger here. There's lots to learn and sometimes there are laughs to be had.

travelin texans
04-06-2018, 09:58 AM
Unfortunately with rv industry as it is, & I've said this numerous times, if you're not somewhat of a handyman with basic plumbing/electrical/mechanical knowledge then be prepared to spend lots of $$$$ & lots of missed usage of your rv while it's sitting in a lot waiting til they decide to work on it.
Sorry to sound harsh, but to anyone that can't do the majority of the repairs themselves they may want to rethink owning a rv, there will always something to repair.

Dave W
04-06-2018, 01:50 PM
Unfortunately with rv industry as it is, & I've said this numerous times, if you're not somewhat of a handyman with basic plumbing/electrical/mechanical knowledge then be prepared to spend lots of $$$$ & lots of missed usage of your rv while it's sitting in a lot waiting til they decide to work on it.
Sorry to sound harsh, but to anyone that can't do the majority of the repairs themselves they may want to rethink owning a rv, there will always something to repair.

Unfortunately, this is true. Luckily I have the tools and 60+ years of either earning a living with them or as a hobby so there is little I can't/wont undertake ~~~ that is until I peek under the hood of my Ford 6.7 diesel powered TV:nonono:

sourdough
04-06-2018, 02:51 PM
Unfortunately, this is true. Luckily I have the tools and 60+ years of either earning a living with them or as a hobby so there is little I can't/wont undertake ~~~ that is until I peek under the hood of my Ford 6.7 diesel powered TV:nonono:

Isn't that the truth!! I marvel at the technological strides that have been made in vehicle engines. Not long ago I pulled my Jeep CJ7 in the shop undid it, stripped it to the block, rebuilt the whole thing and dropped it back in. Easy, lots of room, uncomplicated. On the new ones I open the hood, look inside and wonder where the carb adjustment is :) and all I see is a shroud, hoses, modules, multi plugs, etc. etc. etc.; my eyes glaze over as I quietly shut the hood, shake my head and go back to whatever else I was doing. Oh well....

chuckster57
04-06-2018, 03:30 PM
It’s getting more difficult for the average RV owner to do their own work. Simple things are getting more complex. Try being a service tech and keeping up! My hats off to any owner that can do their own repairs.

notanlines
04-06-2018, 04:33 PM
Traveling Texan and the rest are on the money! There is a lot to consider when buying and repairing a modern RV.

Wags
04-07-2018, 06:13 AM

We do everything EXCEPT drums, bearings etc. My husband is very handy but there are some things that we are not able to do. We live in a metropolitan area and our trailer is in storage. We have to work on it in storage. We are prepared to pay for things we can’t do like I mentioned above however “sorry we can’t get drums” is an entirely different matter all together. I took the info DAVE gave me in and what do you know they found the drums. We should be good for awhile and have located a friend who will do the work for us.

hornet28
04-07-2018, 03:31 PM
Replacing drums and bearings just because reminds me of the time back in the 60's. Fella in the tire dept of Sears tried telling me that taking a wheel off a vehicle meant they had to put new lug nuts on as it wasn't safe otherwise and shouldn't be driven. I asked him where would he find new lug nuts if he had a flat along the side of the road. That shut him up and he never said another word about new lug nuts being a requirement

66joej
04-07-2018, 04:24 PM
Replacing drums and bearings just because reminds me of the time back in the 60's. Fella in the tire dept of Sears tried telling me that taking a wheel off a vehicle meant they had to put new lug nuts on as it wasn't safe otherwise and shouldn't be driven. I asked him where would he find new lug nuts if he had a flat along the side of the road. That shut him up and he never said another word about new lug nuts being a requirement

Actually back in the 50s & 60s where I lived in Northwestern Ontario replacing lug nuts when buying or changing over to summer or winter tires was the norm. Inventive welders where I worked used to make some fancy stuff from those discarded lug nuts

Freeheel4life
04-08-2018, 05:56 AM

Didnt you know?? Its easy to work on new Ford diesels. All you have to do is own a lift and pull the cab to work on it. :banghead:

Dave W
04-08-2018, 06:47 AM
Didnt you know?? Its easy to work on new Ford diesels. All you have to do is own a lift and pull the cab to work on it. :banghead:

I think the later GM offerings are even worse from a few comments I've seen:popcorn: