PDA

View Full Version : Rv gps apps

Keldave4498
04-04-2018, 12:45 PM
Any good rv gps out there:)

Retired Copper
04-04-2018, 02:02 PM
I suppose all of them have their quirks. Garmin has always been my personal favorite but haven`t used the 660 or 770 but they are probably what I would look at if in the market. I had got a great deal on a Magellan RV gps; the newest one, and I like it. It has a big screen and I type in my overall height and length and it works pretty good. I can start typing in a campground and if it is a Good Sam it will pop up right away. It shows truck stops on the up coming exit along with rest areas, dump stations, and campgrounds. I imagine so do the Garmins. ON long trips I use google maps and print out the map also and I always carry a road atlas. I sure others will chime in< I just haven`t had the chance to use other brands. From time to time also use google maps on the cell phone to compare routes. On last outing the traffic alert came over the gps and warned a delay up ahead so I just decided it was a good time to fuel up and take a little break.

Jackitup
04-04-2018, 02:14 PM
I use the Garmin dezl 770 very good maps and it has Truck and a Rv selection

Keldave4498
04-04-2018, 02:51 PM
Im looking for an app not gps unit but thanks

MattHelm21
04-04-2018, 04:53 PM
I actually like Sygic Trucker’s GPS. It lets you put in height, weight, length, number of axles, and type of vehicle. We also keep non RV Waze app available for when we run into traffic since it includes the amount of time you will be stuck.

Harleydodge
04-04-2018, 05:28 PM
I actually like Sygic Trucker’s GPS. It lets you put in height, weight, length, number of axles, and type of vehicle. We also keep non RV Waze app available for when we run into traffic since it includes the amount of time you will be stuck.
Does it actually work properly? I mean will it direct you around low bridges or truck restricted roads ect...?

I have the car version of Sygic and do like it, especially because it does not require a data connection while en-route. Of course the trade off is it uses a lot of storage space for offline maps.

I may have to give the truck version a try.

MattHelm21
04-04-2018, 05:40 PM
In all honesty, it makes mistakes. I think they all do as all of these apps/GPS systems are only as good as the updates. I started using it in 2016 and it steered me wrong once and I was lucky enough that I spotted signage in plenty of time. I’ve tried other apps and my favorite for a while was the Rand McNally app which they pulled years ago so they could sell there hardware GPS. I also like having the offline maps. I just have to remember to download them.

Tinner12002
04-05-2018, 03:01 AM
I use the Garmin dezl 770 very good maps and it has Truck and a Rv selection

I just purchased the same one with lifetime maps and the HD 7" screen, haven't had a chance to use it but it has a ton of different options on it, so looking forward to figuring out all the info available on it.

Tinner12002
04-05-2018, 03:04 AM
Im looking for an app not gps unit but thanks

Oh sorry didn't see this comment...:hide:

ctbruce
04-05-2018, 05:40 AM
Mapquest and Google maps are neither one RV specific. Besides they have a tendency to lose signal at the most inopportune times. They have both led me on a wild ride to save a tenth of a mile. That said, all apps have their limits. I now print off directions ahead of time as my back up. Not just in case but for when it does happen.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hodgy
04-05-2018, 07:11 AM

I have Gramin nuvi 785.

Where would I find and how would I install any gps app on it ?

On another note, sometime in the future the gps satellites will fail and a whole generation will not be able to find their way home.

Harleydodge
04-05-2018, 02:58 PM

I have Gramin nuvi 785.

Where would I find and how would I install any gps app on it ?

On another note, sometime in the future the gps satellites will fail and a whole generation will not be able to find their way home.

You can't "install an app" on a stand-alone GPS unit like yours.
The Apps that this thread is referring to are basically "programs" that you can install on a phone or tablet.

On your other point, yes, Anarchy will ensue, no doubt :lol:

FlyingAroundRV
04-05-2018, 04:47 PM
While recognising that the OP asked for apps rather than GPS, I have to echo the sentiment about blindly following any GPS routing.
We bought a Garmin with lifetime maps and immediately updated the database before we used it. It still sent me down two roads that had been closed for over 25 years, according to the local who rescued us when we got bogged trying to do a U turn on one of the dead ends.

Hodgy
04-06-2018, 05:46 AM
You can't "install an app" on a stand-alone GPS unit like yours.
The Apps that this thread is referring to are basically "programs" that you can install on a phone or tablet.

On your other point, yes, Anarchy will ensue, no doubt :lol:

Thanks, I did not think I could but hope springs eternal !

Hodgy
04-06-2018, 05:48 AM
While recognising that the OP asked for apps rather than GPS, I have to echo the sentiment about blindly following any GPS routing.
We bought a Garmin with lifetime maps and immediately updated the database before we used it. It still sent me down two roads that had been closed for over 25 years, according to the local who rescued us when we got bogged trying to do a U turn on one of the dead ends.

And that is how people end up driving into a river or pot hole, to busy watching and listening to the GPS and not enough driving. When you are in a light plane and the weather is getting worse, do a 180 and get out of there.

rich and cindy
04-10-2018, 12:42 PM
While dedicated GPS units do not have "apps" they do have something called Points of interest (POI) files. These are files that you can download onto your GPS and then see them when you click on POI's. If you have a Garmin, the Garmin site has a free program called POI loader for your PC. Then you go to a site such as POI factory and download various POI files. You can get a file for all McDonalds or Walmarts or state parks or RV campgrounds. Even where is the next rest area on this highway. Best way to customize a GPS to your own needs. We brought back to use an old Garmin and use it all the time with the POIS loaded since our car/truck built in GPS does not have this feature

flybouy
04-11-2018, 07:17 AM
Any good rv gps out there:)

It's been my experience that phone navigation often depends on cell service. Many camp grounds are located in areas where cell service can be sketchy at best.

Duramike
05-02-2018, 09:52 AM
While dedicated GPS units do not have "apps" they do have something called Points of interest (POI) files. These are files that you can download onto your GPS and then see them when you click on POI's. If you have a Garmin, the Garmin site has a free program called POI loader for your PC. Then you go to a site such as POI factory and download various POI files. You can get a file for all McDonalds or Walmarts or state parks or RV campgrounds. Even where is the next rest area on this highway. Best way to customize a GPS to your own needs. We brought back to use an old Garmin and use it all the time with the POIS loaded since our car/truck built in GPS does not have this feature

Speaking of POIS. Here is one that I use with google maps so I don’t take the top off my 5er. Not free but I have had it redirect me around low bridges on a few trips.

http://www.lowclearances.com/

I have used this service with google maps since upgrading to my 5er. The customized POI list is compatible with IOS, Android, and most stand alone GPS devices. I have my map set to warn me if clearance drops below 13’ 8”. Over 7,000 bridges listed in the database. May not be for everyone but I like checking my route before heading out, especially if I haven’t made the trip before. Have a great day everyone, be safe, get out and enjoy the great outdoors.

Harleydodge
05-02-2018, 12:02 PM
Speaking of POIS. Here is one that I use with google maps so I don’t take the top off my 5er. Not free but I have had it redirect me around low bridges on a few trips.

I have used this service with google maps since upgrading to my 5er. The customized POI list is compatible with IOS, Android, and most stand alone GPS devices. I have my map set to warn me if clearance drops below 13’ 8”. Over 7,000 bridges listed in the database. May not be for everyone but I like checking my route before heading out, especially if I haven’t made the trip before. Have a great day everyone, be safe, get out and enjoy the great outdoors.

Thanks for that. I think I will order a license. They happen to be on sale right now too. :D

Tbos
05-02-2018, 01:30 PM

Is it a separate app you install on your phone or just an add on to existing apps? Thanks

Duramike
05-02-2018, 02:39 PM
It is an add on to existing gps apps. It adds a list of low clearance bridges to the map as POI. I use it with Google Maps but I believe it is compatible with most. This is what google maps looks like with the low clearances marked in blue.

Reitz
05-23-2018, 04:41 AM
Try CoPilot GPS, available in an app for ipads or iphones, or android devices. All devices need built in GPS, but you do not have to have cellular service on them. We have used it while visiting every State in the continental US,and Alaska in the past 15+ years, using an ipad. Settings available for car or RV. Can also set height and propane restrictions. Maps are downloaded to your device, so after setting it up you do not need to use cellular data or wifi along the way. It does work better when trying to find POIs if you have some sort of data service available. My ipad does not have cellular service, but I can link it to my cell phone when I need data to find a certain POI.

I also suggest you look into RV Trip Wizard. While we don't use it for GPS it is great for trip planning providing mapping and distances from one stop to the next, with campgrounds, Elks Lodges, along with many other POIs needed by RVers.

Frederick
11-10-2018, 05:24 AM
I use the Rand McNally RVND 7735 with life time updates .. Like it very well makes it easy to locate camp grounds while traveling .. Not sure if this model still sold but like an GPS I dont care what brand anyone has the all make mistakes found this out from talking to other SB in AZ