PDA

View Full Version : Virgin spare

Cracker
04-03-2018, 01:42 PM
I feel like I’m facing down Clint Eastwood and he’s asking “Do you feel lucky?” The spare on my 2005 29rls has never had the tire cover off and, in addition, it’s always been garaged for 7 months out of the year. I just ordered new tires to replace the “original” tires (I just bought the trailer) and I included a new spare in the order. Now, I’ve always replaced my tires every six years max but, if the spare had been protected from the sun and never used, I was willing to gamble on it being good for another six years - strictly as a spare. With careful tire maintenance - and a healthy dose of luck - I’ve never experienced a flat tire or blowout in 53 years of RVs. I’ve ordered five tires but——————-

notanlines
04-03-2018, 01:45 PM
Cracker, I don't think I understand your post. What makes you think you have a problem?

instymp
04-03-2018, 01:55 PM
I think you done right. At least, that is what I would have done.

sourdough
04-03-2018, 02:33 PM
If I'm following correctly you did the right thing by ordering five tires - install them all.

A 6 year old spare sitting on the back of a trailer under a cover is.....a 6 year old tire. Because it's not on the ground doesn't mean it's not deteriorating every single day. Replaced all the tires on my Jeep CJ last fall, not because they were worn out but because they aged out. Replaced the spare as well (never been on the ground). When I inspected the tires before replacing I could see the little age cracks around the seam on the outside of the tire. A trailer tire does the same thing.

If you run your tires 6 years you are going the max IMO. In your position I would never consider holding on to that unused spare for another 6 years. A "healthy dose of luck" is good to have in certain things.....but counting on it to keep yourself and family safe while running aged out tires is pushing things to me. Good luck with your FIVE new tires!!:)

Cracker
04-03-2018, 02:55 PM
It’s just hard to look at that spare - no cracks visible anywhere - and then shell out another $125 or so for a new one. I just had to vent but, yes, I’ll definitely install five new tires!

busterbrown
04-03-2018, 03:10 PM
It’s just hard to look at that spare - no cracks visible anywhere - and then shell out another $125 or so for a new one. I just had to vent but, yes, I’ll definitely install five new tires!

Considering your 5th new tire will be used exclusively as a spare, another cost savings option would be to buy a lesser known brand (ie. Trailer King, can't believe I just wrote that:hide:) as it won't have much pavement time. Did you consider Carlisle Trail HDs as a replacement set for all 5 as the cost is substantially lower than what you quoted?

JRTJH
04-03-2018, 03:28 PM
ST tires have polyester cords "buried" in the carcass. That is wrapped with steel belts and then the tread is "baked" onto the outside. Through the years that polyester tends to do the same thing a tarp would do when sitting folded up (inside parts not exposed to the sun) and stored in a plastic storage container that's placed out behind the barn on an old storage rack. Even though the container may protect that tarp from the sun's rays, the heat, moisture, freezing and thawing through the years will cause that canvas tarp to "dry rot" on the inside. It may look "ok to use" but first time it's put to the test in a rainstorm, chances are it's not going to hold up as well as we'd hope it would.

Same with tires. Here's some "unseen deterioration" on my ST tires from a couple years ago. Completely hidden and no way to see the damage while the tires were installed on a wheel and pressurized. Once removed, it is readily apparent that they were not serviceable. These were in service for 3 years, almost 4 years from manufacture date and never abused, always covered, cared for and showed no visible deterioration.

The reason for all the above "long winded explanation" is to demonstrate that sometimes, what looks perfectly normal may have some hidden deterioration that would set up a "perfect situation for pending failure".... Why risk a problem when dealing with a "timed out, unknown tire"???

I'd say you did the right thing by buying 5 tires. Even if the spare were "OK to use" is it worth the gamble?

Here's an example of a completely hidden "bomb in the making"....

sourdough
04-03-2018, 03:33 PM

I know, I know.:) I do the same thing, and the good thing about this forum is you're venting to so many folks that have faced the same thing....;)

Ken / Claudia
04-03-2018, 03:43 PM
Hey, I tossed the spares on the TT and boat trailer, never where on the trailers.
Both stored in a garage unless under the truck cover while towing.
Just piece of mind maybe they would hold up for 1 trip, maybe not. Replaced when I purchased the other 4, one more was not a deal breaker.

chuckster57
04-03-2018, 07:15 PM
When I ponied up for new shoes on the TV last year, I did all 7 tires. When it’s time to do the fiver I will pony up for 5.

You done good pilgrim! I thinks that’s how it goes.

Tinner12002
04-04-2018, 02:19 AM

That $125 tire might be the difference in keeping your record intact or breaking it! All 5 was a good choice.

Cracker
04-04-2018, 08:57 AM
OK - I feel better now! As an aside, I told my supplier that I wouldn’t accept any tire over 6 months old and he has already got back to me with the date stamps on all 5 tires. Many thanks to all for the words of wisdom.