PDA

View Full Version : Fender Skirt

502monte
04-01-2018, 05:40 AM
Noticed on my 2017 Cougar 336BHS that the fender skirt has a warp in it over the winter. Any one else have this happen?

Jackitup
04-01-2018, 05:49 AM
Wow never seen that before it almost looks like the was melted, that is odd that would happen just sitting over the winter I curious also

chartrand
04-01-2018, 05:52 AM
Yeah, cold weather would not cause that, that’s a heat issue. Like a BBQ grill was to close, or someone use a heat gun on it. My guess is a BBQ grill since it’s on the awning side of the rig. Has anything happened to the other side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

502monte
04-01-2018, 05:56 AM
No BBQ this happened over the winter camper sitting in my side yard. Other side is fine. I was thinking of using a heat gun to fix it.

Jackitup
04-01-2018, 05:59 AM
You said side yard.... Do you have any exhaust coming out the side of your house?Dryer hot water heater furnace?

502monte
04-01-2018, 06:34 AM
The camper is about 20 feet from my house. And this is not the sunny side.

vampress_me
04-01-2018, 06:46 AM
That is crazy. I have never seen cold warp plastic like that, it makes it brittle and more susceptible to shattering or at least cracking if hit with something while cold. Heat is what will melt/ warp plastic like what yours looks like. And it’s also very interesting how the front 1/2 of the fender over the front axle is just fine. I hope you figures it out, and let us know too!

JRTJH
04-01-2018, 07:06 AM
I wonder if it might have been caused by a chemical reaction from something that was applied to protect the plastic? Maybe Armor-All, or ????? The pictures appear to show (at least to me) some "melted plastic". It could be melted from heat or from some chemical reaction. I've never seen that kind of deterioration from "just sitting beside the house for the winter"....

Was the trailer covered? If so, possibly something "leaching" from the tires, out of the wax/sealer on the FILON or a roof coating product? My guess would be a chemical reaction if there was no heat in the vicinity of the skirt.

Blizardj
04-01-2018, 08:38 AM
Beings it's so localized, I'm betting it's reflected sunlight from a neighbors window or car.

Reflected light can be much hotter than direct sunlight.

John

Ken / Claudia
04-01-2018, 10:50 AM
Just guessing but, I was going where post #9 went. It happens to vinyl house siding when a window reflects the sun light.

502monte
04-01-2018, 12:38 PM
There are two house windows that could reflect sun light at the trailer. The windows are parallel to the trailer

FlyingAroundRV
04-01-2018, 05:10 PM
Are you having any trouble with neighbors or vandalism on the street? The damage to the skirt looks very like a chemical reaction, gasoline or solvents.

sourdough
04-01-2018, 06:46 PM
That is heat damage. I've made plastic look like that many times mostly unintentionally. More heat won't fix it.

And yes, chemicals can do that as well but I assumed you haven't applied that to the fenders??