PDA

View Full Version : 1946 Spartan Manor restoration

SummitPond
03-31-2018, 05:52 PM
An article in today's newspaper highlighted a restoration of a 1946 Spartan Manor travel trailer (sort of like an Airstream) and provided a web site (https://1946spartanmanor.wordpress.com/2017/01/15/first-sight/). I found it fascinating. Others on this site have had major reconstruction issues with their TTs; this puts it all in one spot.

notanlines
04-01-2018, 03:09 AM
Ken, I don't know if you caught this phrase, but while the couple was preparing to tow this beast home the previous owner told them " the tongue weight was enough to keep the Spartan securely on the hitch ball" when the fastener was too rusted to keep it on the receiver ball.
It doesn't take all kinds, there just ARE all kinds.....

SummitPond
04-01-2018, 04:42 AM
Ken, I don't know if you caught this phrase ...

Jim, yes, I did. And they towed it down the road at 60 mph!

I seem to recall they took a sledge hammer and beat the coupling latch (name?) into submission so the ball clasp was engaged (implied, not stated) and had to saw the receiver off when they got home, so it must have been fairly secure.

I found it interesting they did not put any LP appliances in - it's all electric. Maybe it was because the owners were not comfortable working with gas.