PDA

View Full Version : Propane Pigtail Threads (sealing)

ljp
03-31-2018, 03:11 PM
Looking for the best material to use in order to seal new pigtail (threaded) connection to our regulator & propane tanks.

Considering use of "Blue Hawk" (yellow) Teflon tape purchased at Lowe's.

When I contacted tech at Camping World he didn't seem very knowledgeable, wasn't able to initially answer my question and after checking with someone suggested I use (white) Teflon. Employee at Lowe's simply reported they use the white tape in Ohio.

Any suggestions?

drdarrin
03-31-2018, 03:17 PM
I’ve used the yellow tape on propane connection successfully. I would advise against white Teflon tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobbecky
03-31-2018, 05:43 PM
The end of the pigtail should be a 1/4" inverted male flare, and this seals against the internal part of the female fittings on your regulator. Do not use any tape or pipe dope, as the fitting is designed to seal metal against metal in the fitting. Putting pipe dope or tape does nothing to seal the fitting.

chuckster57
03-31-2018, 06:17 PM
The end of the pigtail should be a 1/4" inverted male flare, and this seals against the internal part of the female fittings on your regulator. Do not use any tape or pipe dope, as the fitting is designed to seal metal against metal in the fitting. Putting pipe dope or tape does nothing to seal the fitting.

/\ /\

Early pigtails used threaded fittings at the regulator. As stated, they are flare fittings and require nothing to seal.

Gegrad
03-31-2018, 06:50 PM
Are all 3 pigtails flared? The ones going into the regulator and the single line to the trailer? I just ordered a new self switching regulator and will be installing it soon.

chuckster57
03-31-2018, 07:07 PM
There should be a brass “nipple” that is threaded on one side and flared on the other. The threaded part will go into the regulator and the supply line should be flared at the end. Only the THREADED part needs thread sealant. You can use tape or pipe dope. I prefer the dope and use Rectors #5, if you use tape make sure to use tape designed for sealing gas threads (common color is yellow).

Dave W
04-01-2018, 04:27 AM
I found yesterday that there are two different types of threads on the regulator end of propane hoses - and I have both on our 5er. The original and one replacement are NPT and were screwed directly into the regulator. The second is an inverted flare fitting, required an adapter and what the second replacement hose has.

I really dislike Teflon pipe tape. It never seems to do the job well so use Rector Seal #5 which is rated for gas use. It also was one of several specified by our town's building inspector when I installed a new gas furnace and water heater.

Tinner12002
04-01-2018, 06:31 AM
I looked online and the yellow Teflon tape is what was recommended, not white.