PDA

View Full Version : Slide out topper for 26RBI

sfd703
03-31-2018, 11:15 AM
Hi there, I apologize if this has been covered. I've searched online and I don't have access to my owners manual (since our 2016 Keystone Cougar 26RBI is in winter storage).

I'm looking to get a topper for the dining room slide out. However, I can't seem to find any information online as to the length that is needed.

So, does anyone happen to know how long the dining room slide out is? Or what length slide out I'll need

Also, we are fairly new to the RV community. This will be our second seasonal camping season, third year with our camper. So, any one with any pointers for seasonal camping will be greatly appreciated.

wbdvt
03-31-2018, 12:29 PM
Welcome! You will receive a lot of opinions on a topper. I had one put on my 2014 Cougar 21RBS and after having it for awhile now, I would not get one on a new TT. It can be noisy in wind and collect water after a rain.

JRTJH
03-31-2018, 12:32 PM
It would be best if you measure your slide to confirm all measurements. There are two ways to measure: 1) from slide side to slide side and 2) from slide flange to slide flange. Then, there is always the "confusion factor" in posting measurements on the forum. So, if you measure yourself, then you'll know that you're ordering the correct awning. Usually, they are a "non-returnable" item and at $300 or more, you'll want to know for certain that you're getting what you need.

You can go to this site and read how to measure and what to measure to order the correct awning. The only "confusing part" is the height of the flange and whether you'll need "tall brackets or short brackets". Typically, all Keystone slides require tall brackets.

https://www.e-carefree.com/ecarefree30/cfg?pid=48&action=cfg

On the far right side of the "AWNING LENGTH" section is a "learn more" button. Click on that and it will give you additional information.

If you get confused, post your questions and someone will answer them for you. I'd urge you to measure for yourself, at the cost of awnings, you surely don't want to order the wrong one and not be able to return it.

chuckster57
03-31-2018, 12:36 PM
Normal measurement is total length of slide and width of vertical flanges.

sfd703
03-31-2018, 03:51 PM
Awesome! Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I truly appreciate it. I just wanted to get a head start on ordering a topper. Guess it takes 2-3 weeks to deliver one.

If anyone has any pointers, please feel free to PM me. I'm all ears when it comes to upgrading our travel trailer.

JRTJH
03-31-2018, 04:12 PM
If you're going to buy Carefree brand, go to their website and do your configuration, then enter the part numbers into Google search. When I bought mine, I found both of them from third party sellers (different vendors) on Amazon. The large slide awning was about $150 cheaper than CW and Carefree's recommended sites and the small awning for the bedroom was about $90 cheaper. Saving $240 was a plus for me, and shipping on them was included in the price. With Carefree's site recommendations, they would have shipped motor freight, adding at least another $100 in costs.

So, shop around, make sure you're getting the best price. Installing them is easy, once you get over the "fear and/or intimidation" of drilling multiple holes in the side of your trailer.

rhagfo
03-31-2018, 06:32 PM
We got our Dometic from Makarios RV, great service and great measuring instructions.

https://www.makariosrv.com/dometic-slide-toppers/

Tinner12002
04-01-2018, 06:07 AM
Well the only thing I would say that if your in the least bit not comfortable installing it yourself, let the dealer install it and measure and order it, at least the installation would be warranted.