PDA

View Full Version : Outside kitchen fridge smell!!!

DTJ9610
06-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Ok so last week after I brought the camper home from the dealer for some service work I decided to open the outside kitchen. As I did I received quite the surprise. A brutal smell. As I opened the mini fridge the smell was worse. It appears when I emptied the fridge 3 weeks ago I left a package of frozen sausages in the freezer. Rest assured they were no longer frozen. I have since washed out the fridge with ammonia, bleach (not at the same time), put in baking soda and charcoal and there is still a decent scent. Any other suggestions to eliminate the odor.

On a side not it came in handy as I told the kids to take a wiff and since were wee going to Gettysburg it's what the battle fields smelled like after the fighting (only imagine 100x worse)...
:eek:

hankaye
07-01-2011, 07:34 AM
DTJ9610, Howdy;

Try placing 1 cup of ground coffee in there (loose), put some right on top of where the sausauge used to be. Leave the door open and exposed to the sun. Leave it in there for a week.

hankaye

hankpage
07-01-2011, 08:22 AM
On a side not it came in handy as I told the kids to take a wiff and since were wee going to Gettysburg it's what the battle fields smelled like after the fighting (only imagine 100x worse)...
:eek:

You may have come up with an idea for a "Scratch & Sniff" novel of the Civil War Era. ................ As Hankaye has said coffee absorbs the oder very well.

Johnnyfry
07-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Hankaye probably had the best suggestion. Fact is that the plastic liner adsorbed the bad odor and to release it calls for something that can draw the offending smell out. Baking soda was a first approximation. Coffee is the next step and I have heard of this also.

If all else fails you might get results with a UV germicidal lamp. Please don't ask where to get one because I don't know, but I do know they are powerful oxiadizing agents which might just do the job.

Best of luck,

John

hankaye
07-02-2011, 07:00 AM
Howdy All;

The company that I used to drive for would, on occasion, get a load of 'renderings' (the bones with some meat still clinging to them), from aslaughter house in Kansas and haul it to a dogfood plant in Ca. Sometimes the "product" would be in those (NON), refridgerated trailers for over a week in the HOT Southwest sun. We'd open a can of coffee and scatterit over the floor (wooden), and let it set for a week with the back end faceing the afternoon sun...worked everytime. :bdance:

hankaye

Admin, Howdy;

Thanks for new smilies..."bouncey:

The Sod Father
07-06-2011, 06:19 AM
Another vote for coffee. During a transatlantic flight, I noticed a coffee filter pack (like a giant coffee tea bag) taped to the back of the lavatory door. No nasty smell.

hankaye
07-06-2011, 03:15 PM
DTJ9610, Howdy;

Please let us know what you used and how it worked.
I'm sure that there are some of us out here that may
do something similar :banghead:.

hankaye

Likin' these new smilies :bdance:

DTJ9610
07-07-2011, 04:51 AM
This weekend I'm going to put in the coffee grounds. Haven't had a chance just yet. Currently there are 2 cups of baking soda with some sprinkled on the freezer spot and charcol and there is still an odor.

hankaye
07-07-2011, 08:36 AM
DTJ9610, Howdy;

NOT USED GROUNDS !

Has to be FRESH (un-cooked), coffee!
All the wet used stuff does is lay there and leave a damp stain.....

hankaye

DTJ9610
07-08-2011, 07:05 AM
DTJ9610, Howdy;

NOT USED GROUNDS !

Has to be FRESH (un-cooked), coffee!
All the wet used stuff does is lay there and leave a damp stain.....

hankaye

Give me some credit here. :eek:

hankpage
07-08-2011, 07:17 AM

In this economy we all might be tempted to safe some $ wherever we can. :yes:

hankaye
07-08-2011, 04:08 PM
DTJ9610, Howdy;

OK! But you'd be suprised at some of the knuckleheads (:rolleyes:), that I run into during my time on this planet...

hankaye

Handysam
07-08-2011, 06:07 PM
So then, how do you get rid of the coffee smell? :dizzy:

Ruffus
07-09-2011, 03:14 AM
Come on DTJ9610, don't be so hard on Hankaye about the coffee grounds comment, after all you did leave a package of sausage in a hot refrigerator for three weeks, just smile and move on, we all done worse.:rofl:

hankaye
07-09-2011, 06:15 AM
Handysam, Howdy;

So then, how do you get rid of the coffee smell? :dizzy:

Why would you want to ??????

hankaye :wave:

DTJ9610
07-11-2011, 05:52 AM
Come on DTJ9610, don't be so hard on Hankaye about the coffee grounds comment, after all you did leave a package of sausage in a hot refrigerator for three weeks, just smile and move on, we all done worse.:rofl:

I'm just messing with him.... I just hope that the coffee works on the smell. At this rate I may be better off just buying a new fridge...:banghead: (not a chance).

As for getting rid of the coffee smell - 2 cream & 2 sugar usually works.

DTJ9610
07-15-2011, 04:59 AM
WOW!!!! The coffee worked like a charm. Put it in Wednesday, a couple small cups with some sprinkled right in the freezer were the sausage box died and the smell is just about gone. A HUGE improvement over everything else I've tried the past few weeks.

hankaye you are a life saver. Thank you

hankaye
07-15-2011, 05:48 AM
DTJ9610, Howdy;

:thumbsup:,

:wave:

hankaye