PDA

View Full Version : Side tilt when towing

limit4
03-27-2018, 08:41 AM
I have always towed our 5th wheel with the side tilt engaged on our Reese hitch. I was informed yesterday that I should lock the tilt out after hookup. Your thoughts please and thanks.

jsmith948
03-27-2018, 08:57 AM
I have always towed our 5th wheel with the side tilt engaged on our Reese hitch. I was informed yesterday that I should lock the tilt out after hookup. Your thoughts please and thanks.On our Reese hitch, there is no provision for locking the side to side articulation of the hitch. I'm not sure why you would want to. Having that feature helps reduce the stress on the frame.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

chuckster57
03-27-2018, 12:25 PM
I have the ability to lock out the side to side tilt, but don’t. I prefer as much contact as possible when moving.

travelin texans
03-27-2018, 05:58 PM
I would think if the hitch didn't tilt with the 5er the whole tv would. Sounds like advice given by a salesperson that NEVER towed anything but their little red wagon.

chuckster57
03-27-2018, 06:09 PM
Back when I had my first fiver and hitch in ‘89, the RBW hitch I had only rotated front/back. I could watch the king pin box “roll” to one side or the other on some roads. When I bought my current TV in ‘08 I made sure the new hitch had 2 axis articulation. Wouldn’t be without it, and that lube plate!!

notanlines
03-28-2018, 02:27 AM
I concur with everything said. And the nylon lube plate is just an added plus. I can't even figure why a company would enable a user to lock out the side to side.

rhagfo
03-28-2018, 04:12 AM
Locking the side tilt, can put more stress on the pin box and hitch when going out of a driveway at an angle. Older hitches didn’t tilt side to side, but they also had much shorter pin boxes.

limit4
03-28-2018, 04:37 AM
Thanks to all. I will continue to tow as I have with the side tiltOh, Danny, you ere pretty close to who advised me to tow with it locked in the no tilt position.