PDA

View Full Version : John from NC

PVMasterChief
03-26-2018, 08:36 AM
Hey everyone,

Glad to see such a thriving Keystone forum. My wife and I are in the process of trading in our 2005 Keystone Outback 28RSS for a brand new 2018 Keystone Bullet 330BHS. I tow with a 2005 Ford F-150 with the 5.4l Triton. We have two boys and love using the RV whenever we can. Looking forward to actively asking and answering questions. Thanks again for having us.

MarcS
03-26-2018, 08:50 AM
Welcome to the forum from Fowlerville Michigan!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

PVMasterChief
03-26-2018, 09:26 AM
Thanks, Marc!

xrated
03-26-2018, 09:38 AM
Welcome from E. TN....south of Knoxville.

Chris P
03-26-2018, 12:22 PM
Welcome from New Jersey

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PVMasterChief
03-26-2018, 01:44 PM
Thanks, Chris!

PVMasterChief
03-26-2018, 01:46 PM
Thanks, xrated!

Retired Copper
03-26-2018, 01:51 PM
Welcome:wlcm:

PVMasterChief
03-26-2018, 02:55 PM
Thanks, Copper!

Gegrad
03-26-2018, 04:15 PM
Welcome from nearby Willow Spring!

PVMasterChief
03-26-2018, 06:21 PM
Thanks, Gegrad!

busterbrown
03-26-2018, 07:05 PM
Hey everyone,

Glad to see such a thriving Keystone forum. My wife and I are in the process of trading in our 2005 Keystone Outback 28RSS for a brand new 2018 Keystone Bullet 330BHS. I tow with a 2005 Ford F-150 with the 5.4l Triton. We have two boys and love using the RV whenever we can. Looking forward to actively asking and answering questions. Thanks again for having us.

Hey everyone,

Hello, welcome and congrats on the process of buying your new Bullet. I've owned a 35' Bullet now for about 2 years (see my signature) and it's been a great coach for my growing family.

Just curious if you're planning on using that F-150 to pull your new Bullet? Being nearly 10 feet longer than your outgoing 28 foot trailer and almost 1600 lbs heavier, this is going to be one beast to tow. How do I know? My first season towing was with a long wheelbase Yukon XL Denali. My trailer is nearly 1000 lbs lighter than the 330BHS. I had to upgrade to a very expensive Hensley hitch to rein in very dangerous and unsafe sway conditions.

Unfortunately with 3 growing boys and all the cargo we brought with us pushed my TV over it's payload capacity. My Denali had so much more horsepower and torque than your aging 3V 5.4L triton F150. It did well as it was equipped with stiffer tires, self leveling air suspension, 2nd transmission oil cooler, and performance EBC brakes/rotors. But moving and stopping it is about the weights and safe towing practice.

Just take a look at your truck's manufacturer towing specs (GVWR, GCWR, GAWR, Payload). It may handle your current trailer. But the new Bullet may "own" it when it comes time to "go camping".

I'm not here to write a discouraging reply to your future plans. I know the enthusiasm behind a big new RV purchase; and you should be excited. But I know first hand how these heavy, long, spred axle trailers behave behind an average 1/2 ton truck: horrible along each mile marker. Any wind, hills, or passing large semi's will make you a believer in my general sentiments. Obviously, this is my opinion but I bet most members on here will tend to agree.

Good luck and safe travels.

sourdough
03-26-2018, 07:23 PM
Hello, welcome and congrats on the process of buying your new Bullet. I've owned a 35' Bullet now for about 2 years (see my signature) and it's been a great coach for my growing family.

Just curious if you're planning on using that F-150 to pull your new Bullet? Being nearly 10 feet longer than your outgoing 28 foot trailer and almost 1600 lbs heavier, this is going to be one beast to tow. How do I know? My first season towing was with a long wheelbase Yukon XL Denali. My trailer is nearly 1000 lbs lighter than the 330BHS. I had to upgrade to a very expensive Hensley hitch to rein in very dangerous and unsafe sway conditions.

Unfortunately with 3 growing boys and all the cargo we brought with us pushed my TV over it's payload capacity. My Denali had so much more horsepower and torque than your aging 3V 5.4L triton F150. It did well as it was equipped with stiffer tires, self leveling air suspension, 2nd transmission oil cooler, and performance EBC brakes/rotors. But moving and stopping it is about the weights and safe towing practice.

Just take a look at your truck's manufacturer towing specs (GVWR, GCWR, GAWR, Payload). It may handle your current trailer. But the new Bullet may "own" it when it comes time to "go camping".

I'm not here to write a discouraging reply to your future plans. I know the enthusiasm behind a big new RV purchase; and you should be excited. But I know first hand how these heavy, long, spred axle trailers behave behind an average 1/2 ton truck: horrible along each mile marker. Any wind, hills, or passing large semi's will make you a believer in my general sentiments. Obviously, this is my opinion but I bet most members on here will tend to agree.

Good luck and safe travels.

Busterbrown has been through this exercise before, as have many of us. Look at his comments, and most importantly, look at the weights of your trailer and the limits of your truck. Happy camping.

5J's
03-26-2018, 08:02 PM
Welcome to the forum from SE Texas. I don't want to be the weight police but, just be sure your family and those traveling around are safe. Enjoy your new trailer!

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Tinner12002
03-27-2018, 02:04 AM
Congrats on your new RV and welcome to the forum from NW IN.

Chief Mole
03-27-2018, 07:00 AM
Welcome from the Midlands of South Carolina! :camping:

Tbos
03-27-2018, 07:12 AM
Welcome to the forum from Southern MD. Enjoy your new rig.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

Wagnfixr
03-28-2018, 03:50 AM
Welcome, from Fuquay-Varina!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PVMasterChief
03-28-2018, 06:19 AM
Wow, couldn’t keep up. Thanks to everyone for the many welcomes and the caring tow vehicle tips. I appreciate it.

PVMasterChief
04-03-2018, 06:22 AM
Hey busterbrown and sourdough,

Your posts followed my line of thinking concerning tow vehicles. The new 330BHS was always going to hit or exceed the Ford’s specifications. My wife and I finished signing the paperwork for the new Bullet on Friday and pick it up next week, assuming the PDI goes well. The Ford has been traded for a 2016 Ram 2500 HD Laramie Mega Cab with the Cummins turbo diesel. It’s a great truck with a decent ride even when unladen. I’m looking forward to taking the new combined rig out safely and soundly as soon as we can and I appreciate your words of advice. Thanks again.

lesleyinky
04-03-2018, 10:36 AM
Sounds like a wise decision! Can never be too safe!

So many of us have realized after the RV purchase that the existing TV may not be up to par and hence we trade. I️ laugh when I️ think about a huge dealership in Cincinnati, OH that sells new RV’s and new GMC trucks. I️ asked a salesman once how many people come in there to buy a camper only but leave with a new truck as well. He laughed and would only say more that you’d probably expect. [emoji23][emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank G
04-03-2018, 02:24 PM
Hey busterbrown and sourdough,

Your posts followed my line of thinking concerning tow vehicles. The new 330BHS was always going to hit or exceed the Ford’s specifications. My wife and I finished signing the paperwork for the new Bullet on Friday and pick it up next week, assuming the PDI goes well. The Ford has been traded for a 2016 Ram 2500 HD Laramie Mega Cab with the Cummins turbo diesel. It’s a great truck with a decent ride even when unladen. I’m looking forward to taking the new combined rig out safely and soundly as soon as we can and I appreciate your words of advice. Thanks again.

Welcome, and good choice of TV. A couple of things I would do, Make sure the WDH has a 2 1/2" Shank. A 2" shank downgrades the trucks hitch plus it has more slop. Make sure the trailer is level after hitching up, you have a tall truck and receiver. Learn to use the tow/haul mode and turbo exhaust brake. Your OEM trailer brake is unlike others and needs to be set up. (Check your owners manual) I would think Heavy Electric and a soft setting maybe 3 or 4. Trailers with single axle brakes get set on Light Electric. My 13K 5th wheel requires 8.5 to 9.

Tbos
04-04-2018, 06:36 AM
We are looking forward to seeing pictures of your new truck and TT.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW