PDA

View Full Version : Unwanted guests

BIG KAHUNA
03-26-2018, 04:57 AM
So it would appear our brand new 5TH wheel has been adopted by a variety of visitors namely mice and red squirrels. I have put down the scent bags to no avail so I'm thinking about going more conventional namely traps. Forum thoughts about traps and bait. And don't get me wrong I would rather do ANYTHING besides kill a living thing, but my DW in particular feels violated. And I'm not joking!!!

vampress_me
03-26-2018, 05:05 AM
Just my opinion, and other may have better ones. But for me, traps -yes, bait -no. My reasoning is that any sort of trap will catch the mouse, etc and hold him where he is caught. If you bait a mouse it will typically go back into hiding before dying. Now hopefully that isn’t in your trailer in a place you can’t reach, but we don’t always get that lucky. And a dead mouse stinks, for a long, long, long time in warm weather....don’t ask how we know that one after having a mouse die in the heater vents of a car many years ago...even after the mouse and nest were removed...

Other reason for no bait here is I also have cats that spend time outside and wouldn’t want them getting a baited mouse/ get into the bait by accident.

BIG KAHUNA
03-26-2018, 05:14 AM
Not to get too explicit BUT I'm only going for kill traps at this point. I tried have-a-heart to no avail. They took the bait and ran without triggering the trap due to their light weight, which I was told would be a problem. And getting a cat is NOT in the cards!!!

ncgrl1
03-26-2018, 05:53 AM
I have always heard that dryer sheets would keep pests away. We have always used them, and never had any issues.

Dorrie
03-26-2018, 06:38 AM
For the mice problem, there is the glue traps, not so gross like the traps that snap the critter. I use dryer sheets, had no problem.
For the squirrels, a gun.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Steveo57
03-26-2018, 06:57 AM
Traps to get rid of the pests and then seal up every possible little place they can get into!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

JRTJH
03-26-2018, 07:20 AM
Another point to consider when using "poison bait" is that even if the critter leaves the trailer in search of water and dies outside, for some of them, they then become a part of the food chain for birds, foxes and other small carnivorous animals. The poison that killed them is in their system and is then transferred to the owls, eagles, buzzards, foxes, neighbor's cat or dog...... Even if it isn't "eaten by something" as it decomposes, that poison enters the soil and will eventually end up in the water supply that we all drink.... NO !!! I'm not a "tree hugger" but am concerned with the consequences we get ourselves into, often times, without thinking about what comes next.....

So, poison should be a "last resort". Cage type traps with peanuts and peanut butter, mouse/rat traps (depending on size of the prey) and glue traps are all very effective. Granted a small mouse won't trigger a "big rat trap" but setting both, usually will get either size, depending on what's "scurrying around"......

Hodgy
03-26-2018, 07:24 AM

Critters can be a problem. We have two cats so any mice around are quickly gone. The squirrels are another thing. When our cats were younger they caught a few and the neighbour has two little Apso-Pouddle-Lapso cross dogs that catch and kill the little buggers with glee. Nice to have them around.

Any left and the 177 air rifle gets rid of them.

Carrottop
03-26-2018, 08:15 AM
Bounce sheets and Irish spring soap shaved. They don't like the smell for some reason. We always place glue traps at any point of entry and have only had one intrusion that the glue trap caught. Not sure about your jurisdiction but here in Manitoba with government insurance as the only option they cover any damage to campers from rodents. Up to and including writing off the unit if there is substantial chewing of wiring.

Lenny K
03-26-2018, 09:10 AM
Take your time and close up as many entry points as possible on your trailer to prevent the critters from getting in. By getting creative you can almost seal it up completely. The best cure is prevention.

B-O-B'03
03-26-2018, 11:19 AM
The trouble with glue traps is they are more indiscriminate than other rodent traps. I am on the anti poison wagon and put some glue traps in the garage, the next day I saw I had captured something and when I pulled the trap out it was a pair of wrens :(

+1 on the .177, I have a break action, single shot, with a scope on it and at 1200 FPS, do my best to make squirrels and endangered species around here.

-Brian

Hodgy
03-26-2018, 11:25 AM

1200 FPS, I could only wish. We in the GWN are limited to 495 FPS. Anything higher and you have to register it.

labman
03-26-2018, 12:07 PM
A friend of mine has a tt he keeps in the woods in northern Minnesota. He was having a terrible issue with mice. He found something that he said worked fantastic. I tried it on our 5er and have had no issue with mice to date. it is a product called mouse magic by bonide. I have read reviews that said it doesn't work but, it does for my friend and I. As to the red squirrels, you'll have to kill them. they will chew wires and do a lot of damage. I have the best luck with rat traps and peanut butter and sunflower seeds. (in the shells) I would set mouse traps as well with peanut butter if the trailer is infested with mice at this point. The mouse magic should keep them from coming in if you put it near all the openings once you clear up the problem. I had to kill 8 flying squirrels over the course of 6-8 months that had invaded the attic of my home and finally called a pro to find where they were getting in. He sealed it up and put down plenty of bait to finish the job.....

Bingo 57
03-26-2018, 12:13 PM
I've used the dryer sheets for years & several different units. Along with making sure the unit is "tight" I've never had any issues. Now when DW got her unit & forgot to follow my winterizing routine and ended up with "guests" in her unit you'll never believe who's fault it was....
:cool:

SkiSmuggs
03-26-2018, 03:08 PM
I tried Irish Spring and found mouse droppings all around the half bar I left on the battery cover. Maybe it scarred the crap out of them, but I don't think it works. I've had mixed results with Bounce sheets, but traps do the job every time for mice.
I had a family of red squirrels in a previous trailer and the Have-A-Heart traps on the rear bumper got the adults. The little ones came out looking for food at a campground and I put them in a tree before leaving and they ran after the trailer as we pulled away.

vampress_me
03-26-2018, 03:31 PM
Thanks guys! I now have the picture of someone shooting squirrels IN their camper. I know (hope :)) that isn’t what you all meant, but that was the first thing that popped in my head. Sorry, long day at work -fried my brain.

notanlines
03-27-2018, 01:45 AM
Victor mouse traps for the mice and rat traps with peanut butter for the squirrels. Admittedly we have never had a rodent problem in an RV, but a house at the lake for 22 years makes one a pseudo-expert. I won't crawl up on my soapbox today, but we also prefer to leave the poisons alone. We tried our hav-a-hart trap for ages in our back yard to lower the squirrel population. Too many possums and raccoons showed up. Ever try to get a fat, adult possum out of a medium sized trap? Those rascals are seriously vicious up close.
When my neighbor's son sort of "took over" the chore of lowering our squirrel population, however with MY air gun, I bought a used Gamo Extreme which pushes the pellet nearly 1700 FPS. A very nice pellet rifle indeed, but loud and heavy.

larry337
03-27-2018, 04:14 AM
We live next to a cornfield and we have fought mice in our campers for years. Bounce sheets didnt work. Snap traps with peanut butter worked in the beginning but then they got smart and they could steal the peanut butter right off the Trap without triggering it. That's when I switched to glue traps with a peanut in the middle and that worked. But the best by far if you are plugged into power is electronic rodent repellent. I bought these a couple years ago and have not had a mouse since. I swear by them. There are several out there but these are the ones that I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01F2G951Q?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MarcS
03-27-2018, 04:19 AM
We live next to a cornfield and we have fought mice in our campers for years. Bounce sheets didnt work. Snap traps with peanut butter worked in the beginning but then they got smart and they could steal the peanut butter right off the Trap without triggering it. That's when I switched to glue traps with a peanut in the middle and that worked. But the best by far if you are plugged into power is electronic rodent repellent. I bought these a couple years ago and have not had a mouse since. I swear by them. There are several out there but these are the ones that I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01F2G951Q?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

Sent from my SM-G920V using TapatalkI use something similar and have not had any pests either!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jsmith948
03-27-2018, 04:37 AM
Good info - thanks to all for sharing. We haven't had an issue with mice (touch wood). Probably due to our neighbor having at least a dozen cats. These are/were grandchildren's pets that have been allowed to procreate and are now semi feral.
I would like to know how to keep these darn cats out of our flower beds and out from under the trailer! When I was a kid on the farm a shotgun worked - but today I'd probably be arrested. No mice though - if you don't mind cat scat everywhere!:banghead:

Freeheel4life
03-27-2018, 05:35 PM
So I don't like this video but these traps are what I've used in lift shacks over the summer when I worked in the ski industry.
https://youtu.be/aSk79YcuIRQ
I always used a tall boy can because, well they are around. I also kept water in the bottom of the bucket. Remove drowned critters and repeat. Pretty effective.

There's other versions that have a hinged plank.