PDA

View Full Version : What to look for?

Dragnhose
03-26-2018, 01:19 AM
Eyeing up a 2011 passport 235. New to the travel trailer club but have been a boat owner for years. No offense, but any issues particular to keystone or this specific model? Unit looks great , no soft spots or water damage. Seems like barely used. No wear on the furniture.Opened all compartments and checked wood. All systems ran as they should. Any Input would be helpful.
Also what’s in your gotta have it to go camping kit? Had a pop up b4 this so new to holding tanks and black water removal.
Thanks

Tinner12002
03-26-2018, 02:14 AM
Welcome to the forum to start off with. There is a sticky under this same heading for a PDI check list. It will go through a list of things to look for and inspect when purchasing an RV that could be problematic areas, but not specific to the model your looking at. In my opinion some of the items to inspect closely on a used RV would be, the roof, tires and suspension, soft spots and water damage which you've already looked for, and then the RV systems. On tires, tread isn't as important as the age or DOT date of manufacture, weight rating vs trailer GVWR and tire brand. For suspension you need to check for sloppiness and wear in the shackles and bushings on the ends of the leaf springs and once purchased, definitely inspect wheel bearings. For the roof, you want to check for lack of caulking in areas around roof penetrations, tears or holes in the fabric and cleanliness in general of the roof top. These items will get you started, but first, get the PDI check list I mentioned, download it for some good reading and a comprehensive list of items to check for. I'm sure members will mention other things as well.

ctbruce
03-26-2018, 02:28 AM
Dont go overboard buying stuff at first. Get the essentials: a quality sewer hose 15 ft. minimum, a clear elbow for it and a second waste gate, separate fresh water and black flush hose, some blocks to put under your stabilizers, boards or Lynx blocks for leveling or Anderson Levelers along with a LevelMate Pro, depending on if you are 50 or 30 amp get some drop down plug adapters. This is a pretty good starting list.

Tinner gave good advice on the PDI list. Welcome and good luck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Tinner12002
03-26-2018, 02:41 AM
Don't forget a good 30 or 50 amp surge protector depending on which power cord you have. For good all around protection, don't go cheap on these.

Dragnhose
03-30-2018, 03:07 AM
Welp. Made the jump and now am a proud owner. Thanks for all the info, it helped. Kids already camped in the driveway, gotta love it. I know I will be on here digging for info. Now it’s time to load her up and have some fun

PARAPTOR
03-30-2018, 06:27 AM
Congrats !! Enjoy :dance:

Be Safe and Happy Camping :camping:

travelin texans
03-30-2018, 09:07 AM
Your #1 purchase should be the surge protector/EMS regardless whether plugging in at your home or any campground/park, too many delicate electronics onboard to risk not having one.

XTeacher
03-30-2018, 06:16 PM
Congrats on your new camper! Make sure to use a water pressure regulator when hooking up to water. Water pressure is sometimes too high at campgrounds and can damage the water system in your camper - not pretty.