PDA

View Full Version : Camera pre wire??

Beemer Phil
03-24-2018, 07:33 PM
2018 Passport 2920 BH came “prewired” for a camera. I’ve had trouble getting an answer from the dealer on whether the wiring gets 12v from backup circuit or from the running lights. The trailer is currently not accessible due to snow conditions otherwise I would put a meter on it. I’d like to purchase a camera before the season starts.Any thoughts appreciated. Also any recommendations on camera as it has a Furrion mount?

Hodgy
03-24-2018, 07:48 PM

I want a camera also. What is a Furrion mount?

texas-traveler
03-24-2018, 07:59 PM
tadibrothers.com has a camera mount plate and power adapter to go from furion to other brand camera $29.0

chuckster57
03-25-2018, 01:41 AM
Welcome to the forum!!

As a rule the camera will get its power from either the running lights (common) or directly from the battery (not common). Unless your trailer came with B/U lights, that circuit isn’t used in the 7 way wiring.

Furrion is the most popular system, and having installed many, I can say they work good, and have a nice picture.

Beemer Phil
03-25-2018, 04:11 AM
Hodgy, A lot of the trailers are built with a camera pre wire and Keystone uses a mount for the Furrion camera. From the threads i’ve read actually mounting the camera appears easy.

Beemer Phil
03-25-2018, 04:12 AM
Hodgy, I responded below in the thread. Not used to this site yet

NorskeBob
03-25-2018, 05:06 AM
Our Avalanche came pre-wired for a Furrion camera. I installed the camera, Furrion FOS48TA-BL, and it has power to it all of the time - have not found the power source yet.

chuckster57
03-25-2018, 05:24 AM
Our Avalanche came pre-wired for a Furrion camera. I installed the camera, Furrion FOS48TA-BL, and it has power to it all of the time - have not found the power source yet.

I would be willing to bet it’s in the junction box for the 7 way. That’s where Grand Designs is putting it. There was some reports of poor quality video due to voltage drop. We have been paid by GD to re wire because even the battery disconnect doesn’t turn it off.

DocP
03-25-2018, 05:52 AM
My Cougar 32RLI came with the Furrion mount and pre-wiring. I bought the camera online prior to picking it up. During the PDI, I asked Camping World to put it up, and they quoted me $135. I told them "no thanks", and did it myself in the parking lot. Procedure: unscrew the 4 screws for the cover plate, plug camera into prewire jack, put 4 screws back in. Total time was less than 5 minutes. Good picture.

Hodgy
03-25-2018, 07:07 AM
Hodgy, A lot of the trailers are built with a camera pre wire and Keystone uses a mount for the Furrion camera. From the threads i’ve read actually mounting the camera appears easy.

I doubt that my little 1800 has a pre-wired mount, but I will have a look. It should be obvious, right ?

The poor little thing is sitting in a mound of snow so I will break trail and have a look. Come on Spring !

NorskeBob
03-25-2018, 07:17 AM
I doubt that my little 1800 has a pre-wired mount, but I will have a look. It should be obvious, right ?

The poor little thing is sitting in a mound of snow so I will break trail and have a look. Come on Spring !

If yours is not pre-wired then the bracket (FRCBRKT-BL) will be needed -
comes with Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Manual provides installation instructions. Can be powered from the running,reverse or aux lights.

Our trailer is about 35' long and he truck is 21' long - good reception.

chuckster57
03-25-2018, 07:26 AM
If yours is not pre-wired then the bracket (FRCBRKT-BL) will be needed -
comes with Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Manual provides installation instructions. Can be powered from the running,reverse or aux lights.

Our trailer is about 35' long and he truck is 21' long - good reception.

Odds are his 1800 Doesn't have reverse lights, and as such the 7th conductor (yellow IIRC) in the umbilical cord isn't hooked up to anything. He would have to run a wire from the junction box to the back of the trailer.

Pmedic4
03-25-2018, 08:01 AM
Our new 333MKS came with the Furrion mount, and I want to get the camera system also. After watching several of the youtube videos about the camera system, it's very clear there are two different versions of the the Furrion system. One is the FRC12TA-BL - called a Vision 1, which is the Backup Camera setup, and the other is the FOS48TA-B - called a Vision 2, which is the Observation/Backup Camera system. These reviews point out the FRC12TA-BL sometimes will lose signal if used when driving down the highway, and the FOS48TA-BL is more powerful. It is noted, the FRC12 is commonly the pre-installed model by dealers as it is the less expensive version. I have seen the FRC12 online from Walmart, eBAY, Amazon and others for around $245-260, while the FOS48 is usually in the $360-390 range.

I ordered a FOS48TA-B from Amazon (RVSupplies), through one of their dealers and when it arrived the unit in the box was a FRC12TA-BL. I requested a return and printed off the label(one of the nice features of Amazon). In one thought, I'd like to assume they accidently sent the wrong version, and once the wrong model number makes it's way back home, I'll receive the correct version. However, I'm a little skeptical, as I now no longer see this dealer having a Furrion Camera system of either model number. Currently waiting to reorder.

chuckster57
03-25-2018, 08:32 AM
The only one we will install is the FOS48TA-B

Hodgy
03-25-2018, 08:50 AM

Had a look, the 1800 does not have pre-wire or mount on the rear.

I would like to have a wireless camera that I could use as a hitch monitor for hook-up and then mount on the rear of the trailer while travelling.

I would use the running lights as a power source as I always drive with them on.

chuckster57
03-25-2018, 09:01 AM
That would require 2 different cameras.

Hodgy
03-25-2018, 09:11 AM
That would require 2 different cameras.

Why ?

chuckster57
03-25-2018, 10:00 AM
The furion camera is mounted inside a case. You would have to have another case and power. Then you would have to unscrew the 4 LITTLE screws that hold the camera and unplug it, move it to the other mounting case and secure it to that one. Or buy a second camera and mount..

Hodgy
03-25-2018, 10:56 AM

Thanks, that does require a bit more thinking. I was looking at one of these for $129. It has a weatherproof night vision camera. I would have a permanent mount on the rear of the trailer and move it to the tailgate when required for hook-up. 12 volt plugs at both locations using the running lights for power.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/yada-digital-wireless-backup-camera-with-4-3-in-dash-mount-0352697p.html#srp

Or this one for $199.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/behindsight-flex-mount-backup-camera-5-in-0350183p.html#srp

Will have to do some more thinnin on that Baba Looey !

NorskeBob
03-25-2018, 12:11 PM
Looked at the Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL again for power source:
Forest River - Marker/Clearance lights - on when lights on
Grand Design - Reverse/backup Lights - on in reverse or clearance/marker lights on
Open range - Reverse/backup lights - on when vehicle in reverse
Keystone RV - converter panel - Switch Turned on

Kylemcmahon1
03-25-2018, 12:29 PM
Keystone outback here. Mine is wired to running lights. Back up is worthless. Just go with the observation camera. Works great on my 38 ft tt. With ram 3/4 tin crew cab truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuckster57
03-25-2018, 01:05 PM
Looked at the Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL again for power source:
Forest River - Marker/Clearance lights - on when lights on
Grand Design - Reverse/backup Lights - on in reverse or clearance/marker lights on
Open range - Reverse/backup lights - on when vehicle in reverse
Keystone RV - converter panel - Switch Turned on
We sell Grand Designs, the camera is on all the time. Maybe the Momentum (toy hauler) is diffferent as it has reverse lights over the ramp.

Pmedic4
03-25-2018, 07:37 PM
I posted earlier about problems getting the Furrion Vision 2 camera system, so a little irritated at Amazon.

However, thinking about it, Furrion is really creating a wonderful market for themselves by supplying for free the little plastic mounting bracket and the wiring for hooking up their RV system. Probably costs them less than $2 to make, they send the ktis it to all the RV manufacturers to install, and then when you go to get a system, they already have that little mount in place. So you get a Furrion, right? :bow:

Tinner12002
03-26-2018, 02:51 AM
I have the Furrion on my Raptor from the factory or dealer whoever put it on, but mine is powered all the time, lights or no lights.

Harleydodge
04-09-2018, 01:36 PM
I have the Furrion on my Raptor from the factory or dealer whoever put it on, but mine is powered all the time, lights or no lights.

Any chance you could source the connection for me Tinner?
I recently purchased a Garmin camera and plan to install it as a "blind spot camera" on the back of my 2013 Raptor. I would like to power it from an "always on" source as well, but not sure where to draw from.
I figured I would have to use running light power and run with lights on all the time.

Hodgy
04-09-2018, 01:43 PM

I am going to use running light power for the one I buy. I always have all lights on, you cannot have lights to bright or a horn to loud.

Harleydodge
04-09-2018, 01:46 PM

I am going to use running light power for the one I buy. I always have all lights on, you cannot have lights to bright or a horn to loud.

I completely agree with that statement, it's just that I would rather not have to alter my "automatic" light setting on the truck. I prefer to leave it set in "auto" and not worry about it.
I will if I have to.

Tinner12002
04-09-2018, 02:01 PM
Its in storage right now but there has to be some wires above the ramp door. It was wired from the dealer or factory so I didn't have any input as to what it was wired to. I'll check Tues afternoon with my dealer to see if they know where the wiring is for it.

Harleydodge
04-09-2018, 02:05 PM
Its in storage right now but there has to be some wires above the ramp door. It was wired from the dealer or factory so I didn't have any input as to what it was wired to. I'll check Tues afternoon with my dealer to see if they know where the wiring is for it.

Appreciate that. No rush anyway, Mother Nature is being a fickle B#$%ch and I won't be crawling around the trailer anytime in the near future by the look of the forecast.:D

Tinner12002
04-09-2018, 02:17 PM
About the same way here in Indiana too! Looks like we will start to warm up a bit later this week.

Harleydodge
05-10-2018, 04:17 AM
Appreciate that. No rush anyway, Mother Nature is being a fickle B#$%ch and I won't be crawling around the trailer anytime in the near future by the look of the forecast.:D

Well, the weather finally did smarten up here and I found time to get the camera installed.
As mentioned, I went with a Garmin Camera, as I already had the 7" display model and plan to use it while towing the RV anyway, since I can load custom POI's to it.

Anyway, the install went fairly smoothly. I ended up mounting the camera itself on the license plate holder. I tested the location first as well as up high and liked the low option better. It just looked more "natural"

I also ordered the 50ft extension cable for the camera, and mounted the transmitter up under the pin box up front.
I tied into "always on" 12v in the junction box up under there for the umbilical connection.
I ran the extension cable to the back in a pre-existing wire loom that happened to run right back close to where I needed it to.

I will suction cup the screen to my rear-view mirror while underway.
I have not yet road tested with it yet, but it looks like it will be a worthwhile Mod.:)

Tinner12002
05-10-2018, 04:21 AM
Sounds like that will work...let us know how you like it!

Northofu1
05-31-2018, 05:15 AM
Hi All, Last to pile on?
I have just installed the RVS 5th Wheel Camera package bought from Costco.

https://www.costco.ca/Rear-View---Backup-Camera-System-with-Trailer-Tow-Kit.product.10367294.html

I bought a system from Amazon sent it back within minutes, Junk.
I was impressed with how everything was commercial grade. It is a wired system with a pigtail and a connection from trailer and a connection from bumper. The camera is IP69K which is the latest in weatherproof electronics, that I know of. 7" Monitor that is capable of adding two other cameras and that wiring comes with.
It took my Uncle (retired GMC Mechanic) my brother and I a little under two hours to install, I am not sure if the blackflies slowed or sped up the process. It is wired right to fuse panel, which is handy on my GMC. Only one hole drilled on rocker to run wire along rail to bumper.
Picture is perfect on camera / monitor.
I would recommend this system to anyone.
That is all :)

buvens
05-31-2018, 05:41 AM
Hi All, Last to pile on?
I have just installed the RVS 5th Wheel Camera package bought from Costco.

https://www.costco.ca/Rear-View---Backup-Camera-System-with-Trailer-Tow-Kit.product.10367294.html

I bought a system from Amazon sent it back within minutes, Junk.
I was impressed with how everything was commercial grade. It is a wired system with a pigtail and a connection from trailer and a connection from bumper. The camera is IP69K which is the latest in weatherproof electronics, that I know of. 7" Monitor that is capable of adding two other cameras and that wiring comes with.
It took my Uncle (retired GMC Mechanic) my brother and I a little under two hours to install, I am not sure if the blackflies slowed or sped up the process. It is wired right to fuse panel, which is handy on my GMC. Only one hole drilled on rocker to run wire along rail to bumper.
Picture is perfect on camera / monitor.
I would recommend this system to anyone.
That is all :)

Put the same system on our truck and trailer earlier this year.

Also added a camera on the left mirror of the truck just for the heck of it.
They do make two different monitors. Mine only shows one camera at a time full screen. They also have a monitor that can show up to 4 camera's at a time or I think they have a multiplexer to do the same with this monitor.
It is a nice system and we use it all the time.