PDA

View Full Version : Bike Rack on Rear Bumper?

Old Bill
03-24-2018, 06:00 AM
I have a 2017 Cougar Xlite 25RES Fifth Wheel that has a spare tire mounted on the rear bumper. If the bumper is strong enough to handle the tire, would it be strong enough to handle a bike rack for two bikes? The bumper itself seems pretty solid, but I'm more concerned about the welded joint where the bumper is attached to the trailer.

Anyone have a rack on their bumper... or any insight from a Keystone rep?

ctbruce
03-24-2018, 06:07 AM
Remember the rack will have a longer arm from the fulcrum point and more weight cantilevered out on the end. The forces exerted by 2 bikes will greater than the forces of the tire, before it goes bouncing down the road at the end of your trailer. I wouldn't do it, but that's me. YMMV.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

rhagfo
03-24-2018, 06:15 AM
Much safer for bikes to have a pin box receiver fabricated and carry them over the bed of the TV.

JRTJH
03-24-2018, 07:07 AM
The answer you'll get from most "trailer draggers" is: Don't do it.

The "sewer hose storage bumper" is not strong enough to withstand the stresses caused by bikes bouncing and levering (twisting forces) caused by the bouncing. There just isn't enough "steel" to weld the bumper to the frame extensions and make it strong enough to carry that kind of load. It (the bumper) can be reinforced to support the load, but usually it's cheaper to install a 2" receiver under the bumper that can be used for other things as well as the bike rack.

Here are a couple of pictures of why you shouldn't and a couple of alternatives:

xrated
03-24-2018, 08:10 AM
Another thing to think about and to check first is that many, many of the bicycle carrier manufacturers clearly state that the carrier is not warrantied for use on the back of a travel trailer and sometimes they will state further that they aren't approved for the back of a motorcoach. Just something to think about before you make any plans.

NorskeBob
03-24-2018, 08:24 AM
Won't use one on mine - put a front hitch on my truck and carry 2 bikes.
On my last RV I installed a Curt Manufacturing Cur13703 Adjustable RV Hitch. I had a good mounting spot to the trailer frame. Installed it after the warranty expired.

TLB
03-24-2018, 08:27 AM
Anyone have a rack on their bumper...
No.
Welds look a little weak.

Pick_PSD
03-24-2018, 01:53 PM
I had a bike rack on my bumper-pull camper. The bumper held the rack OK but the trailer bounced enough to make one of the bikes lose a wheel going down the road (I know I tightened it before we left). When we switched to a fifth-wheel toyhauler, I had hoped to put them in the garage but there's not enough room with the golf cart and other stuff we carry. So I made a very simple board to carry them in them bed (long bed). They surprisingly take up very little space, just the width of the handlebars...

Old Bill
03-25-2018, 02:09 PM
Thanks to everyone who responded to my question... and thanks for taking the time to do so. Based on the responses and other sites I've visited on this subject, I will definitely NOT be putting a bike rack on my bumper. Will now check the cost of having a hitch receiver welded to the FW frame after I have the specs on the rack I'll need.

Great forum!!!!!

PopBeavers
03-27-2018, 03:48 PM
I always suggest that you cable lock the frame and both wheels of all bikes to the frame. That way if it all separates from the frame you will be dragging it along instead of dropping it in front of the guy following you.

Pick_PSD
03-28-2018, 11:59 AM
I forgot about Mount-N-Lock. Supposedly these will provide additional support for your rear bumper to carry additional weight. As I mentioned earlier, I never had any trouble (with the bumper itself) carrying a bike rack but did investigate and found these. Not sure of their effectiveness but appears to be another option.

https://mount-n-lock.com/mnl-cargo-products/featured/safetystruts-support-brackets-prevent-bumper-failure

https://mount-n-lock.com/components/com_mijoshop/opencart/image/cache/catalog/4S_SS/4S_SS_14-1000x750.jpg