PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Frame

Ed&Candy
03-23-2018, 03:08 PM
We have a 2017 Raptor 355TS that we bought new and only after a couple of trips and about 3000 miles we found a crack in gel coat near the bedroom slide. It’s been at the dealer for months and Keystone just approved the repairs. The dealer found several cracks in the frame said it would have to be welded. This is a 90K 5th wheel you would think Keystone would want to repair ASAP. Welding it does not sound like a good repair for new RV. I feel they should have to replace it or give me full credit towards a new one. Yep I know what they will say but that’s how I feel.

Anyone else have frame issues?

kfxgreenie
03-23-2018, 03:20 PM
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31992&highlight=fuzion+crack

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23092&highlight=fuzion+crack

Here's a few.

dcg9381
03-27-2018, 12:28 PM
PM me if a repair on this is unacceptable. The reality is that they likely will get a chance to repair it, but you may be looking at a "loss of value" claim.

IMHO, a welded (and plated) frame CAN be stronger than a new one, absolutely... And unfortunately, this is one of those repairs that is well documented. Fixes seem to work well.

dcg9381
03-27-2018, 12:30 PM
PM me if a repair on this is unacceptable. The reality is that they likely will get a chance to repair it, but you may be looking at a "loss of value" claim.

IMHO, a welded (and plated) frame CAN be stronger than a new one, absolutely... And unfortunately, this is one of those repairs that is well documented. Fixes seem to work well.

Tinner12002
03-27-2018, 12:54 PM

I would also agree, fixes if done right are usually better than factory. I wouldn't think that any fixes would have any probability of causing a loss of value in the RV, at least I wouldn't be afraid of it.
They changed the frame design on the 18s, went from a stacked frame design to a standard full length I-beam, I wonder if it was to fix the issues they were having with the frames. I know when I was at the factory and looking at the frames, I could see where I would have put a bunch more steel bracing in them.

brad2388
03-27-2018, 05:59 PM
I would also agree, fixes if done right are usually better than factory. I wouldn't think that any fixes would have any probability of causing a loss of value in the RV, at least I wouldn't be afraid of it.
They changed the frame design on the 18s, went from a stacked frame design to a standard full length I-beam, I wonder if it was to fix the issues they were having with the frames. I know when I was at the factory and looking at the frames, I could see where I would have put a bunch more steel bracing in them.

Is this on the toyhaulers or all keyston line that they changed the frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tinner12002
03-28-2018, 01:51 AM
Is this on the toyhaulers or all keyston line that they changed the frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't comment on that because I'm not sure, I was looking at their toy haulers and asked why the sliding tray wasn't in the 18 Raptors but it was in the 17s and thats when he told me that they had changed from the stacked frame design to the full length I-beam and there wasn't as much room for the tray so they left it out of the 18s.

Ed&Candy
03-28-2018, 03:24 PM
So Keystone sent Lippert out to the dealer to weld all the cracks, they said there were several that they could not get to so the cap was removed and they removed the tray and partition in the storage compartment. They welded them up and then told the dealer to remove a section of the outside from the slide to the cap. They think there are more cracks behind the wall. This makes me even more concerned about how long it will last.
Not very happy about this Keystone has lost me a customer going forward.

chuckster57
03-28-2018, 07:23 PM
Since Lippert had to do the welding on a Lippert frame, I wish you all the luck going forward finding another brand that doesn’t use a Lippert frame.

WNY Bullet
03-28-2018, 07:23 PM
Not very happy about this Keystone has lost me a customer going forward.

You have to remember that Keystone did not make the frame, Lippert did.

Tinner12002
03-29-2018, 01:58 AM
You have to remember that Keystone did not make the frame, Lippert did.

That's true but the RV manufacturers provides Lippert with specs on how to build the frames for each RV they design. As Chuckster mentioned, Lippert makes nearly 99.99% of the frames for most all the RVs made. I've heard of others brands/models having frame issues but I think that's the first Raptor I've heard about on a forum having issues. At least that I recall.
Hopefully they will get the frame fixed so the OP can have worry free camping for the remainder of their ownership.

SummitPond
03-29-2018, 02:42 AM
... Lippert makes nearly 99.99% of the frames for most all the RVs made. ...

Maybe memory fails me, but I thought I read/heard that Keystone is using BAL frames on the Premier line (and maybe others) now.

chuckster57
03-29-2018, 03:30 AM
I have seen BAL frames on some brands of TT but can’t say I’ve seen a BAL fifth wheel frame.

JRTJH
03-29-2018, 06:08 AM
BAL (actually Norco Industries) did start making ultralight travel trailer frames several years ago. I also remember seeing that Premier was using a BAL ultralight frame on some (maybe all) of their models. I haven't seen any Keystone fifth wheels with a BAL frame, although BAL does produce both travel trailer and fifth wheel frames for the industry.

Looking at their website, the way they describe their NXG Frame, it sounds like it's an "upgrade to the "current industry-wide frame" both in material and in construction technique. http://norcoind.com/bal/products/oem/nxg/index.shtml

travelin texans
03-29-2018, 08:14 AM
BAL (actually Norco Industries) did start making ultralight travel trailer frames several years ago. I also remember seeing that Premier was using a BAL ultralight frame on some (maybe all) of their models. I haven't seen any Keystone fifth wheels with a BAL frame, although BAL does produce both travel trailer and fifth wheel frames for the industry.

Looking at their website, the way they describe their NXG Frame, it sounds like it's an "upgrade to the "current industry-wide frame" both in material and in construction technique. http://norcoind.com/bal/products/oem/nxg/index.shtml

The problem with the rv industry is if it cost 10 cents more, even if the consumer would pay 5-10 times the cost, for any upgrade/change it probably won't get done. The bottom line is where it matters.

JRTJH
03-29-2018, 09:08 AM
The problem with the rv industry is if it cost 10 cents more, even if the consumer would pay 5-10 times the cost, for any upgrade/change it probably won't get done. The bottom line is where it matters.

Yup, We see "cost reduction" in everything these days. On RV's, it's apparent in almost every system and sub-system. From the way they attach coroplast to the bottom of the trailer to the thickness of the TPO membrane used on the roof. Almost everything, from tires, dish-washers (when installed), toilet seats, anti-siphon valves and frames. They all "fall victim" to the bean counter's mandate to save a "one more penny" on every unit produced.

Carrottop
03-29-2018, 09:46 AM
My 2017 Passport 217EXP is on a BAL frame. Can't speak to the heavier units or 5'ers

Tinner12002
03-29-2018, 11:25 AM
Maybe memory fails me, but I thought I read/heard that Keystone is using BAL frames on the Premier line (and maybe others) now.

Its good someone else is building them but unfortunately, its still a small percentage.

Ed&Candy
05-08-2018, 02:21 PM
Well after Lippert welded the frame and tearing into the side wall they said it’s all fixed. Well guess what, they pulled it out of the shop and they heated a popping sound. Yep that’s correct the frame broke again at the same place they had already welded it. So it camping season again and no camper. We continue to make our payments for what? We already rented a camper for one trip this year and had to cancel our beach trip in June. I called Keystone and am waiting on them to call me back with what they are going to do to make this right.

Really feeling discouraged.
Ed