PDA

View Full Version : Two receiver hitches?

busterbrown
03-22-2018, 06:48 PM
I am looking at purchasing and installing a second rear receiver hitch below my RAMs OEM class V. The Curt I'm looking at has a 2"x2" receiver opening vs the OEM's 2.5"x2.5" opening. The reason is three fold.

First, it would clean up much of the 'slop' from the reducer sleeve that exists as I use a Hensley Arrow for sway elimination and weight distribution. The HA uses a custom 2" hitch bar (their version of a shank). Hensley does not have a 2.5" variety. That sleeve really gets beat up.

Additionally, the 8 inch drop hitch bar I need now for the OEM receiver position would be replaced with a 4 inch drop hitch bar, providing better approach angles for the hitch box.

Another advantage would be to have the ability to use the upper OEM 2.5" receiver to accept a bike rack or hitch carrier simultaneously while towing. We have 5 bikes that we take now on most trips and only trust 2 on the back of the trailers receiver hitch. It's not the trailers receiver hitch I'm worried about; it's the bike rack itself. None are constructed well enough for long term use on a rear of a 35 foot trailer. The one we've been using for 2 seasons is working but it's showing it's age.

So, I'm looking for opinions and experiences from members who have installed a second rear receiver hitch and how it worked out for them. Or if you think of disqualifiers, would like to know.

Thanks

busterbrown
03-22-2018, 06:53 PM
This is how it would look after installation:

chuckster57
03-22-2018, 07:12 PM
My question would be mounting the lower reciever. Would it have its own set of bolts? Would it overlap the factory reciever and use longer bolts?

Just asking because I really have no idea.

busterbrown
03-22-2018, 07:14 PM
All hardware is included. Here's the hitch:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Curt/C15409.html

chuckster57
03-22-2018, 07:20 PM
Ok. But when you hold the lower receiver up in place, where do the mounting plates sit in relation to the existing one? Is this receiver specifically made to mount IN ADDITION to the factory receiver?

busterbrown
03-22-2018, 07:30 PM
Ok. But when you hold the lower receiver up in place, where do the mounting plates sit in relation to the existing one?
From the looks of the video, directly on the frame. There are existing holes in the frame as it's a bolt on application.

Is this receiver specifically made to mount IN ADDITION to the factory receiver?
Yes, it's an add-on hitch (must have existing OEM class V)

MarcS
03-23-2018, 12:25 AM
We not see if Ram has a 2" to replace 2.5" hitch?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Tinner12002
03-23-2018, 02:09 AM
Can't help on that one as I don't recall ever seeing a pickup with 2 receiver hitches.

SummitPond
03-23-2018, 05:22 AM
... So, I'm looking for opinions and experiences from members who have installed a second rear receiver hitch and how it worked out for them. Or if you think of disqualifiers, would like to know.

Thanks

I can't speak to a second rear hitch, but we put a front receiver on our truck (at the time, ~$177 delivered). We use it to push the trailer into a tight spot (I'm not very good at backing). Don't know if this arrangement would work for you as you have concerns about slop in the existing hitch receiver.

busterbrown
03-23-2018, 05:40 AM
We not see if Ram has a 2" to replace 2.5" hitch?

They do but I would only take advantage of the loose reducer sleeve. The other "take-aways" wouldn't happen.

MarcS
03-23-2018, 05:44 AM
They do but I would only take advantage of the loose reducer sleeve. The other "take-aways" wouldn't happen.Would you be able to put a bike rack in the upper and still be able to put your Hensley on the lower, without an extension, to clear bike rack?

busterbrown
03-23-2018, 05:44 AM
I can't speak to a second rear hitch, but we put a front receiver on our truck (at the time, ~$177 delivered). We use it to push the trailer into a tight spot (I'm not very good at backing). Don't know if this arrangement would work for you as you have concerns about slop in the existing hitch receiver.

This is something I would never use as my trailer's TW is too heavy and I would never use the front hitch to rack anything. The slop in the reducer sleeve is my main concern. Thanks though.

chuckster57
03-23-2018, 05:49 AM
Since it is an additional reciever, as long as it’s rated for the weights, I don’t see a reason not to add it.

busterbrown
03-23-2018, 05:51 AM
Would you be able to put a bike rack in the upper and still be able to put your Hensley on, without an extension, to clear bike rack?

The hitch bar is long and moves the truck's bumper farther away from the Hensley hitch box, much farther than a traditional WDH. Unlike a traditional WDH, the main hitch box stays coupled to the trailer. I'd have plenty of room for a 2-bike rack.

busterbrown
03-23-2018, 05:56 AM
Since it is an additional reciever, as long as it’s rated for the weights, I don’t see a reason not to add it.

Yeah, me too. Only thing I can think of is giving up 80 lbs of payload. It's rated for 2550 lbs of TW and 17,000 lbs of "pull weight".

ctbruce
03-23-2018, 05:59 AM
Seems like a novel approach to the problem/issue you have. As long as it's rated for the weight you need, I see no problem. Be sure to keep us posted as you go. Sure sounds interesting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

sourdough
03-23-2018, 06:59 AM
I've never had, or seen, anything like that so.....here's my thinking;

If the payload of the truck can take the additional weight of the hitch and bikes, the 2nd hitch mounts in such a way that it doesn't weaken the frame or existing hitch or anything else and you have enough room to put all those bicycles, I guess I'd try it to see how it worked.:)

You said there's plenty of room in front of the Hensley so that probably isn't an issue. If you do it let us know.....then send us a pic. I think it would be interesting to see all those bicycles hanging from those "appendages". I know it was interesting to me, and obviously to others, when I hung 4 off the back of my 4runner. :eek:

JRTJH
03-23-2018, 07:22 AM
I'm just thinking out loud here, so if I'm not understanding the "intended result" properly, please explain further.....

It seems like the intent is to add a second receiver under the rear to reduce the size of the 2.5" to 2" (for the Hensley) and then to use the OEM receiver with a reducer to insert a bike rack (above the Hensley).

Why not find/fabricate a "dual receiver adapter" with a 2.5" stinger and two 2" receivers on the other end? Sort of like this picture, but sized to fit the existing OEM receiver ???

It could be inserted in the OEM receiver with the extra part on top or bottom, depending on need and accept both the Hensley and the bike rack without permanently installing a new receiver which would reduce clearance "permanently" even when the truck is not being used for towing.

busterbrown
03-23-2018, 08:04 AM
I'm just thinking out loud here, so if I'm not understanding the "intended result" properly, please explain further.....

It seems like the intent is to add a second receiver under the rear to reduce the size of the 2.5" to 2" (for the Hensley) and then to use the OEM receiver with a reducer to insert a bike rack (above the Hensley).

Why not find/fabricate a "dual receiver adapter" with a 2.5" stinger and two 2" receivers on the other end? Sort of like this picture, but sized to fit the existing OEM receiver ???

It could be inserted in the OEM receiver with the extra part on top or bottom, depending on need and accept both the Hensley and the bike rack without permanently installing a new receiver which would reduce clearance "permanently" even when the truck is not being used for towing.

I've already looked extensively. No such beast exists. Dual receiver adapters are readily available but I have yet to find one that is rated up to 1000 lbs of TW and they don't solve the problem of receiver size reduction. A sleeve is still required.

I thought I'd get lucky with a GenY product as they specialize in drop down hitches and shanks. But I was wrong. Well built hitch adapters but they come with a hefty price tag.

For a little more than $200, the second receiver hitch is probably my best option. As far as clearance under the hitch, I'd still have around 20 inches of distance between the ground and top of the receiver. This won't be a concern.

Remember, I use a 8 inch drop on the hitch bar just to get my receiver close to level with the Hensley box. The added length of this "drop" (along with slop in the reducer sleeve) can amplify movement. Just think of the principles of lever arms and pivots. With my previous TV, I used a 4 inch drop hitch bar mated to a 2"x2" receiver hitch. No slop, no ectopic motion.

Ken / Claudia
03-23-2018, 08:06 AM
My only question was same as post #13, and you answered that. Sounds like a fix to a problem you have, go for it. I have seen many using what John posted and so far not seen anything like your wanting to do. That does not make your project invalid, maybe it's a more newer option.

busterbrown
03-23-2018, 08:14 AM
My only question was same as post #13, and you answered that. Sounds like a fix to a problem you have, go for it. I have seen many using what John posted and so far not seen anything like your wanting to do. That does not make your project invalid, maybe it's a more newer option.

I've seen several pickup trucks with 2 receiver hitches in my travels. Not many but a few. None were towing a trailer though. I always wondered why 2? Maybe it was their solution for receiver slop too. :D In any case, I will probably go forward with it and report back.

MarcS
03-23-2018, 08:16 AM
Have you tried different sleeves?

busterbrown
03-23-2018, 08:26 AM
Have you tried different sleeves?

Yep, 3 all from different manufacturers. 1 came with the truck. They seem to get beat up pretty badly after a long trip. The friction that occurs on the sleeve from the movement in the receiver takes off the powder coating exposing bare metal. In time, I'm sure it'll takes its toll on the OEM hitch.

I think the design and workings of the Hensley hitch are pretty severe on the hitch itself as the lateral forces of sway are all focused on that little sleeve.

travelin texans
03-23-2018, 09:38 AM
You will still have the slop with the bicycles, but they make a pin that has a nut inside the hitch that tightens it up & also locks, not sure if they have it in the 2.5", might try one with the bikes.

busterbrown
03-30-2018, 09:15 PM
I was able to install the second Curt Hitch below the OEM receiver hitch. Fit was perfect. What I didn't expect was the new hitch is quite a beast. It makes the OEM class V hitch look like it belongs on an a 1/2 ton pickup or SUV. Curt makes a nice product as the welds are spot on and the thickness of the steel is substantial more than what FCA puts on from the factory.

After installation, the lowest part of the hitch is 18 inches above the ground and only 1 inch below the lowest part of the tailpipe. So, i'm not giving up much ground clearance. This is not a "hidden hitch" by any means. But I own a truck, not a sport class SUV.

I can't wait to get saddled up for our first camping trip next month. I also "invested" in a AMP Research Bed Step model: 75306-01A (https://www.amazon.com/AMP-Research-75306-01A-Bedstep/dp/B0041FXOIA). Installed it along with the hitch. Boy, don't know why I waited so long. Another quality product. Now the DW can use her 5'2" frame to load/unload the firewood. Yippie. I do it all for her, right. :smitten::whistling:

chuckster57
03-31-2018, 02:29 AM
Looks good. Let us know how it does when hooked up to the trailer.

TandE
03-31-2018, 06:11 AM
I've seen several pickup trucks with 2 receiver hitches in my travels. Not many but a few. None were towing a trailer though. I always wondered why 2? Maybe it was their solution for receiver slop too. :D In any case, I will probably go forward with it and report back.

Most of those dual receiver hitches are designed for truck campers. These have provisions to add rear camper tie downs and the dual receivers is for their extensions that go up to 60” in length so they can still tow behind their truck with camper installed.

busterbrown
03-31-2018, 06:32 AM
Most of those dual receiver hitches are designed for truck campers. These have provisions to add rear camper tie downs and the dual receivers is for their extensions that go up to 60” in length so they can still tow behind their truck with camper installed.

Makes sense. My application will never see a truck camper though. The 2nd hitch should help remove the 'slop' from the reducer sleeve and free up the OEM hitch for a bike rack. I inserted my hitch bar in the Curt receiver and already noticed a big reduction in movement. Can't wait to load up and try it.