PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate hitting jack motor

jrlola
03-22-2018, 03:23 PM
Has anyone had the problem of their tailgate hitting the motor cover of the electric jack? We realized this after we brought it home. We always take our 2 labs with and on longer trips, it will be impossible to get them out to do their duties. Is there a way to possibly turn the motor cover or do they just have to hold it.

Tbos
03-22-2018, 03:47 PM
Tongue jacks are usually mounted with 3 bolts in a triangular mount. Hook the trailer up to the truck to hold the weight and unbolt jack and rotate it 1/3 and see it that clears it.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

Steveo57
03-22-2018, 03:49 PM
Can you rotate the jack to give you more clearance?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Wxman
03-22-2018, 04:55 PM
I had the same problem. Rotating 1/3 on the mounting holes would not solve. On my jack I was able to unbolt the motor only, two bolts under some rubber plugs, and rotate the motor only 90 degrees. This gave me clearance. There were already holes in the jack post at the 90 degree point but I did have to tap threads into them.
Good luck

mfifield01
03-23-2018, 11:47 AM
I rotated mine 90 degrees by drilling new holes in the jack mounting plate.

AbHDToyHauler
03-23-2018, 11:53 AM
Had same problem on my low hauler motorcycle trailer with Elec. Jack motor. Except DW threw open tailgate and let her drop and whammo took a piece out of bezel on my 2005 Silverado. Oh well that truck is long gone. LOL I rotated jack

TheGriz
03-23-2018, 05:43 PM
Has anyone had the problem of their tailgate hitting the motor cover of the electric jack? We realized this after we brought it home. We always take our 2 labs with and on longer trips, it will be impossible to get them out to do their duties. Is there a way to possibly turn the motor cover or do they just have to hold it.

Had exact same issue. And with my German Shepherd I understand your concern. Wilco gave me the solution, ROTATE THE HEAD ONLY 90 DEGREES, and it worked perfectly!!! See following thread and at post #20 you will see pics of the solution.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=262168#post262168

Good luck!!!

Regards,
Mike

Kansas Gary
03-24-2018, 04:12 PM

Are you using just the normal style of slide in receiver into your hitch or a equalizer style hitch? If it’s just the regular slide in they make them longer shank so your tailgate will drop down with the trailer hooked up. Have to get those at a trailer store like trailer.com

TheGriz
03-24-2018, 05:36 PM
Are you using just the normal style of slide in receiver into your hitch or a equalizer style hitch? If it’s just the regular slide in they make them longer shank so your tailgate will drop down with the trailer hooked up. Have to get those at a trailer store like trailer.com

Careful. A longer shank will lower the weight ratings on the hitch, and it's not inconsequential.

Mike

Voyager
03-24-2018, 05:45 PM
I had the same problem. Rotating 1/3 on the mounting holes would not solve. On my jack I was able to unbolt the motor only, two bolts under some rubber plugs, and rotate the motor only 90 degrees. This gave me clearance. There were already holes in the jack post at the 90 degree point but I did have to tap threads into them.
Good luck

I rotated the whole jack but had to drill new holes in jack flange, works great but wish I had tried just rotating motor, I think it would have been easier.