PDA

View Full Version : Toilet Paper Roll

moodman
03-20-2018, 11:01 AM
I just bought a 2018 362RD 5er, and in the kit of materials that came with it, there was a standard toilet paper bracket and roller like you would buy anywhere.

So, it was not installed in the front bathroom, and I am wondering what I am supposed to screw it into? I don't know where the studs are exactly, and from what I understand, they are made of metal anyway, so I don't think a regular stud finder would work, and I don' t have x-ray vision:ermm:

How then am I supposed to screw into the wall to mount this holder? How can I determine where the studs are?

notanlines
03-20-2018, 11:56 AM
The cheap magnetic stud finder will work on the metal studs. $3.00 most all hdwe places.

chuckster57
03-20-2018, 12:11 PM
If you mount it horizontally then only one side will be in the stud. DW went to Walmart and bought a plastic tube that holds a few rolls stacked. Just set the roll being used on the edge of the sink. No worries of pulling the holder out of the wall. FWIW pretty much every RV maker doesn’t mount the TP holder.

Frank G
03-20-2018, 01:49 PM
The cheap magnetic stud finder will work on the metal studs. $3.00 most all hdwe places.

Interior walls are wood studded, exterior walls can be wood or aluminum. any stud finder other than magnetic will work.

Steveo57
03-20-2018, 01:51 PM
I used these to put things on the walls. Work really well on the thin walls and hollow doors. They are metal not plastic.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/E-Z-Ancor-1-in-Hollow-Door-and-Drywall-Anchors-25-Pack-25225/202055965?MERCH=REC-_-irg_aic-2-_-100391938-_-202055965-_-N

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

notanlines
03-20-2018, 02:33 PM
I think it's going in the front bathroom. The only available space is the exterior wall. Or screw it to the door face.....

FlyingAroundRV
03-20-2018, 03:48 PM
For hollow walls, I prefer these types of anchors. Warning! They are permanent.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-4-Pack-Mini-Drywall-Anchors/3415978

lesleyinky
03-20-2018, 04:22 PM
We used this one that comes with 3M backing and it’s worked like a charm! No holes - no guessing and cheap enough!!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180321/0e4de28c0743dd2406f076f0027c9601.jpg
And yes it is bugging me in this photo that the roll needs changed! [emoji23]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LRH18BU/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1521591676&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=3m%2Btoilet%2Bpaper%2Bholder&dpPl=1&dpID=51fciBPpdhL&ref=plSrch&th=1&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

foldbak
03-20-2018, 04:51 PM
It wouldn't be so bad but they didn't even give me enough screws....

mikz86ta
03-20-2018, 05:13 PM
Is would NOT screw it in for a couple reasons.
As I think chuckster57 put out there, you will only hit 1 stud.....and if it's in a convenient location of the seated position, your lucky.
Another thing is that the wiring behind walls is not as held in place and finished off as a house. Lose dropped at best. Chances of screwing into a wire or even mildly chafing the insulation of the wire are good.

Lesleyinky had a great product shown. I put a couple command hooks (general purpose type / not outdoor) in our shower for wash cloth to hang on and 1 year later they are holding strong. And removable if we sell it.

What we did for our front bath (we had the room for it) was buy a metal floor standing TP holder. Even stores 3 extra rolls inside its base.
Our rear bath I did screw in a conventional TP holder....but into the side of the rear baths' vanity.

travelin texans
03-20-2018, 05:27 PM
For hollow walls, I prefer these types of anchors. Warning! They are permanent.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-4-Pack-Mini-Drywall-Anchors/3415978

These are designed for wall thicknesses of 3/8 - 1/2" thick so would difficult for them to tighten up on 1/8" paneling which is what most rvs have. The other anchors listed above actually work better & can be removed, still leaves hole in the wall. I wouldn't think hitting a stud would be necessary for toilet paper unless you're using it as a grab bar as well.
Most everything mounted on our walls are attached with 3M Command strips & all has stayed.
Fortunately for you they didn't mount it, you can put it convenient for you. My last 5er they mounted it & you had to be a contortionist to reach it, had to move it leaving holes in the wall, but luckily the trash can put beside the toilet covered them.

Bolo4u
03-20-2018, 06:31 PM
I got one of these. Most Target or Walmart stores should have them. It hangs over the cabinet door below the sink and works great.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180321/e1ca2544be33351ef11804114a54ff61.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tinner12002
03-21-2018, 02:32 AM
Ours came from the factory the same way, in a drawer. Same as chuckster57 did, we purchased a couple stand up paper holders for each bathroom. Factory paper holders still in a drawer!

moodman
03-21-2018, 02:57 AM
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks to all for the suggestions. A-PLUS!

jsmith948
03-21-2018, 04:23 AM
Glue a 1/2 or 3/4 by 2" oak or poplar (we prefer the look of oak) board that has been cut to fit between the stiles on the inside of the vanity door. Attach the TP holder to the inside of the door. Easy to reach - out of sight:)

limit4
03-21-2018, 07:10 AM
My wife said use command strips. Ours has worked for 3 years.

MarcS
03-21-2018, 07:17 AM
I use Command strips for everything I can. Whether at home or in the camper. I have my fishing rod holder held to the wall in the camper with command strips.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Bisjoe
03-21-2018, 08:49 AM
I just mounted ours on the wooden cabinet next to the toilet. A very large person might bump their knee on it, but it works for my wife and I, with no expected guests other than maybe a small grandkid or two (one still in diapers).

Dorrie
03-22-2018, 06:47 AM
I just bought a 2018 362RD 5er, and in the kit of materials that came with it, there was a standard toilet paper bracket and roller like you would buy anywhere.

So, it was not installed in the front bathroom, and I am wondering what I am supposed to screw it into? I don't know where the studs are exactly, and from what I understand, they are made of metal anyway, so I don't think a regular stud finder would work, and I don' t have x-ray vision:ermm:

How then am I supposed to screw into the wall to mount this holder? How can I determine where the studs are?Well we just sit the roll on the sink counter. Did not want holes anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

vampress_me
03-22-2018, 09:23 AM
I just bought one similar to this at Wally world. It sits off to the side of the shower. And if it gets in the way for some reason, it's easy to move. When we pack up to move, it goes under our bed.

mikz86ta
03-22-2018, 11:08 AM
What we got. Brushed nickel matches some of the other OEM handles. And it's movable.
The pic frames on the wall are double sided tape at well....no permanent holes.

Wxman
03-22-2018, 02:33 PM
Do the command strips come off the RV paneling/walls like they are magically supposed to?? I have been debating between the command strips and some small 19ga nails for a couple of items.

FlyingAroundRV
03-22-2018, 02:39 PM
Do the command strips come off the RV paneling/walls like they are magically supposed to?? I have been debating between the command strips and some small 19ga nails for a couple of items.
Yes, the command strips come off cleanly if you take them off as they're intended. They stick like sh*t to bunny fur and will damage the surface if you take them off the wrong way. Ask my wife how she knows this...

Wxman
03-22-2018, 03:00 PM
Yes, the command strips come off cleanly if you take them off as they're intended. They stick like sh*t to bunny fur and will damage the surface if you take them off the wrong way. Ask my wife how she knows this...
Thumbs up! I was a little concerned the walls were a little too 'paper like' for them to work well/come off cleanly. Limited experience with the command strips, and the RV for that matter.

mikz86ta
03-22-2018, 03:08 PM
Command strips have a tab that stays on hanging downward. When you remove, pull downward on that tab....99% of the time they come off cleanly. If you pull adhesives outward to you, that's when you risk damage to drywall, paint, wall paper.

FlyingAroundRV
03-22-2018, 09:52 PM
Also, clean the wall where you want to put the strips, then apply them in position. Wait 24 hours before putting any weight on them. If you're mounting something weighty like a metal toilet roll holder, support it with some masking tape. It takes a while for the command strip adhesive to fully grip. If you rush it, they'll just fall off...
Ask me how I know...:rtfm:

kfxgreenie
03-23-2018, 05:30 AM
Odd duck here, but I mounted mine on the inside of the cabinet door for the sink. Out of sight out of mind and one less thing bouncing around going down the road. If I sell the trailer and the next owner doesn't like it, no visible holes.

travelin texans
03-23-2018, 07:54 AM
Who'd of ever thought you could do 3 pages of discussion on where to put the doody paper??

vampress_me
03-23-2018, 10:08 AM
Who'd of ever thought you could do 3 pages of discussion on where to put the doody paper??

Thank you for the laugh today. I could use one! :lol:

ctbruce
03-23-2018, 01:26 PM
You use your toilet? Doesn't that decrease it's value? Does anyone make a toilet bowl liner for RV's?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

AbHDToyHauler
03-23-2018, 01:44 PM
Hmmm What I don't get is if they are smart enough to install a toilet as you kind of want one in your "bathroom" then why the heck don't they put the darn toilet paper holder on then???? When you buy a house they don't leave the tp holder off so you can put it where you want???? I'm as usual , baffled by this!

Pmedic4
03-23-2018, 01:45 PM
You use your toilet? Doesn't that decrease it's value? Does anyone make a toilet bowl liner for RV's?

Sadly, the value of yours, and all RVs decrease faster than you can dump your black tank.

:hide:

fourfourto
03-23-2018, 01:49 PM
:popcorn: just put it I good spot, screw into wall or use 3M tape(the grey good stuff).
I wouldn't worry about selling as new owner probably uses TP.:facepalm:

Bolo4u
03-23-2018, 05:40 PM

Can you imagine the posts if we decided to debate which is better, ST or LT rated TP, and the pressure and speed at which it's pulled from the roll???!!! 🤣🤣

chuckster57
03-23-2018, 05:51 PM
Depends on how many ply.

Bolo4u
03-23-2018, 06:11 PM
Depends on how many ply.

And the debate has begun...

vampress_me
03-23-2018, 06:24 PM
Well, I do know that in too many women’s restrooms the brake controller is set a little too high on the rolls, and there are WAY too few plies to overcome the braking (breaking?) force in a timely manner. :whistling:

chuckster57
03-23-2018, 06:47 PM
Well, I do know that in too many women’s restrooms the brake controller is set a little too high on the rolls, and there are WAY too few plies to overcome the braking (breaking?) force in a timely manner. :whistling:

That only begs the question: is the paper coming off in forward (over) or reverse (under)

vampress_me
03-23-2018, 06:55 PM
That only begs the question: is the paper coming off in forward (over) or reverse (under)

Hmm....50/50. But the best is in forward, of course! :)

Can you imagine the poor newbies coming on here for the first time - and wondering what in the heck kind of forum they just signed up for?!?! :eek:

chuckster57
03-23-2018, 07:02 PM
If it’s a newer bathroom, I would think it would would have forward self adjusting brakes.

Bolo4u
03-23-2018, 07:28 PM
And the TPMS I use has nothing to do with tires...

Pmedic4
03-23-2018, 08:26 PM
And the TPMS I use has nothing to do with tires...

Is it configured to alert you to when you need to put on a new roll?

notanlines
03-24-2018, 03:02 AM
[QUOTE=vampress_me;278282]Hmm....50/50. But the best is in forward, of course! :)

Ann Lander settled this highly controversial subject about 30 years ago. TP should roll off the tube from the front. However at our house we don't subscribe to that decision. It rolls off from the back. (I started to say "from the rear" but I knew somebody would jump on my choice of wording)

Dave W
03-24-2018, 03:35 AM
Good grief - now well into 5 pages of bodily function helping hand devices. I sure am glad our 5er had a TP holder mounted before we nought it or could have gone through the same angst (though the was some before I mounted a hand towel ring, a towel rack and a robe hook:angel:).

Oh and an aluminum stud finder is not the same as standard wood version - a 25 some add-on to our new hand rail for our 5er

flybouy
03-24-2018, 03:42 AM
[QUOTE=vampress_me;278282]Hmm....50/50. But the best is in forward, of course! :)

Ann Lander settled this highly controversial subject about 30 years ago. TP should roll off the tube from the front. However at our house we don't subscribe to that decision. It rolls off from the back. (I started to say "from the rear" but I knew somebody would jump on my choice of wording)

Did you say "ROLL OFF"?:eek: Does this mean I need to search for a TP chock? :lol: What is the torque spec on those TP fasteners? Should my spare TP have a cover if it's out where sunlight can hit it? If I have more than one spare what's the proper rotation? (not when installed but WHEN to install). Is using TP for blowing your nose or removing make up or blotting a cut while shaving a misuse or abuse of the product? Is the brand that I've already purchased O.K.? So many questions. And here I thought I had this issue well in hand....:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

CrazyCain
03-24-2018, 03:55 AM

:lol::lol::lol::lol: I was just thinking the same thing...

ctbruce
03-24-2018, 05:41 AM
[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38] I was just thinking the same thing...I just love taking a thread in a new direction and letting peoples creative sides out of the box. Always a lot of fun. Helps ease cabin fever too.

Lots of new and creative contributions this time around.

Everybody, raise your right hand and then pat yourself on the back. Great job!

Fanjet
03-24-2018, 07:18 AM
Hey, why didn't the toilet paper cross the road? "It got stuck in a crack" :lol::lol::lol:

JRTJH
03-24-2018, 07:26 AM
I suppose "gone are the days of the magazine rack and Sears catalog ???"

I "crinkled a few pages" when at Grandma's. She never had indoor plumbing until her last few years. Even then, she wouldn't use the indoor toilet, always made the morning trek down behind the chicken coop to the outhouse, (but did enjoy her claw foot tub for a hot soak). She always said, "Anybody that would "poop" in their own house isn't clean." (Replace "poop" with the word she really used at your own risk)......

travelin texans
03-24-2018, 08:00 AM
Think I'll stir the pot (pun intended) a bit!
Rv tp or regular?
We (she insists, I don't care) ONLY use regular, rv tp is crappy (pun intended) & cost much more.

PAUSE. PAUSE

Did you get the popcorn during the pause?

vampress_me
03-24-2018, 08:14 AM
Think I'll stir the pot (pun intended) a bit!
Rv tp or regular?
We (she insists, I don't care) ONLY use regular, rv tp is crappy (pun intended) & cost much more.

PAUSE. PAUSE

Did you get the popcorn during the pause?

Didn’t get the popcorn, but went and got a Pepsi. Hehehe....depends on how it is to be used! If used strictly to manufacturer standards, RV is fine, usually. If used for some of the other purposes Flybouy stated - house, with as many plies as you can buy, or fold into it. :) There’s just something about having to use TP to blow your nose, and ending up with a handful of yuck because the TP disintegrated in your hand in 1 second flat. Ewww! Or better yet, just buy a box of Kleenex.

And now I shall sit back sipping my Pepsi....

JRTJH
03-24-2018, 08:27 AM
Hmmmm Lynette, that begs the question: Coke or Pepsi (now that RC and Big Cola are no longer on the shelf)...... Hmmmmm

As for blowing a nose on TP, every time I've done that I wound up with all those little shards of paper all over my shirt and chin..... I prefer Bounty "half sheets"... They're even stronger than Kleenex Man Size......

chuckster57
03-24-2018, 08:40 AM
Hmmmm Lynette, that begs the question: Coke or Pepsi (now that RC and Big Cola are no longer on the shelf)...... Hmmmmm

As for blowing a nose on TP, every time I've done that I wound up with all those little shards of paper all over my shirt and chin..... I prefer Bounty "half sheets"... They're even stronger than Kleenex Man Size......

Coke of course, because I AM A CLASSIC!!!! that new formula was like single ply RV paper..Not worth the bother. We sell a brand of 2 ply paper that the DW actually likes!!

CrazyCain
03-24-2018, 08:42 AM
https://youtu.be/0I0M5MIc4Fg

Looky this to start a whole new discussion.. LOL

ALso Coke or Pepsi.. Pop or Soda while you sitting on the commode contemplating all of lifes 7 wonders..Don't forget to flush...................

:facepalm:
:eek:

P.S Have the popcorn ready AFTER you out of the restroom, bathroom, Facilities, out house, pot hole, CG bath house, porta potty, tree, woods....
:lol:

FlyingAroundRV
03-24-2018, 10:24 AM

ALso Coke or Pepsi.. Pop or Soda while you sitting on the commode contemplating all of lifes 7 wonders..Don't forget to flush...................

P.S Have the popcorn ready AFTER you out of the restroom, bathroom, Facilities, out house, pot hole, CG bath house, porta potty, tree, woods....
WHAT!? Surely It has to be Dr Pepper... And did someone say RC is no longer available?
Noooooooooooooo...........
But we can still get A&W Rootbeer right? Right?

Anyway, we will be purchasing a TPMS for our 272UFL, but I overlooked getting a sensor for the bathroom. I wonder what the right amount of pressure is:bfart:

Bolo4u
03-24-2018, 10:27 AM

O. M. G. I'm guessing this is Napoleon Dynamites cousin?! The cheesy lounge music, mom in the background loading the dishwasher, and the singing talent. This was either a dare or doing it for a summer school extra credit grade? 🤣🤣

MerlinB
03-24-2018, 11:25 AM
O. M. G.!!! Will some moderator Pu-lease close this thread. I am wasting entirely too much time on it. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

JRTJH
03-24-2018, 11:40 AM
O. M. G.!!! Will some moderator Pu-lease close this thread. I am wasting entirely too much time on it. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

NO WAY !!!!! This is a test for "membership self control" so use it wisely, to determine if you pass, fail or need to retest......

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/word/this-is-right-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/word/this-is-wrong-smiley-emoticon.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

chuckster57
03-24-2018, 11:50 AM

It should be long enough now for you to finish your business before running out of reading material LOL!

vampress_me
03-24-2018, 01:38 PM

I’m loving how the guy in the video specifies a FRESH roll of toilet paper! :lol::lol::lol:

And - Pepsi, all the way!

fourfourto
03-24-2018, 02:10 PM

The original patent says front Ann was correct but I like it in the back
https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pages/US459516-0.png

JRTJH
03-25-2018, 02:39 AM
It must be "that time of the year".... This just popped up on Facebook this morning:

flybouy
03-25-2018, 05:33 AM
I don't know about the rest of you but after reading 7 pages of this I'm feeling "wiped".

jsmith948
03-25-2018, 06:06 AM
It must be "that time of the year".... This just popped up on Facebook this morning:

Now that's funny - theater of the mind:rolleyes:

Dave W
03-25-2018, 06:21 AM
I wonder if there is an RVers market for corn cobs :hide:

They were also available long before the Sears or Monkey Wards catalogs:whistling:

micar
03-25-2018, 07:49 AM
TPMS, stands for Toilet Paper Monitor System....right?....

ctbruce
03-25-2018, 07:58 AM
TPMS, stands for Toilet Paper Monitor System....right?....Yep, it watches for blow outs and low squares limits.

chuckster57
03-25-2018, 08:39 AM
After 7 pages is it time to reload a new roll? Or is this a "mega roll" kind of thread? :D

Fanjet
03-25-2018, 10:11 AM
Hey, why did the toilet paper roll down hill? "To get to the bottom" :lol::lol::lol: Nothing better than a good Dad joke!

Bolo4u
03-25-2018, 10:19 AM
This thread is the gift that keeps on giving, just like drinking from a giardia tainted stream.

CrazyCain
03-25-2018, 11:49 AM
Back to the beginning, i do not have TP mounted in my bathroom, why would I when i never use the toilet in my camper.... How dare!!!!

:D:rolleyes::eek::bow:
:whistling:
:whistling:

jsmith948
03-25-2018, 12:10 PM
Have only been a member of the forum a short time and I have learned that:
1. You should never use the toilet.
2. You should do all of your cooking outside over s smokey fire in a cast iron pot.
3. You have to drive at least 75mph while towing on LT tires

I think I'll sell the camper and get a tent. Then I can hang my to from a tree branch!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

CrazyCain
03-25-2018, 02:04 PM
^^^^^^^^ :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bolo4u
03-25-2018, 07:34 PM
Have only been a member of the forum a short time and I have learned that:
1. You should never use the toilet.
2. You should do all of your cooking outside over s smokey fire in a cast iron pot.
3. You have to drive at least 75mph while towing on LT tires

I think I'll sell the camper and get a tent. Then I can hang my to from a tree branch!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

And weights are only a number...

ctbruce
03-25-2018, 07:41 PM
And weights are only a number...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProWaits feel longer when waiting on the toilet...

CrazyCain
03-26-2018, 01:01 AM
Waits feel longer when waiting on the toilet...

Especially when the toilet paper roll is empty!!

:nonono: