PDA

View Full Version : New Hideout - No outside light

tedstr
03-13-2018, 08:45 PM
We purchased a new Hideout fifth wheel 292MLS. Really like the floorplan. Noticed that there is no outside light when approaching the RV in the dark. Was told that when Keystone added the led string lights under the awning, they deleted the outside white and yellow lights. Would like a light near the steps . We do not plan to leave the outside awning LED lights on when we leave.

Also have to go up the steps at night in the dark to locate the overhead lights. We do not feel confortable moving around in the dark. I know we could always use a flashlight but we have never had this problem with previous RVs, TT or fiver.

Has anyone added a light somewhere near the steps?

ctbruce
03-14-2018, 02:24 AM
You may want to consider adding a small set of LED's under the steps with an outside switch to control them. You could either leave them oln when you go out or turn them on when you approach. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Pbtman
03-14-2018, 04:32 AM
Our new Outback travel trailer did not come with outside switched lights either. It does have the yellow light and a yellow light at each door step (has 2 doors), but they must be turned on at the control panel inside. I usually just leave those on if we leave the rv at night and hope that I’m not annoying my neighbors.

canesfan
03-14-2018, 06:56 AM
I've been noticing quite a few newer models without a "porch light". Another cost cutting measure to be sure. My porch lights are more like flood lights, great if you need to light up half the CG. Keystone was nice enough to put a yellow marker light under my main steps, but neglected to put one under the garage door steps (that would have cost another $1 or 2). I got a small LED stick on strip at Wmart, cut it in half and wired one to the yellow step light and ran a wire back to my rear steps and put the second strip there. I taped them up under the steps pointing down and they are just right for adding a little light that can be left on without being annoying when needed.

fourfourto
03-14-2018, 07:36 AM
you could put a small wire(loop or switch) in trailer plug and the running lights would stay on.
I seen infomercials they have motion battery operated spot lights

sourdough
03-14-2018, 09:10 AM
We leave the porch light on with the under step light at times and at others we don't. We have motion activated LED lamp located under the middle step that lights up when we are about 4-5' away and it works great. We've had no issues with animals since there shouldn't be any in front of the trailer at night....

laidback
03-14-2018, 04:03 PM
As seen on TV solar powered Motion light next to door with double sided tape. Works great and hasn't fallen off in a year.

Canonman
03-14-2018, 07:09 PM
These look like they might fit the bill. We were thinking of using something like this before we wired the under awning lights to our remote. We often return to the Cougar after dark and needed a light to safely approach and enter the trailer.
www.amazon.com/Litom-Wireless-Lighting-Waterproof-Security/dp/B01JS285JS/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_263_bs_lp_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=S1BF4KQV1H67RF3CQVM9

saltyturtle
03-15-2018, 01:41 AM
We also did not have a "porch light" on our new 2017 Alpine 3401 RS, but only a useless yellow light under the stairs and the awning light. I found a battery powered, motion detector led light at Amazon that we Velcro to the slide out right by the door and it works great. I have found solar lights to be too dim to be much good.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JPRANLK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We don't like leaving the bright awning light on while we are gone. Just remember to remove it before closing the slideout!!!

CaptnJohn
03-16-2018, 09:31 AM
I bought battery operated motion detecter lights for the hallway and bathrooms in the s&b in case the power goes out. Not a fan of solar.

tedstr
03-18-2018, 07:14 AM
My dealer thinks he can put a yellow light over the door with an outside switch. We will also put a white motion detector light under the stairs. capt John's suggestion of motion lights in the hallway and stairs to provide light coming inside at night and for any midnight bathroom visits.