PDA

View Full Version : Slide & flooring question

Cb6089
03-13-2018, 08:38 PM
Ok y’all I just recently installed laminate flooring in my camper & I’m not satisfied with it. I found a vinyl rug that I’d rather have... my question is do I have to remove the laminate will it make it too thick?? I sure don’t wanna mess my rug up.. thanks

ctbruce
03-14-2018, 02:27 AM
We have throw rugs we put down and take up again before closing the slides. Doesn't take much and it's better for keeping the trailer clean with the dogs. Would that not work?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Retired Copper
03-14-2018, 02:40 AM
The only problem you might encounter is if you have slideouts. Replace a floor in a Jayco with 2 slides with one of those free floating interlocking wood floors 3 years ago. Turned out really nice and made a solid floor; trimmed out of course. On the larger slide the slide cut a shallow groove on the floor on one side, but no problem with the slide or the floor to date.

Retired Copper
03-14-2018, 02:47 AM
Forgot to mention that I did stop the floor after I made sure the carpet would cover the wood so the slide had room to lift up without catching the corner of the wood.

JRTJH
03-14-2018, 07:46 AM
One critical item not yet considered is weight. Many older trailers had limited cargo capacity and more than enough storage space to "hide stuff" which made it very easy to overload the GVW. Adding a laminate floor is not a "weight saving modification" so that's all "dead weight" that comes directly off the GVW.

If you're going to cover the laminate, you're going to increase the trailer weight with needless (unnecessary) weight that does nothing to improve the structural integrity of the trailer.

So, if you don't like an "added floor covering" I'd urge you to remove it before you install something over the space. That way you eliminate excess weight that you'll pay to tow on every trip. It may not seem like much extra weight, but a typical laminate floor can easily weight 500 pounds or more. That can easily be a burden to tow and can cause significant problems if it's added to an already "close to GVW trailer".... I'd urge you to remove it if you don't like it. It doesn't help improve the trailer and there's lots of downsides to leaving it in place.

Cb6089
03-24-2018, 06:09 PM
I’m thinking I may have to angle the last row of my laminate flooring in order for the slide to come in easily
Has anyone else had any issues after installing new flooring with the slide?

wiredgeorge
03-28-2018, 01:38 PM
The row of laminate tiles, like the Allure with the self-stick edge we used, is angled a bit as the area under the carpet isn't real flat. I use four 1/4" pieces of plywood cut 6" wide and two are about 2' long and two are about 3' long.

To use these slats, I pull in the slide about 18" and push the shorter slats under the outside edges and longer towards the middle. When I pull the slide in, the slats tends to be pulled in so I have to stop the slide and push them all the way back under and do this about twice during the process of pulling in the slats.

One row of Allure vinyl didn't want to stick; it was the 2nd row in from the slide. The first row next to the slide isn't level and the tiles didn't get enough pressure on the adhesive to keep stuck. I used a little silicon adhesive glue along this line and set heavy stuff on it till it cured a bit and now is fine.

The slide will scratch the vinyl if you don't use something between the slide and vinyl. I put slats in AFTER the slide is moved in a bit because the slide sort of tips up and it is easier to insert the slats at that point. I am very glad we used the stuff. Leave about 3/16" gap on the edges and cover with 1/4" round and you won't have issues with expansion/contraction.