PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

Belll5Iowa
03-04-2018, 09:27 PM
We brought home our new Cougar 5th wheel, yesterday. Thought we did a good job with the inspection. Today when we were stocking our camper I noticed that under the bathroom sink both areas where the pvc pipe and the water lines come up through the floor, neither hole has any foam sprayed into them. Is this on purpose or was it not caught at the factory? Looks like a perfect place for mice, and insects to get in. Does anyone recommend a good foam spray? Or any other ideas? T.I.A.

rsl
03-05-2018, 12:25 AM
Do those holes go into a compartment or the outside world?
If they go to the outside world stuff some steel wool in the holes before you foam them.
If you use foam then use the low expansion stuff (the window and door crack filler)

TAZ23
03-05-2018, 12:49 AM
Yep, that pretty much the norm in the RV world. The plastic collar is inserted to prevent the lines from rubbing on the plywood. Check under the kitchen sink also. I have not seen any RV's that are advertised as mouse proof from the factory.
There will also be other places to seal up such as where the front landing gear comes out of the RV. I use both spray foam and either steel or copper wool depending on where and what you are filling. I would get under the trailer and look for any little gaps from front to back and fill them all to keep mice and critters out.

Dave W
03-05-2018, 05:22 AM
Yes, normal for virtually every brand. I spent hours closing holes where bugs and rodents could and did enter. Look underneath every sink, the HW heater from inside, as well as the belly and fill those holes. The steel wool mentioned above - find some stainless version. Ours came from a dollar store for a --- buck per package of 2 or 3.

rhagfo
03-05-2018, 06:07 AM
Use the black pool and pond sealer, meant for being used outside.

Hodgy
03-05-2018, 06:25 AM

Pitiful way to assemble any RV. I have already filled a few holes last fall, when it warms up I will dig into it more.

Steveo57
03-05-2018, 06:39 AM
It shouldn't be normal but unfortunately it's what passes as good enough. Our new Cougar trailer has the enclosed underbelly so all the big holes in the floor are not directly open to the outside but still can see daylight through places that aren't sealed tightly in the underbelly.

I'll be going through and filling and sealing everything. You don't want critters to infest your new home as they will destroy it in no time at all!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

jsmith948
03-05-2018, 07:43 AM
Low expansion spray foam would work as would high density foam stuffed in the gap. We did that on our last trailer in order to keep the cold air from the storage compartment entering the bathroom. You could also use duct tape to neatly seal the hole.

Pull Toy
03-05-2018, 03:08 PM
TIN FOIL... won't rust, mice proof!

Good Luck, and enjoy!

ncgrl1
03-05-2018, 04:11 PM
This stuff works good...
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GREAT-STUFF-16-oz-Pestblock-Insulating-Foam-Sealant-with-Quick-Stop-Straw-99053993/207077796

ThePressureIsOn
03-10-2018, 05:47 AM
Copper scrubbers are also a good alternative to steel wool, they won't rust.