PDA

View Full Version : Stabilizers

Fredcook
03-03-2018, 02:28 AM
As anyone used the tire stabilizers that go between the tires and if so do they help with the motion in the camper? I was told it would but i have not bought any yet. Thanks

WNY Bullet
03-03-2018, 02:58 AM
I wanted to because I heard the same thing, but I don't know if they make one large enough for my Bullet Premier. The axles are spaced so far apart. The spec's say that they are spaced 43" apart. Has anyone found a set that works on wide spaced axles?

Bmackr6
03-03-2018, 03:11 AM
I use a set of x chocks between the tires and it does make a pretty big difference. Especially with heavy footed people walking around. Seems to stabilize that front and back motion quite a bit.
The DW was especially impressed.
The kids up in the bunks rollin’ around like a jungle gym is a whole separate issue lol!

I always still chock the front and back of the trailer tires, not solely relying on the x chock to keep the trailer in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuckster57
03-03-2018, 04:32 AM
I’ve used X chocks since about 2007 and I can tell the difference. BAL does make a set for wide track
http://norcoind.com/bal/products/consumer/chocks/chocks.shtml

WNY Bullet
03-03-2018, 04:47 AM
I’ve used X chocks since about 2007 and I can tell the difference. BAL does make a set for wide track
http://norcoind.com/bal/products/consumer/chocks/chocks.shtml

Thanks for the link!

If I'm using the Anderson levelers on one side of the trailer with included chocks, would I still use the X-Chock on that side too to help with movement?

flybouy
03-03-2018, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the link!

If I'm using the Anderson levelers on one side of the trailer with included chocks, would I still use the X-Chock on that side too to help with movement?

I use the Anderson levelers and the X chocks. The Anderson levelers are "cradle" shaped and will still allow movement as the chock on it is intended to narrow the cradle up the incline to hold the position and will not stop movement as efficiently as locking the tread of the tires on the two axles. Think of it this way, if you have a drive wheel on your vehicle that's sunk in the mud the mud will have formed a cradled shape around the tire. You extricate it by rocking forward and back until you climb that radius and get back on level ground. Hope this helps.

chuckster57
03-03-2018, 06:19 AM
I use lynx leveler blocks.

madmaxmutt
03-03-2018, 06:35 AM
I have used a couple of Camco aluminum jacks between the axles along with x-chocks on both trailers now. I will say the trailer with torsion axles was easier to stabilize than the one with leaf springs. In either case, you have to stop the suspension from reacting to movement in the trailer.

The torsion axles only had to be snug to the frame. The leaf spring axles need to literally raise the frame up about 1/2". Once I do that, the regular stabilizers just hit the ground and it is fine.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

earlzach
03-03-2018, 05:27 PM
X chock all day no sway!!! Worth every penny. But two.

TLB
03-04-2018, 09:30 AM
I use the extended X Chock. They are great.

hondapro87
03-04-2018, 06:40 PM
I use the Anderson levelers and use the extended x chock they work well.

Owl
03-04-2018, 06:47 PM
I used some DIY Xchocks and they worked quite well. I did make the mistake of not using regular chicks as well and almost had a catastrophe on a very unlevel spot.

Cracker
03-23-2018, 06:42 AM
Be aware that, if your decorative fender skirts dip down between the wheels, the installation of the X-stabilizers is a bit more difficult. On my rig I found that I could remove the metal brace that runs from the bottom of the skirt to the chassis, between the tires, without affecting the skirt significantly strength-wise. I then have to install the stabilizers upside down (operating nut on the bottom) leaving the screw end free to protrude up behind the skirt. Works for me!

bshipley78
03-26-2018, 08:09 PM
Been using the Bal X-chocks on my 29RBK travel trailer and I can tell a difference...I can even notice if they are not tight enough when the air pressure changes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Cqyqte
03-27-2018, 09:10 AM
I recently got a set of these http://www.campingworld.com/fastway-onestep-chock-2-packWhen set up right they apply considerable force against each tire prevently them from moving in either direction. Then I install four aluminum stands that cradle the leaf spring hangers on each side of the fram and then lower the OEM stabilizers to the ground. This stops the frme from moving on the leaf springs in the middle. But today's RV frames are pretty light and extremely flexible. Just walking from one side of the trail to the other causes the cross beams to deflect... the frames are not super stiff. If they were we would see stress cracks all over after the first trip.

Cracker
03-28-2018, 04:13 PM
I had a great set of stabilizers for my Airstream. Once they were properly adjusted all you had to do was put them in place and push down on the actuating lever. They were made out of cast aluminum, and if I could find a set that would fit my Cougar I’d buy them in a heartbeat!

Tinner12002
03-29-2018, 02:24 AM
I've never used any kind of stabilizers, noticed a little wiggle on past RVs but nothing seems to move on current one with 6-point. Only use chocks if I'm on uneven ground as I use the RV brake when I connect and disconnect the truck so if something ever started to move I still have brake control.