PDA

View Full Version : Where to Hardwire Surge Protector

WanderOne
02-25-2018, 08:04 PM
Hi,

I have a new 2018 Cougar 25RES 5w and I have not found yet where I can access the main 50AMP wires that come into the trailer at the back? I would like to install a Progressive Industries HW50C hardwire version. I know I need some room and also to connect into main wires coming into the trailer before they go to anything else for proper protection.

Anyone know where I might look. Otherwise I will just get the portable and put a lock on it.

Thanks

chuckster57
02-25-2018, 08:08 PM
Pull the breaker panel. The EMS has to go anywhere BEFORE the main breakers. There may be room behind it.

JRTJH
02-25-2018, 08:12 PM
The input power goes directly to the power center. There is a ROMEX 10W3 line from that inlet shore power connector to the back side of the power center main circuit breaker. There are no (at least not supposed to be) any branch lines before the main circuit breaker. So, you can disconnect shore power, remove the 4 screws that hold the power center in place, pull it out (there is sufficient wiring to allow you to pull it out of the mount location) and install the EMS there.

WanderOne
02-25-2018, 08:20 PM
Is the "Power Center" the fuse box under the oven? (on mine) Some how I pull that out and then there should be room to mount the surge protector onto a wall or frame?

Just got the trailer so excuse the unfamiliarity with it.

chuckster57
02-25-2018, 08:33 PM
Yes power center is the fuse/breaker box. Fuses on one side and breakers on the other. Should be Roberts (square) head #2 screws.

TheGriz
02-25-2018, 08:56 PM
Hi,

I have a new 2018 Cougar 25RES 5w and I have not found yet where I can access the main 50AMP wires that come into the trailer at the back? I would like to install a Progressive Industries HW50C hardwire version. I know I need some room and also to connect into main wires coming into the trailer before they go to anything else for proper protection.

Anyone know where I might look. Otherwise I will just get the portable and put a lock on it.

Thanks

WanderOne...I went through everything you are right now. I started a thread a month ago. Check it out, as my panel is also under the oven. Tremendous amount of info in that thread should help you:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31690&highlight=surge+protector

Good luck,
Mike

WanderOne
02-26-2018, 08:10 AM
WanderOne...I went through everything you are right now. I started a thread a month ago. Check it out, as my panel is also under the oven. Tremendous amount of info in that thread should help you:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31690&highlight=surge+protector

Good luck,
Mike

There was something in the post that you sent about rubber gourmets under unit due to the Humm. Do you notice that?

Tom

Whity
02-26-2018, 09:37 AM
Before you go in there unplug the shore power and you should also disconnect the battery.

WanderOne
02-26-2018, 10:17 AM
Before you go in there unplug the shore power and you should also disconnect the battery.

Was planning on both but thanks for the confirm.

TheGriz
02-26-2018, 01:36 PM
There was something in the post that you sent about rubber gourmets under unit due to the Humm. Do you notice that?

Tom

I'm about halfway through the install as I type. Don't like being twisted up like a pretzel...needed a break! Will apprise of any hum shortly...hopefully not.

Mike

WanderOne
02-27-2018, 08:34 AM
I'm about halfway through the install as I type. Don't like being twisted up like a pretzel...needed a break! Will apprise of any hum shortly...hopefully not.

Mike

Well how did it go? Did you go the the chiropractor after?

TheGriz
02-27-2018, 05:50 PM
Well how did it go? Did you go the the chiropractor after?

All done with install of PI EMS 50 amp hardwire w/ remote. Wish I could say easy peazy. Wasn't hard, wiring was straight forward if one knows the basics of electrical wiring. It was just difficult to access and install, and working w/6awg wire sucks. Everything seems to get a little more difficult as the years pass. But its done, I have the satisfaction doing it myself, and knowing it's done right!!!

Working perfectly. Very minimal hum, hardly noticeable. Put mounting screws through 1/4" rubber pads isolating unit from the lauan 'sounding board'. Inside the base cabinet under sink I can't hear any hum at all!!

Took off the inside molding on left side of rear door to outside 4" from base cabinet. Cut a couple shallow 3/16" dados on backside of molding. Ran the remote wire (same as telephone wire from wall to phone...remember them?) through the dados and between the door jam and wall. Replaced molding. Mounted the remote up by the TT control panel.

Pics pending.

Mike

P.S. - Heating pad, lazy boy, Gentleman Jack, and I are having a Come to Jesus meeting right now.

chuckster57
02-27-2018, 06:52 PM
Sounds like ya done good! :thumbsup:

TheGriz
02-27-2018, 07:26 PM
Sounds like ya done good! :thumbsup:

Thanks Chuck!

WanderOne
02-28-2018, 09:14 AM
Thanks to the report.

TheGriz
03-01-2018, 12:16 PM
Sorry for the duplicative posts on the same EMS install, but my project status got bifurcated. The pictures of the installation can be seen on this thread, post #105: http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=275343&posted=1#post275343

johnsoa2
11-27-2019, 04:56 PM
Good evening WanderOne,
We have the Cougar 25Res, too. Well, we just signed the paperwork, but it is still up at the dealer. How did your install of the EMS Progressive HW50C go? Dealer quoting us 4 hours of labor because he has to pull out the oven. I am getting up the gumption to DIY!

travelin texans
11-27-2019, 05:00 PM
Good evening,
We have the Cougar 25Res, too. Well, we just signed the paperwork, but it is still up at the dealer. How did your install of the EMS Progressive HW50C go? Dealer quoting us 4 hours of labor because he has to pull out the oven. I am getting up the gumption to DIY!

Buy the portable & save the gumption.

chuckster57
11-27-2019, 07:09 PM
Does your trailer have the Furrion seperate cook top and oven? If so he is still a bit out of line IMO. I can see 2 hrs total time.

If you do DIY, make sure you test for LP leaks at the stove and oven.

DDG
11-28-2019, 05:42 AM
I have a question on a Progressive EMS-HW 50c. I think in read in a post that was a few years old that you will have problems with the Ems not letting power thru if you run generators is this true. Thanks for any help. Happy Thanksgiving to all. DDG

chuckster57
11-28-2019, 06:21 AM
I have a question on a Progressive EMS-HW 50c. I think in read in a post that was a few years old that you will have problems with the Ems not letting power thru if you run generators is this true. Thanks for any help. Happy Thanksgiving to all. DDG

I know the Honda gens will cause the EMS to display “open ground”, but there is a fix.

DDG
11-28-2019, 06:58 AM
Chuck is the fix a ground plug for the generators. I was going to make one for them. I have 2 Powerhouse 2000 gens. Thanks for the help. DDG

Logan X
11-28-2019, 07:18 AM

It is true but the issue can easily be solved in several ways. That unit comes with a bypass switch will will bypass the EMS for use with your generator. Also, you can easily make or buy a bonded plug. A bonded plug connects the neutral and the ground terminals on the plug and when it is plugged into a generator, it eliminates the open ground signal that the EMS unit is seeing.

I prefer using a bonded plug with the generator instead of bypassing the EMS unit, so that my trailer is protected by the EMS while I’m using the generator.

Here is a video on bonded plugs

https://youtu.be/iFpm04iJdGw

Happy Thanksgiving

DDG
11-28-2019, 07:36 AM
Thanks Logan X for the video I will make a bonded plug for the gens. It should only have to have one plug on main lead gen. Thanks DDG

DanielH
01-28-2021, 07:11 PM
Any videos out there to hard wire a Hughes 50 EPO in a 2019 Cougar 29RKS

DDG
01-29-2021, 08:45 AM
DanielH, I did a PI 50ems in my 2017 Cougar 28rks last year. The 50amp outside plug in is on the back wall. I made sure that all power was disconnected from camper. It took about 2 hours to it. The hard part was bending the 6ga wire to where you need it. I have the remote mounted just above the lp gas detector on the back wall. I had no problems with it and I like the hard wire so I don't have to worry when I pull out did I leave anything behind. DDG

Northofu1
01-29-2021, 09:19 AM
DanielH, I did a PI 50ems in my 2017 Cougar 28rks last year. The 50amp outside plug in is on the back wall. I made sure that all power was disconnected from camper. It took about 2 hours to it. The hard part was bending the 6ga wire to where you need it. I have the remote mounted just above the lp gas detector on the back wall. I had no problems with it and I like the hard wire so I don't have to worry when I pull out did I leave anything behind. DDG

I did the same last spring, that 6ga is fun to work with if it's cold.

jasin1
01-29-2021, 12:59 PM
I know it’s easy enough to make one but I just got lazy

JRTJH
01-29-2021, 01:17 PM
I know it’s easy enough to make one but I just got lazy

Just a note of caution: If you're contemplating saving $10, and decide to make your own, please MAKE CERTAIN IT'S THE NEUTRAL THAT YOU TIE TO GROUND ON THE PLUG !!!!! If you tie the hot lead to ground, not only will you have issues keeping the generator circuit breaker working, you'll also stand a very good chance of not being physically able to pull the starter rope again since the generator may not be the only thing you kill !!!!!

Make sure you know what you're doing !!!!!!

jasin1
01-29-2021, 01:22 PM
Just a note of caution: If you're contemplating saving $10, and decide to make your own, please MAKE CERTAIN IT'S THE NEUTRAL THAT YOU TIE TO GROUND ON THE PLUG !!!!! If you tie the hot lead to ground, not only will you have issues keeping the generator circuit breaker working, you'll also stand a very good chance of not being physically able to pull the starter rope again since the generator may not be the only thing you kill !!!!!

Make sure you know what you're doing !!!!!!

Yes and also if you make one then for the life of that little plug you constantly have to make sure the wire doesn’t come loose in the connector from throwing it around the truck and rv when not using it. I liked the idea of a factory sealed unit that won’t have any chance of coming apart from handling it constantly.

JRTJH
01-29-2021, 01:53 PM
Yes and also if you make one then for the life of that little plug you constantly have to make sure the wire doesn’t come loose in the connector from throwing it around the truck and rv when not using it. I liked the idea of a factory sealed unit that won’t have any chance of coming apart from handling it constantly.

Yup... You can "do the same thing" with a 6" piece of an old coat hanger... But, the question becomes, "Why" ???? Sometimes the "durability and human design" of a commercial product just far outweighs the "hands on/save a buck" approach.... For me, this is one of those products.... YMMV