PDA

View Full Version : Door hinge issues/replacement ...

twvette
02-23-2018, 08:36 AM
My outside storage doors have a hinge that is basically a curved metal piece on the frame and a similar curved metal piece on the door to act as a hinge. The two slide together and the door rotates within it with plastic stops inserted at both end to keep the door from sliding off. I noticed paint wearing off initially and now it has got to the point the door wont close or might even fall off as the piece on the door is apparently not mating well and starts bending with normal closing. Anyways, anyone else having issues with this hinge style? I have tried a couple times now carefully bending the metal back in place but it seems needs to be near perfect for any chance to hold up long term. This design seems like an attempt to "reinvent the wheel" and not the greatest idea.

I would like to try replacing the piece on the door. It is actually two pieces that are riveted to the one side on the frame around the door. Anyone seen these anywhere for purchase or had luck replacing them?

mikz86ta
02-23-2018, 06:39 PM
I know what ur talking about but don't know where to acquire the setup.
Our Fuzion 420 has had a slight loose fit door where you do your 'hook-ups'. The top is loose (vertical hinged) and slight play when it's halfway opened. But right when closed. I noticed also some of the black paint is wore down to aluminum also at that end. I suspect it's a factory defect and may got tweaked. I try not to mess with it much as I see it's a 1pc assembly.

Side note.....why didn't they put a gas strut or magnetic catch there? When u got it open for hooking up or service, the wind blows that door around

Tinner12002
02-24-2018, 05:45 AM
My outside storage doors have a hinge that is basically a curved metal piece on the frame and a similar curved metal piece on the door to act as a hinge. The two slide together and the door rotates within it with plastic stops inserted at both end to keep the door from sliding off. I noticed paint wearing off initially and now it has got to the point the door wont close or might even fall off as the piece on the door is apparently not mating well and starts bending with normal closing. Anyways, anyone else having issues with this hinge style? I have tried a couple times now carefully bending the metal back in place but it seems needs to be near perfect for any chance to hold up long term. This design seems like an attempt to "reinvent the wheel" and not the greatest idea.

I would like to try replacing the piece on the door. It is actually two pieces that are riveted to the one side on the frame around the door. Anyone seen these anywhere for purchase or had luck replacing them?

I think you may find the complete replacement door and frame on Trewood RV parts. Some of the different sized doors are listed with a piano hinge but the baggage doors have, I believe the same as what yours has. Its hard to tell in the pics, but door size for door size they should be the same hinge type. I have the same type hinge on my raptor so its something I'll watch.

twvette
03-01-2018, 01:10 PM
I think you may find the complete replacement door and frame on Trewood RV parts. Some of the different sized doors are listed with a piano hinge but the baggage doors have, I believe the same as what yours has. Its hard to tell in the pics, but door size for door size they should be the same hinge type. I have the same type hinge on my raptor so its something I'll watch.

Thanks! Almost certain it is this door from Tekwood as I was measuring only the inside door rather than the framed opening:
http://www.trekwood.com/products.php?product_id=599019

Trying to get Keystone to warranty it as just outside of warranty, but at least I now have another option.