PDA

View Full Version : Floor

Fredapryer
02-20-2018, 05:27 PM
I found the camper I purchased had a leak. We thought it was the window as we were told before we purchased it. We got a week of rain, then we began to see the carpet was wet beside the bedroom window. On the other side of the bedroom, the floor has a weak spot, the carpet along the wall turned orange. What can I do to repair this without taking the whole bedroom apart? By the way, it had cracks on the roof we repaired them, waiting for rain.

Tbos
02-20-2018, 05:35 PM
You are going to have to pull up the carpet to see what you are dealing with. Get a dehumidifier in there to dry everything out. Let us know what you find.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

Fredapryer
02-20-2018, 05:42 PM
We did that, that's when I notice the carpet had turned orange and was coming up as I pulled at it. We will try to take the carpet up, in that corner is it a certain way you have to go about it.

Tbos
02-20-2018, 05:50 PM
Fortunately I have not had to do it before. I don’t know if they use nail boards like they do in a house. Since you may need to replace it anyway I think I’d just see if you can pull it up from a corner. Hopefully someone that has done it will chime in. There are a couple folks that have done just about everything at one time or another on this forum.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2016 F350 CC DRW

travelin texans
02-20-2018, 06:03 PM
Mine had no tack strip like residential, but did have thousands of staples, they must get paid by the staple. You should be able to just pull the carpet up & then pull the staples that didn't stay in the carpet.
Your problem is the way these things are built, the floor is 1st, including carpet & tile/linoleum, then everything including the exterior walls are built on top of the floor.
Unfortunately water is the worst enemy of a rv, usually once you've found the leak source it's already done the damage.
I had an old 5er with water damage & ended up laying new 1/2" plywood over what was left of the old after removing as much damage as possible.
Hopefully someone has better suggestions for you!

chuckster57
02-20-2018, 06:19 PM
Yup, lots of staples at the edges! I think the factory gets a discount on quantity so they use more and more!